Rugby World Cup 2019 (RWC19)

If you're going to bang that drum you're going to get very boring during this competition. I suspect the only racially pure team out there is probably some stone age nation like Russia and even they have foreign coaches.
Russkis learned their lesson many years back.

The Russian national side was expelled from qualifying for the 2003 Rugby World Cup, due to eligibility issues. Spain, who Russia had beaten in qualifying, protested the fielding of three South African-born players (Johan Hendriks, Reiner Volschenck and Werner Pieterse), whom the RUR claimed had qualified through ancestry.

Later they had very strict rules - had to speak Russian, and be Russian Orthodox.
Adam Byrnes of the Melbourne Rebels, played at RWC 2011.

Enjoyable game and went as I thought it would. Looking forward to the next one should be a bon match and wonder what French team will turn up.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer

"More than 25 personnel have left in the wake of Jones taking charge four years ago, many of them signing non-disclosure agreements that are strictly enforced by the RFU."

Are non disclosures normal in rugby these days?

Shame the Army XV sorry Fiji couldn't push into that last quarter

I agree @beardyProf. I mean, for example, Joe Cokanasiga came to England before his first birthday. His father had joined the British Army. In my book, that makes him English. Many Fijian, Tongan and Samoan families move to NZ and Australia if they can, for employment and education prospects for their families. Inevitably the sons end up doing well in rugby, of both varieties.
Think the Argentinian side are the most “pure” in terms of heritage.

Scotland the least so. 14 of the squad born outside the country which is a fair few by any measure.

Anyways. Thought to Japan game was average and the host nation will improve as they settle.

Fiji as usual ran out of steam but they caused the Australians to pucker up for a while. Think Cheika May have got it right in the end but Genia is their best 9. I think they’ve got issues at 10 as they haven’t got a natural starting ten. All their 10s are natural centres for me.

Looking forward to France v Argentina. No bonus points for either team please

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Good first half and a well won try on the whistle for Japan.

Nigel is doing a good job refereeing but really he has little to do. It is refreshing to see both teams playing within the laws and the spirit of the laws. I suspect that will disappear when the 'big' teams play :(
Quoting my own post I realise but it is just to get some clarity. It picked up a 'dislike' from our rugby genius the_guru but it hadn't said why.

I wonder if he has a sad-on with me (well we know he has) and is going to 'dislike' every post of mine during the RWC19, or if he has a sad-on for Nigel as a referee - probably both.

Going to be fun winding up the saddo and pointing out the faults and weaknesses in the England team which the guru will totally miss and accuse anyone who points them out of bring anti England. Most people though are not anti England but are bemused and amused by TG and his angst.

Right, that is the last about our saddo but what a great start to the RWC19 and it is good to see that the teams are there to demonstrate the sport to the world. 6am is a bit early for me so missed the first of today's games but will pick up on highlights later. Looking forward to the other 2 games today though.

If you're going to bang that drum you're going to get very boring during this competition. I suspect the only racially pure team out there is probably some stone age nation like Russia and even they have foreign coaches.
No drum banging intended, just an observation, true I believe ( though one of the surnames sounded more Tongan than Fijian )

For me though, If I was born Fijian, felt Fijian in my heart, for professional reasons played for another country and beat my homeland in a World Cup, the victory would not be quite so sweet.

But, hey - its just a game.

For me though, If I was born Fijian, felt Fijian in my heart, for professional reasons played for another country and beat my homeland in a World Cup, the victory would not be quite so sweet.

But, hey - its just a game.
No, it's professional sport, with money involved. That tends to trump misty-eyed feelings of national loyalty.

E2A: Best you send the Vunipola brothers back to Australia where they were born.

Last edited:

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Nationality has been an issue for quite a while and I don't see it changing much soon. It has been a very successful programme in bringing up the game in the minor nations bringing expertise to enthusiasm. Of course the stronger nations have used it to strengthen their pool, sometimes being creative with the rules. It is a facet of the game that we have to live with.

"More than 25 personnel have left in the wake of Jones taking charge four years ago, many of them signing non-disclosure agreements that are strictly enforced by the RFU."

Are non disclosures normal in rugby these days?
Over all the RFU lost a lot more than that, particularly in the last 12 months due to finance - that is why they are pushing for changes, with the other home unions, to the broadcasting rights and other rights.

They are not the only ones that use NDA's, I know that the SRU do to,

Nationality has been an issue for quite a while and I don't see it changing much soon. It has been a very successful programme in bringing up the game in the minor nations bringing expertise to enthusiasm. Of course the stronger nations have used it to strengthen their pool, sometimes being creative with the rules. It is a facet of the game that we have to live with.
In what way has there been “creativity” with the rules?

Quoting my own post I realise but it is just to get some clarity. It picked up a 'dislike' from our rugby genius the_guru but it hadn't said why.

I wonder if he has a sad-on with me (well we know he has) and is going to 'dislike' every post of mine during the RWC19, or if he has a sad-on for Nigel as a referee - probably both.

Going to be fun winding up the saddo and pointing out the faults and weaknesses in the England team which the guru will totally miss and accuse anyone who points them out of bring anti England. Most people though are not anti England but are bemused and amused by TG and his angst.

Right, that is the last about our saddo but what a great start to the RWC19 and it is good to see that the teams are there to demonstrate the sport to the world. 6am is a bit early for me so missed the first of today's games but will pick up on highlights later. Looking forward to the other 2 games today though.
Nothing to do with you Mr Precious. Get a life

It got a thumbs down because of your comment on Owens.

Now, stop being a baby and pick your lip up. Clown.

Over all the RFU lost a lot more than that, particularly in the last 12 months due to finance - that is why they are pushing for changes, with the other home unions, to the broadcasting rights and other rights.

They are not the only ones that use NDA's, I know that the SRU do to,
I’m not sure why anyone would be surprised by the use of NDAs. They are standard tools in the wider business world, and almost everyone expects Professional sport to be run as a business, so why wouldn’t they be used there too?
Regarding the qualification rules, I think this has been discussed ad nauseum on here. The rules seem to me to be quite clear (some nations have been punished for breaching them) and it would be naive to expect any country not to make full use of them.
I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, we are quite a lomg way down the road of international Rugby becoming a franchise system like AFL/NFL where players are drafted in in a system designed to create entertaining sport and where the identities of the teams bear little relation to the origins of the players.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
That was a really good try by the French, opened up the Argies' defence with a lovely long pass then worked it back across the field. Great rugby.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Nothing to do with you Mr Precious. Get a life

It got a thumbs down because of your comment on Owens.

Now, stop being a baby and pick your lip up. Clown.
Owens had a very good game - were you watching something different?

No, it's professional sport, with money involved. That tends to trump misty-eyed feelings of national loyalty.

E2A: Best you send the Vunipola brothers back to Australia where they were born.
I started playing Rugby at a time when it wasn't professional, so my attitude is slightly different.

The Vunipolas have known no other time except rugby being their job.

What I do know is that it is the most exciting sport around.

Shall we leave it there , and watch the Match ?

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer

Have a like for the post and a dislike for the wind-up!

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor

Latest Threads