Rugby World Cup 2019 (RWC19)

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Rugby Europe has a competition (REIC) for all levels, even at that there are still some big scores

Thanks for that, very informative. I see the big scores are from teams that are on the receiving end here at RWC19. That EuroRugby is a great idea and if TV could be persuaded to show some of it then it would get a wider audience. These teams are amateur so money fed in to them would be better than buying a new Premier league player. Maybe 10% of transfer fees be syphoned off by World Rugby to build up these amateur countries? Just a suggestion.

I’m not a monster rugby fan although I do enjoy watching the occasional game and I obviously want England to do well.

So apologies for what is probably a dumb question in a thread full of fanatics.

I don’t understand the points ratings in the tables.

This is where we stand currently in our group.

20A1CB73-83DF-4890-A230-DF5ED1AD3729.jpeg

The columns are P, W, D, L, PD, B, Pts.

I get the played, won, drew, lost and points difference. I don’t know what B means and I don’t get how England and France have the same record but different points (but assume it is B added onto 3x4.

So WTF is B?

I’m not a monster rugby fan although I do enjoy watching the occasional game and I obviously want England to do well.

View attachment 421739

I get the played, won, drew, lost and points difference. I don’t know what B means and I don’t get how England and France have the same record but different points (but assume it is B added onto 3x4.

So WTF is B?
Bonus points. You get an extra point if you score 4 tries or if you lose by fewer than 7 points. It encourages try scoring and playing the full 80 minutes.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor

View attachment 421739

So WTF is B?
4 it's for axwin, 1 Bonus Point for four tries in a game orv1Bonus Loser Point if within 7pts of the winning score.

Therefore England won= 3x4pts : 12 Pts + 3 Bonus Points giving total of 15 points.

Thanks for that, very informative. I see the big scores are from teams that are on the receiving end here at RWC19. That EuroRugby is a great idea and if TV could be persuaded to show some of it then it would get a wider audience. These teams are amateur so money fed in to them would be better than buying a new Premier league player. Maybe 10% of transfer fees be syphoned off by World Rugby to build up these amateur countries? Just a suggestion.
You are welcome. I know the SRU send coaches, referees and former players, Mossy and Al Kellock to name two, to help out a couple of times a year to various Unions, I think the RFU does the same.

Also, I know of two players playing in the Edinburgh and District league 6th/7th level of Scottish rugby, that are playing for Poland and either Latvia or Lithuania.

I missed all but the last seven minutes of the Wales game, due to work commitments. It sounds like it was a really good game to watch. Two questions:

Ken Owens - yellow or red and will he be/does he deserve to be cited?

Does anyone know how serious the injuries are to Jonathan Davies, Dan Biggar, Josh Adams and Liam Williams?

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I missed all but the last seven minutes of the Wales game, due to work commitments. It sounds like it was a really good game to watch. Two questions:

Does anyone know how serious the injuries are to Jonathan Davies, Dan Biggar, Josh Adams and Liam Williams?
Maybe

Don't know

Clear yellow, shouldn't be a red as he never landed on his head, but you never know with citing commissioners.

Normally never hear about how bad the injuries are until the following couple of days, apart from Mish Watson, everyone knew that was a tournament ender.

I think Ken Owens will retain the yellow as he put the guy down flat and tried his best not to drop him. Then again, this is a funny old RWC so who knows.

Biggar will miss the Uruguay match and is not being considered for it. He didn't have a HIA but has to go through other protocols to be make sure he's fit again.
Davies had the look of a guy who'd played his last game in this tournament so his leg injury may be quite severe.
Adams didn't look so bad and reckons it was just a dead leg.
Doesn't seem any concern over Williams.

Full story will unveil tomorrow after assessments.

I think Ken Owens will retain the yellow as he put the guy down flat and tried his best not to drop him. Then again, this is a funny old RWC so who knows.

Biggar will miss the Uruguay match and is not being considered for it. He didn't have a HIA but has to go through other protocols to be make sure he's fit again.
Davies had the look of a guy who'd played his last game in this tournament so his leg injury may be quite severe.
Adams didn't look so bad and reckons it was just a dead leg.
Doesn't seem any concern over Williams.

Full story will unveil tomorrow after assessments.
Don't know where you got he put him down flat and tried not to drop him, he flipped him over his shoulder and was facing the other way.

As someone says on PR - I’ll wait for Rob Howley to give the odds before making a call on it .... :rofl:

Last edited:
Bonus points. You get an extra point if you score 4 tries or if you lose by fewer than 7 points. It encourages try scoring and playing the full 80 minutes.
4 it's for axwin, 1 Bonus Point for four tries in a game orv1Bonus Loser Point if within 7pts of the winning score.

Therefore England won= 3x4pts : 12 Pts + 3 Bonus Points giving total of 15 points.
Thank you gentlemen. All clear now.

Alamo

LE
Although I am sure there was no intent, it did look incredibly clumsy. Given the current atmosphere I was relieved it was only a Yellow. It's difficult to tell isn't it how it will be viewed on review?

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Don't know where you got he put him down flat, he flipped him over his shoulder and was facing the other way.

As someone says on PR - I’ll wait for Rob Howley to give the odds before making a call on it .... :rofl:
I think if he gets cited it will be a very soft decision. The Ruskie came on at speed, Owens took him low and the guy was going down but Owens stood up which flipped him on his back. No spearing involved but definitely over the 90 degrees but not IMO a dangerous tackle. Just as much as the tackled as the tackler at any fault.

Mind you, that is probably why I have not been invited into the Citing Panel !

I think if he gets cited it will be a very soft decision. The Ruskie came on at speed, Owens took him low and the guy was going down but Owens stood up which flipped him on his back. No spearing involved but definitely over the 90 degrees but not IMO a dangerous tackle. Just as much as the tackled as the tackler at any fault.

Mind you, that is probably why I have not been invited into the Citing Panel !
The Ruskie???

Had he sprinted for the line in the Scotland game, and just kept running till he arrived at the Wales game???

I can think of another reason why you might not have been invited onto the citing panel ...

The Wales-Fiji match was brutal! Brutal on my fingernails. That's the first time in a while that I have seen Fiji play at full tilt for the whole 80 minutes; Wales had to dig deep to win that game, which will cost them in the long run. There was a lot of shouting at the telly. I think I need a lie down.

My bold … Mine were almost down to the wrist, those Fijians are hard men, really tough to stop and some of their hits were brutal. The injuries received by Wales in this encounter could have a significant impact on their next match. Shame Wales only have 4 days to recover.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor

feu_de_joie

War Hero
Mrs Feu says that the England/France game is off due to Typhoon Haggis. Not really an issue to either team but, if correct, what about the other games

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Mrs Feu says that the England/France game is off due to Typhoon Haggis. Not really an issue to either team but, if correct, what about the other games
If true then that gives both teams a nice long rest and no injury worries. France may have time to qwell the mutiny in the ranks!

Latest Threads