Rules for a foreigner to get the Sierra Leone OSM

Discussion in 'Medals' started by fantassin, Aug 29, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have recently come accross a French officer who wears, in his "rack" a British OSM. I understood he was in SL at some point as an LNO but I don't know where/when/with which organisation.

For me, this is a unique case of a serving French military personel sporting a British campaign medal, I have never met or heard of any other.

Simple question: were some OSM awarded to foreigners for service in Sierra Leone with/alngsides the British forces or is this medal strictly reserved to British service members ?

Thanks in advance.

2. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

So maybe he served with the Paras in SL, got bored, joined the Foreign Legion, did his five, was offered and accepted a commission, at which point he became a French regular officer?

Just a thought.

3. No, he is a mainstream officer, not a "titre étranger".

4. CanteenCowboy

CanteenCowboy LE Book Reviewer

Why? Are you jealous?

5. He might have been awarded it if he was serving with IMATT during the qualifying period as there was a number of foreign advisors attached to the team. Don't know for sure as I served after the qualifying period when no gong was awarded.

6. Accuse him of being a "Gaut" and then radish him vigourously until he admits his heinous crime!

(Walter = Gauthier)

• Like Like x 1
  7. As you may have noticed in my initial message, I am not accusing him of anything. I am just curious to know whether this is a unique case or not.

As for "gauthier", I will think about it !

8. I disagree, you said he was a "French Officer," that's a pretty damaging accusation to make about anyone........

9. Two I thought.