Ruger 10/22 problems

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by happybonzo, Apr 18, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I've just had this from a pal in the good old US of A. Any suggestions?

I wouldn't know what to suggest as I use so little .22 these days that I couldn't make a useful suggestion

2. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

I shoot Eley Tenex in 50mtr competition and Club for training - they are the same, just higher quality control on Tenex, 11mm groups clamped.
    For 100mtr I use R100 from RWS, 20mm groups clamped.

The ammo can do it, dunno whether a Ruger can.....

3. Has he tried bench firing it? I've never been able to fire a rifle as accurately as it's made.

That will take the human element out of it and he can then find out what ammo performs the best for the rifle at his required ranges.

Obviously, he's tightened all of the screws and made sure the 'scope mount is stable?

4. Yes. The HV is supersonic as it leaves the muzzle, but is transitioning to subsonic before the 100yd target. Bad juju happens at about 0.9-1.1 Mach, particularly when transitioning through that region due to shockwaves & buffetting. This can wreck accuracy & even cause tumbling. You really need to be either subsonic or supersonic from muzzle to target. Well-understood phenomenon.

Nothing wrong with the rifle, which is why the SV ammo is fine.

• Like Like x 1