Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rule Britannia and the BBC Being Woke

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
surely you mean this stuff ... Umqombothi - Wikipedia.
snip Umqombothi (Xhosa pronunciation: [um̩k͡ǃomboːtʰi]), from the Xhosa and Zulu language, is a beer made from maize (corn), maize malt, sorghum malt, yeast and water. It is commonly found in South Africa. It is very rich in vitamin B. The beer has a rather low alcohol content (usually less than 3%) and is known to have a heavy and distinctly sour aroma. In appearance, the beer is opaque and light tan in colour. It has a thick, creamy and gritty consistency (from the maize).

View attachment 511112

very similar to the stuff served in the African beerhalls in N Rhodesia when I was there. My police loved it and when I left made sure I bought my men umpteen gallons of it for them to have a bit of a do.
They used to pass these big jugs around to each other, no individual glasses like us wimpy Mzungu's!
That's more traditional, I misread the previous and thought it said Afrikaans.

Sorghum beer is good for traditional festivals, but for a normal dop my brothers and I prefer barley beers.
Too much time with the umlungu I guess.

Their own choice of socks ?

More likely barefoot as our lads played "wendyball" aka Soccer, I never saw an African play Rugby back then. The nearest was when we played KARAMOJA with African recruits at training school, and they were always barefoot then.
I referred to it in "Tales of a Colonial Policeman" ...
"Getting us fit was another priority so sport was encouraged. Rugby, Soccer and a new game, unique to Africa called Karamoja, this was played with a rugby ball on a soccer pitch, with 2 teams of 10 to 15 players, where the object was to get the ball into the opponents net. Few rules were apparent, the ball was passed by throwing, there was no offside rule, forward passing was allowed and you tackled the opposition to get the ball off them. This was always played with mixed teams of African and European police trainees. It originated in Uganda and was considered a good game to get the two races used to each other and toughen us up. The Africans were often very fast and agile, but not as good at the passing and tackling as the Europeans, especially those who played Rugby."

Red button . football yesterday.
In the studio where two footballing men and two random women.
Every match that was updated was by a woman

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer