Rules for a foreigner to get the Sierra Leone OSM

I have recently come accross a French officer who wears, in his "rack" a British OSM. I understood he was in SL at some point as an LNO but I don't know where/when/with which organisation.

For me, this is a unique case of a serving French military personel sporting a British campaign medal, I have never met or heard of any other.

Simple question: were some OSM awarded to foreigners for service in Sierra Leone with/alngsides the British forces or is this medal strictly reserved to British service members ?

Thanks in advance.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
So maybe he served with the Paras in SL, got bored, joined the Foreign Legion, did his five, was offered and accepted a commission, at which point he became a French regular officer?

Just a thought.

CanteenCowboy

LE
Book Reviewer
I have recently come accross a French officer who wears, in his "rack" a British OSM. I understood he was in SL at some point as an LNO but I don't know where/when/with which organisation.

For me, this is a unique case of a serving French military personel sporting a British campaign medal, I have never met or heard of any other.

Simple question: were some OSM awarded to foreigners for service in Sierra Leone with/alngsides the British forces or is this medal strictly reserved to British service members ?

Thanks in advance.
Why? Are you jealous?

Thanks in advance.
He might have been awarded it if he was serving with IMATT during the qualifying period as there was a number of foreign advisors attached to the team. Don't know for sure as I served after the qualifying period when no gong was awarded.

As you may have noticed in my initial message, I am not accusing him of anything. I am just curious to know whether this is a unique case or not.

As for "gauthier", I will think about it !

As you may have noticed in my initial message, I am not accusing him of anything. I am just curious to know whether this is a unique case or not.

As for "gauthier", I will think about it !
I disagree, you said he was a "French Officer," that's a pretty damaging accusation to make about anyone........

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
G The Intelligence Cell 2
GunnersQuadrant Juniors 55
G The Intelligence Cell 11