Rugby World Cup 2019 (RWC19)

I predict a northern hemisphere final. The All Blacks will be the only southern hemisphere team to make it to the semis. SA will be accused of poisoning everyone. There'll be a storm in a tea cup about a tattoo. @MuddyOldEngineer will be posting normally again.

I’ve always thought that Martin Johnson was a fairly sensible sort but this sort of nonsense (possibly writing to please his paying audience) just makes him look like a cock.

Of course the result might be different if you played the competition again you knobber,
but the fact is that you only play it once each year, and this year Wales beat everyone else and won the grand slam.

It is possible that if you played it again England might have been beaten by Ireland, France and Scotland - they might even have finished fifth again as they did last year. But it won’t be played again and England can safely hold on to their second place - you knobber.

England legend writes off Wales' World Cup hopes despite 'inspired' Grand Slam

Last edited:
I’ve always thought that Martin Johnson was a fairly sensible sort but this sort of nonsense (possibly writing to please his paying audience) just makes him look like a cock.

Of course the result might be different if you played the competition again you knobber,
but the fact is that you only play it once each year, and this year Wales beat everyone else and won the grand slam.

It is possible that if you played it again England might have been beaten by Ireland, France and Scotland - they might even have finished fifth again as they did last year. But it won’t be played again and England can safely hold on to their second place - you knobber.

I think he's just being passionate.
If you read between the lines (diificult with Wales online, I know) he's got a point. It has been mentioned by several pundits over the last few days that Wales lack a cutting edge in attack. They scored the fewest trys in the 6 nations along with Italy. Now before you get all unneccessary I have already stated on here that wales deserved to win the GS and their defence was awesome, however with no games in Cardiff during the RWC they may find it difficult.
Having said all that I would rather England play Australia than Wales if they both qualify for the knock out rounds.
He's a two time Lions captain with a world cup winners medal knobber as well.

Boris_Johnson

ADC
DirtyBAT
Long way to go yet. And Wales have got 4 summer internationals to play yet, 2 against Ireland, 2 against England - home and away.

Would be great to go to Japan in an 18 match winning streak, but I sense MJ might have a point with this home advantage thing.

I'll wait until 17 Aug before I start thinking about Wales' chances.

Oh and I'll be there too. At the Pricipality, not Japan, sadly.

I entirely agree with you that Wales do seem to lack a cutting edge in attack at the moment. That is a sensible point made from analysing what you (and the rest of us) have seen.

Personally I do not see Wales as likely World Cup winners, or even contenders. I hope that I am wrong, but I suspect that I am not.

But what I am complaining about is the sort of lazy punditry that Johnson is churning out, and if it is not because he is trying to please a paying audience then it is because he is limited in his analytical abilities.

Just because he was a second row forward (and leader of men) in a World Cup winning side doesn’t make him Einstein!

I entirely agree with you that Wales do seem to lack a cutting edge in attack at the moment. That is a sensible point made from analysing what you (and the rest of us) have seen.

Personally I do not see Wales as likely World Cup winners, or even contenders. I hope that I am wrong, but I suspect that I am not.

But what I am complaining about is the sort of lazy punditry that Johnson is churning out, and if it is not because he is trying to please a paying audience then it is because he is limited in his analytical abilities.

Just because he was a second row forward (and leader of men) in a World Cup winning side doesn’t make him Einstein!
So your'e having a go at Johnson writing off Wales' chances in RWC19 by stating that you think they have no chance as well!
For "lazy punditry" read "Wales online reporting"
I'd like to be as "limited in my analitical abilities" as him.
For the record I think Wales have a genuine chance this year. The one thing they (and all the NH teams) need to do is convince themselves that they can beat any SH team anywhere, anytime.

And you are suggesting that he is entirely wrong in his analysis, because you suggest that Wales has “a genuine chance this year”

Time will tell.

I was only complaining about the lack of intellectual rigour in his writing. I am happy to accept that he, and you, and I have different views. I recognise that you have reasons for your views, and I think that I have reasons for mine, I just can’t see any well reasoned analysis in what MJ wrote. So I therefore wondered if there was any other reason for his conclusion.

Meanwhile I am looking forward to the build up to the RWC and to the event itself. As I’m sure we all are!

And you are suggesting that he is entirely wrong in his analysis, because you suggest that Wales has “a genuine chance this year”
No, I am saying that Wales online isn't exactly neutral in its reporting.
And yes the build up will be interesting to say the least, what with Wales and England having a double header in August. I just hope that no one gets seriously injured! (and I mean that for both teams)

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
If you read between the lines (diificult with Wales online, I know) he's got a point. It has been mentioned by several pundits over the last few days that Wales lack a cutting edge in attack. They scored the fewest trys in the 6 nations along with Italy. Now before you get all unneccessary I have already stated on here that wales deserved to win the GS and their defence was awesome, however with no games in Cardiff during the RWC they may find it difficult.
Having said all that I would rather England play Australia than Wales if they both qualify for the knock out rounds.

It's also interesting if you compare Pro 14 teams, Within the 2 conferences, Wales have only 1 team in the 2 top 4s, and even then it's the Blues at 4 in Conference A.

Ireland sit at 2&3 in Conference A, and 1&2 in B. Scotland have 1st and 4th (A&B respectively)

And then if we look at the Cups, no Welsh teams out of the groups stages in either, whereas 3 Irish and 2 Scottish in Champions Quarters and the final Irish team in Challenge quarters.

Mind you only 1 English team has made it through the group of the Champions Cup.

1547170884026.jpg

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor

This is just the start of the RWC campaign and we will see lots of articles like this over the summer. These are in the media for one reason and one reason only, to sell papers and thus attract advertising, i.e. money!

The media is about 90% English so many of the reports/opinion pieces will be aimed at an English audience, who will not be told their team is struggling and certainly won't big-up any other Home Team except perhaps by passing reference.

Basically, us non-Engerlund supporters need to inure ourselves to this sort of pish and just recall the final 40 minutes of the 6N 2019 where England showed their true mettle, or rather lack of it! :cool:

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor

greyfergie

MIA
Book Reviewer
This is just the start of the RWC campaign and we will see lots of articles like this over the summer. These are in the media for one reason and one reason only, to sell papers and thus attract advertising, i.e. money!

The media is about 90% English so many of the reports/opinion pieces will be aimed at an English audience, who will not be told their team is struggling and certainly won't big-up any other Home Team except perhaps by passing reference.

Basically, us non-Engerlund supporters need to inure ourselves to this sort of pish and just recall the final 40 minutes of the 6N 2019 where England showed their true mettle, or rather lack of it! :cool:
We’ve had plenty of practice over the years...