Rugby World Cup 2019 (RWC19)

You are welcome. I know the SRU send coaches, referees and former players, Mossy and Al Kellock to name two, to help out a couple of times a year to various Unions, I think the RFU does the same.

Also, I know of two players playing in the Edinburgh and District league 6th/7th level of Scottish rugby, that are playing for Poland and either Latvia or Lithuania.
Ditto WRFU. All the refs at the Geneva International 7s in 2015, came from the WRFU.
Their wives also thoroughly enjoyed the all-expenses (complete with excursions and, God, the amount of booze) paid trip to GVA for a long weekend.

I'm sure there have been bigger winning margins at World Cups. The thing about rugby, which you may not understand, is that weaker opponents are respected - rewatch the few minutes after the final whistle was blown. The Canadians stuck to it, and theirs was a very good effort considering they were down a man for a long period.
I do understand - the reason why Japan beating SA back in '15 still sticks in my head...

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
I have a question regarding the refs and it’s not confined to this tournament.

Why is it that refs tell players to get back at rucks and malls thus stopping them from encroaching and becoming offside? Why not just let the game unfold and if the defending team is offside then surely that should be a scrum to the opposing team?
Surely the refs are interfering with play?

I have a question regarding the refs and it’s not confined to this tournament.

Why is it that refs tell players to get back at rucks and malls thus stopping them from encroaching and becoming offside? Why not just let the game unfold and if the defending team is offside then surely that should be a scrum to the opposing team?
Surely the refs are interfering with play?
More to let the game flow than anything else.
Imagine if the ref was tootling away every 10 seconds?

Can't see why there can't either be a 2 tier 6 nations or a European/Northern Hemisphere Championship.
Because Scotland won't take the risk of ending up in Div 2 semi-permanently. Obvious scenario is two division of 4 by adding Russia and Georgia. One up one down each year would probably mean Scotland yo-yoing between the divisions every other year for fairly long periods.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Because Scotland won't take the risk of ending up in Div 2 semi-permanently. Obvious scenario is two division of 4 by adding Russia and Georgia. One up one down each year would probably mean Scotland yo-yoing between the divisions every other year for fairly long periods.
Why only add two countries?

So have a two legged play off between the bottom team in the top division and the top team in the bottom division. Then, if there is a gulf in quality, there is no promotion/relegation, but if the team coming up is better than the team going down over two legs, then they both deserve to swap places

Why only add two countries?
Exactly. Why not have the current 6 Nations as is, and below that the next six, currently Georgia, Spain, Romania, Russia , Portugal, Netherlands?

Although I could understand it if someone were to say that might not be financially viable.

World Rugby has called a news conference on Thursday at 04:00 BST to discuss what action will be taken with Typhoon Hagibis

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Somebody send for Gp Capt Stagg!

Daily Fail already 'exclusiving' that the ENG v FRA is called off.
Sydney Morning Herald too

But by Wednesday night sources close to the England and French camps confirmed to The Sydney Morning Herald and The Age that they had been told unofficially the game would be cancelled, resulting in a 0-0 draw.

Sco v JAP could be being moved to Oita as Fiji were told immediately after their 27-19 loss to Wales that they would be moving back up to Tokyo instead.

As a neutral in respect of both games, I was looking forward to both ENG v FRA and SCO v JAP. Especially the Scotland game after today’s result against Russia. That could yet be one of the games of the tournament, and I am hoping against hope that it, and the other games, can all go ahead.

Agreed, but safety of spectators and players comes first and if it means 2 points each so be it, we were coming home early next week anyway. :grin:

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Maybe the RWC Committee should explain why the competition was set in Japan in Hurricane Season?

Typhoon season in Japan is the same as hurricane season in the Atlantic Basin; it runs from June 1 to Nov. 30.

In order to get round the unexpected bonus of not having to play, and therefore not having to risk injury etc, there should be a tournament rule that states that all squad members of a nation whose match has been cancelled are required to go 12 rounds against their opposite number in either the Fijian, Samoan or Tongan squad.

That should even things up a bit!

This just popped up on PR

2 Sat games moved to Sun and 2 Sun games moved to Mon. Decision to be announced midday Thursday once they’ve seen how the typhoon is tracking overnight.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
In order to get round the unexpected bonus of not having to play, and therefore not having to risk injury etc, there should be a tournament rule that states that all squad members of a nation whose match has been cancelled are required to go 12 rounds against their equivalent in either the Fijian, Samoan or Tongan squad.

That should even things up a bit!
Only if referees and touch judges, TMOs and (assistant refs) have to go the same 12 rounds! :)

Latest Threads