Rugby World Cup 2019 (RWC19)

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
They are merciless when they lose, but do not think they are particularly helpful in the build up either. Constantly looking for a negative angle.
In the run up to RWC19, how many column inches do you think will be devoted to the melt down in their game against Scotland? It will rate a mention but that will be about that!

In the run up to RWC19, how many column inches do you think will be devoted to the melt down in their game against Scotland? It will rate a mention but that will be about that!
We shall have to wait and see, but I have seen a fair few already examining their appalling second halves!

This is just the start of the RWC campaign and we will see lots of articles like this over the summer. These are in the media for one reason and one reason only, to sell papers and thus attract advertising, i.e. money!

The media is about 90% English so many of the reports/opinion pieces will be aimed at an English audience, who will not be told their team is struggling and certainly won't big-up any other Home Team except perhaps by passing reference.

Basically, us non-Engerlund supporters need to inure ourselves to this sort of pish and just recall the final 40 minutes of the 6N 2019 where England showed their true mettle, or rather lack of it! :cool:
There was very little English arrogance on the 6 Nations thread, even when the tournament started off in our favour.
The bias, arrogance and eventually vile comments didn't come from England supporters.

Try not to colour us English supporters with the shit that our media pumps out and perhaps look at the attitude of some of the non English posters in these threads.

The Sunday Times Rugby employs a particularly critical Rugby Correspondent, who can seldom see anything positive to say about England namely Stephen Jones.
Ah, Jones the journalist.

smeg-head

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I'm afraid RWC19 will go much the same way as all previous RWC's (except the glorious 2003 version), inasmuch as the competition will be won by a Southern Hemisphere nation. I predict New Zealand beating Wales by a converted try, with England losing to Australia in the third place non-event.

I know that in the Six Nations 2019 thread there was some discussion of Farrell's captaining (perhaps) falling apart in the second half of the game against Scotland. It crossed my mind just now that perhaps Joe Launchberry would be a better captain looking ahead to the World Cup.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I know that in the Six Nations 2019 thread there was some discussion of Farrell's captaining (perhaps) falling apart in the second half of the game against Scotland. It crossed my mind just now that perhaps Joe Launchberry would be a better captain looking ahead to the World Cup.
Thing is the English team is currently built round Farrell and to drop him as Captain would send him into a huff!

Thing is the English team is currently built round Farrell and to drop him as Captain would send him into a huff!
You probably underestimate him, but he might find better form when not having to lead the team. That's happened to captains before in several sports (cricket off the top of my head).

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
You probably underestimate him, but he might find better form when not having to lead the team. That's happened to captains before in several sports (cricket off the top of my head).
I was joking (I think).

I like him as player, apart from the habit of tackling without arms, but he is not a captain, yet. We have had problems in that department too, Rambo is too quiet and Greeg gets on the wrong side of referees, just happy that JB is back playing and should be our RWC captain.

I'm afraid RWC19 will go much the same way as all previous RWC's (except the glorious 2003 version), inasmuch as the competition will be won by a Southern Hemisphere nation. I predict New Zealand beating Wales by a converted try, with England losing to Australia in the third place non-event.
Agreed, I don't think the Southern Hemisphere have anything to fear from the North, certainly not England.

I'm a little more pessimistic about the home nations likely performance; Wales should get to semi finals if they can improve their starts, England I suspect the quarter finals at best.

To be fair to Jones, I suspect he has had to adapt his strategy to players ability; kick and chase, because they can't achieve anything too complicated or handle the ball for any length of time.

Perhaps a diagnosis of ADHD might explain their performance.

YM