Rugby World Cup 2019 (RWC19)

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
This just popped up on PR

2 Sat games moved to Sun and 2 Sun games moved to Mon. Decision to be announced midday Thursday once they’ve seen how the typhoon is tracking overnight.
There will be a few Monday sickies if that happens :)

This just popped up on PR

2 Sat games moved to Sun and 2 Sun games moved to Mon. Decision to be announced midday Thursday once they’ve seen how the typhoon is tracking overnight.
Thanks.
The forecast looks pretty hairy at present - Sunday:
21:00–03:00Heavy rain.25°74.5 mm
Gale, 19 m/s from east-southeast
Gale, 19 m/s from east-southeast
And later
10.1 mm
Violent storm, 30 m/s from south-southwest
Violent storm, 30 m/s from south-southwest

There will be a few Monday sickies if that happens :)
As the Technical Design Lead for the company which I work for, I was tasked at short notice to get the England v USA game up on a big screen in the restaurant. This involved me casting it to a big screen from my laptop. Due to clear potential breaches, I was forced to remain with my laptop while the game was on. I’m up for that on Monday.
PS @schweik i don’t think Owens has any case to answer. I think the onfield sanction was the right one.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
As the Technical Design Lead for the company which I work for, I was tasked at short notice to get the England v USA game up on a big screen in the restaurant. This involved me casting it to a big screen from my laptop. Due to clear potential breaches, I was forced to remain with my laptop while the game was on. I’m up for that on Monday.
PS @schweik i don’t think Owens has any case to answer. I think the onfield sanction was the right one.
Nice job if one can get it!

The Scotland / Japan game is going to be a cracker. I predict though a red card in the first 20mins of full on energy and excitement. A big burly Japanese player is going to get too carried away and while adrenalin is pumping and the crowd is buzzing the big chap is going to make high contact with one of our small Scotland players by accident.

If Scotland have a great win and push Japan out of the competition we will not be popular any more. As extra motivation for the Japanese players if things aren't going well they should move the Webb Ellis Trophy from the sideline and replace it with 15 ceremonial robes and a set of seppuko blades so that players can "Do the Right thing" at the final whistle....

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
If the card system and citing is all about players safety, will we see Williams cited for his challenge on Biggar?
Clear shoulder to the head.
:biggrin:

Only if referees and touch judges, TMOs and (assistant refs) have to go the same 12 rounds! :)
Against the front row of teams where they've missed more than three obvious infringements against or cocked up the calls and penalties.

I'm looking at you Garces and Poite.

OK, England game off - jury still out on Jockanese v Japanese

England and France will not play in Yokohama on Saturday evening after World Rugby and tournament organisers took the unprecedented step of cancelling their World Cup match due to the arrival of Super Typhoon Hagibis in Japan.
Scotland’s tournament, meanwhile, is still in doubt with a decision on their final and decisive pool match against Japan to be delayed until Sunday morning, as large parts of the country await the arrival of one of the most powerful typhoons in decades.
Tournament director Alan Gilpin told reporters that “after extensive evaluation of weather information” organisers had also decided to cancel New Zealand’s match with Italy in Toyota.

Bugger.

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
Bit of a parsons egg really, one hand nice lay off for the team, on the other a chance to beat the frogs missed.

Why only add two countries?
Because it builds a structure that allows me to wind up the Scots;). On a more realistic basis groups of 4 could play each home and away in one year, any more and you'd be back to the current system where one year team X gets its hard games at home and thus an advantage. You could have 12 teams but then in 3 divisions.

Last edited:
Maybe the RWC Committee should explain why the competition was set in Japan in Hurricane Season?

Typhoon season in Japan is the same as hurricane season in the Atlantic Basin; it runs from June 1 to Nov. 30.
Almost certainly because the home nations wouldn't give up a Championship to allow it to be played in the Spring, which is the sensible time of year for the weather in Japan. The Southern competition gets truncated in world cup years, but my guess is that the North would not stomach the financial loss.

Bit of a parsons egg really, one hand nice lay off for the team, on the other a chance to beat the frogs missed.
Also England haven't really been put under pressure yet. I was looking forward to a good test against the French.
Still at least Billy will be fit for the the whinging Wallabies.
I really hope the Scotland game is played. It has the potential to be a cracker, and the group is most definitely not decided yet.

Boris_Johnson

ADC
DirtyBAT
Excellent... if England win the RWC (as pleased as I will be to see a NH team take the WE Trophy home), the "yeah but you drew with France" line on my colleagues won't get old for ooo, about the next 4 years? :-D

If the card system and citing is all about players safety, will we see Williams cited for his challenge on Biggar?
Clear shoulder to the head.
:biggrin:
The bane of my life "Ref someone hit me in the head" "yes and I can penalise your captain if you want me to".

Excellent... if England win the RWC (as pleased as I will be to see a NH team take the WE Trophy home), the "yeah but you drew with France" line on my colleagues won't get old for ooo, about the next 4 years? :-D
Which will be a lot shorter time than some Scots supporters will spin the "We only got knocked out because of the weather" line.

The bane of my life "Ref someone hit me in the head" "yes and I can penalise your captain if you want me to".
Reminds me fondly of a rugby game some decades ago.

We lost one of our players to a yellow card for clearing out a ruck with no arms and making contact to the head.

We lost another one of our players with concussion as it was his head that contact had been made with o_O

Reminds me fondly of a rugby game some decades ago.

We lost one of our players to a yellow card for clearing out a ruck with no arms and making contact to the head.

We lost another one of our players with concussion as it was his head that contact had been made with o_O
England v Boks 2002 - Corne Krige takes a swing, misses, and lamps his own flyhalf, who has to go off concussed!

Latest Threads