Rules of engagement.

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by PVR-Please, May 27, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Does any one know what the rules of engagement are regarding cats. Is it the same as dogs worrying stock ?

I saw one commit bodily harm to one of my chickens, not much harm this time, I ran the fcuker down screaming at it so it dropped the chicken and with drew.

I'm worried now it's going to come back for more easy pickings.

We love in the middle of 25 acres, not mine I might add, so no idea where it came from or who owns the little fecker.

I have friends who'd drop it for me, but I don't want to run foul of the law for slotting some one's fluffykins.

Upshot is should I be nice and ask around or just put the contract out to tender.

2. bolt forward, stock in shoulder, safty off , sight picture, check backdrop, slow squeeze and all done , just need to grab a shovel and make it dissapear, job done!

3. Shoot it and if you have to say you thought it was a mink/large rat, some years ago myself and a police mate shot a load of cats/dogs on a farm just outside Cardiff as there had been some livstock attacked, using Mini 14s.Don't think it would go down to well now

4. I quite like cats and wouldn't normally shoot the little gitz, however; shooting Gormet Daves Insanity Sauce at the bugga with an air pistol normally does the trick - funny as feck as you watch it lciking it off itself.

They do tend to avoid the area after their tongue starts working again

5. I have been informed by the local police (Scotland) that if any animal is worrying or predating on stock, you have the legal right to protect your stock. If this means shooting so be it. Cat owners are, in general one of the most ignorant of 'pet' owners. They think that their moggies have the god given right to go where they want and do what they want. They forget that they are an introduced species and do great harm to wildlife, songbirds in particular.

I had this issue, told all the local cat owners what I would do if I found them near my birds but they failed to believe me. To date I have shot over 40 cats in and around my birds and over 400, yes 400 feral cats on the hill.

Interestingly I now have owners coming up to me and asking me not to shoot their moggies. Standard reply, keep the bl**dy things in your homes, if not they will come to the birds and I will kill them.

6. Do you shoot them with the .338? I hate cats almost as much as grey squirrels - they do similar harm. Keep up the good work!

7. Never used the 338 on cats, too noisy and a somewhat expensive way of dealing with the problem. I have used the 338 on a crow though. Complete miss at 600m but the round went in under the bird. Resulting mud splash killed said crow which was pretty impressive for those watching. :twisted:

Cats are tough beasts. Being drilled with 5.56 FMJ will not immediately put the thing down, 55g Vmax will turn them inside out on the spot.

8. No sh1t Tonto :twisted:

9. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

NO, NO and NO!

Shooting cats is completely wrong, and will subject you or anyone whgo does so to the full effect of the law - firearms law. Don't even think about risking it.

10. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

You may wish to consider sneaking up on it, or enticing it with biscuits, and when it's within range, flatten it with the same shovel you are going to bury it with.

11. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Pest control on my FAC, that includes cats predating on game or livestock in my case chickens!

12. Pest control when said cat is predating on stock, in my case hens, ducks (some quite valuable), pheasants and ornamentals. Police fully in the picture and more than happy with the measures already taken.

13. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Oddly enough in law a cat is the only pet where the owner isnt liable for the damage it causes!