Rule change will let Gurkhas settle in Britain

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Rumrunner, May 18, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Rule change will let Gurkhas settle in Britain
    By Thomas Bell in Kathmandu
    (Filed: 18/05/2006)

For my part, this is really good news. Its about time that the British Government recognised the debt of honour we owe these loyal servants of the Crown. Get rid of the bogus political asylum seekers and allow these brave men and their families a chance of a better life. It should have happened years ago!
  2. I couldn't agree more. I don't normally like to post one-liners on a serious topic, but you've said it all.
  3. This is probably one of the best things that the government has done for the Gurkhas. To reward their loyalty and dedication this is the least that could be done. My father supports a charity that is involved in welfare for the older ex-servicemen in Nepal. He never ceases to mention the years he served with them and the total dedication to duty, honour and professionalism they displayed.

4. Interesting.

I can't say I blame them and if anyone deserves to settle in this country they do.

However, if the incentive for the Nepalese government to allow the UK to recruit Gurkhas was the general benefit derived from the pensions how long will that willingness continue if this becomes the norm?

Granted that the pensions granted to those serving in the Indian Army is much smaller but there are many more Gurkhas in the Indian Army. As far as I am aware settling in India is not part of the TACOS.
  5. Thoroughly deserved and about time.

Good news for them and good news for Ikea.
  6. Not before time, either.

7. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

Brilliant news! About time too!!!!
  8. Brilliant. I hope that it's everything they want it to be and more. Now, when are we going to get a Gurkha Curry House in Catterick? I'll be your biggest customer! I hope that some of them settle up this way. There's a small service community, but we can do with some of the old lads. It will give the younger element some contact with home and provide them with role models. I'm really pleased for them.
  9. Some of the recently demobbed Ghurkhas have settled in very well in Llanelli (Wales), not too far from me. Several drive busses and there is a Ghurkha Curry House in the town. They are well thought of and attracted some considerable favourable local press coverage.

Good luck to them all, they really do deserve it