Rugby World Cup Final - Will Our Prime Minister Be There?

Discussion in 'Sports, Adventure Training and Events' started by Fifth_Columnist, Oct 14, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. What do you reckon, will Gloomy Gordon be at the World Cup Final?

The spin machine must be in overdrive - what will play better with the press? On the one hand, he is desperate to be seen as a "British" Prime Minister, to counter the arguments that the devolved settlement for Scotland (including his constituency) makes him ineligible to be Prime Minister of England. On the other hand, Rugby Union is being characterised on TV this morning as a 'Tory' sport (?!?) and Gordon has previously proclaimed his love of (association) Football (along with 'The Arctic Monkeys', of course).

If he goes to the Final, he risks alienating the last vestiges of support he has in Scotland and pushing voters further into the arms of the SNP (and let's not forget that Gordon relies on the Scottish Labour vote to keep him and his ilk in power). If he doesn't, he will be rightly vilified in the press for demonstrating his already apparent contempt for England and all things English.

Perhaps there will be a compromise - he will go to the match, but look miserable as sin throughout (that shouldn't be too much of a challenge), praying that England lose so that he can scurry out of the back door without having to be photographed smiling and congratulating the team.

How much easier it was to be Tony - he would have gone to the match, cheered loudly throughout and then it would be MBEs and OBEs all-round and a big celebrity party back at Number 10!

2. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Unfortunately he will probably be there and make sure he is photographed as much as possible as he is desperate to look more English than the English in the hope that they will vote him in at the next election (whenever it comes). The man is a politician and therefore a cnut.

If he does not go can I get his free ticket please.

3. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

Why should the saggy old Jock rock up? he's a Jock and their participation ended a game ago.

4. He is, as you say, a sweaty, but will the desire to promote his 'one nation' image and to bask in the reflected glory of others now that the shine has well and truly disappeared from the 'New' Labour dream after a decade lies and sleaze, overcome his national allegiance?

5. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

And let's not forget that your statement is bollocks.

Total number of MPs - 646
    Scottish MPs - 59 (and you're assuming that all Scottish seats are held by Labour MPs. They aren't)
    Non-Scottish seats - 587
    Labour majority - 64

Engage brain first next time eh?

6. Just like he'll turn up at the Cenotaph in 4 weeks time. Not welcome - Not wanted.

7. Beautifully patronising! Brain was engaged, but engaged on polemic rather than fact. I can't stand the appalling man or his kind and I get carried away in my desire to see him thrown out on his ear at the next election. The Scottish MPs certainly help to drive through Labour legislation in the House despite the fact that it does not affect them!

Oh, and Labour won 41 of the Scottish seats, so it certainly seems as though he is relying quite heavily, if not exclusively, on the Scottish Labour vote to keep him in. Without Scotland, that's him down to a majority of 23.

8. Scotland have had an English prime minister for ever and a day so all I say is get over it, no matter who you vote in Scottish, English, Welsh, Irish it's still going to be a slimy lying arrsehole.

9. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

Very true and an utter disgrace as well. I'm Scottish and find it very embarrassing that these lobby sheep are happy to vote on things that do not affect their constituencies. I know it causes massive resentment in England too.

Can't stand the man but much prefer to keep the debate factual.

10. Well that'll never catch on...

11. Free tickets, of course the sweaty sock will be there................. condensending, lying, spinning cnut he is

12. As opposed to Who????????

13. I couldn't have put it better myself.

Let's hope he keeps his Tourette's-affected face well away from both events.

14. Hopefully Thatcher, Blair and Major are there!!!!!! Or are they as welcome as herpes too.

I love the narrowmindedness it keep me sane.

15. No narrowmindness here mate, none of them as a matter of fact unless they bloody well spend time in uniform. Maggie would be the only one I'd possibly relent too, she was spot on at this years Falklands parade in London.