Rugby World Cup 2019 (RWC19)

Every group is a fecking "group of death" as every group is a involved in a knock out procedure and each group contains some one from 1-4, 5-8, and 9-12 in the world. All teams in pretty much every group are capable of winning individual matches.

But somehow, every tournament a certain team always seems to think that there's is the hardest to qualify from! Or at least the media do.
The ranking system throws a spanner in though, farrier.
If a '5-8' team has a tough year in the build-up (ie NZ away!), their ranking can drop out to 9, 10 etc.
Their group will then possibly have three tough teams, so you end up with the 'must win' matches. The lower teams, as we've seen, can also throw in a spanner. Like Japan.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
The ranking system throws a spanner in though, farrier.
If a '5-8' team has a tough year in the build-up (ie NZ away!), their ranking can drop out to 9, 10 etc.
Their group will then possibly have three tough teams, so you end up with the 'must win' matches. The lower teams, as we've seen, can also throw in a spanner. Like Japan.
Don't forget we were out of top 8 when draw for last RWC was made. Were in pot 3. Still made it out the group though and nearly upset the Australia.

There is a lot of movement in the rankings, as most of the top 12 teams can and do beat each other in fairly regular succession.

Don't forget we were out of top 8 when draw for last RWC was made. Were in pot 3. Still made it out the group though and nearly upset the Australia.

There is a lot of movement in the rankings, as most of the top 12 teams can and do beat each other in fairly regular succession.
Yep.
And as teams are in 'rebuild phase', they'll drop in and out of pots.
Australia, for example, are not the team they were... and Argentina are looking better each year. This year's 4-Nations is going to be interesting.
As is RWC 2019... and certain teams are going to have to pull their fingers out by then.

I really can't see a problem. All England have to do is beat the other 2 top tier nations, just like they did in 2015....

....oh, wait...hang on.

Seriously though, you are right. If France and Argentina are to good for us then we have no right to be eating at the top table.
The current team is a very, very different team to the disappointments of 2015.

Every group is a fecking "group of death" as every group is a involved in a knock out procedure and each group contains some one from 1-4, 5-8, and 9-12 in the world. All teams in pretty much every group are capable of winning individual matches.

But somehow, every tournament a certain team always seems to think that there's is the hardest to qualify from! Or at least the media do.
I wouldn't think you'd get out of our group.

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
It may be annoying but it's not an unfair observation. When was the last time Scotland beat England, France and Argentina in the same season/fixture cycle? Plus, I suspect that the two unknown teams are likely to be a bit tasty. It's not a 'group of death' by any means but Pool C is still the group best avoided.

It may be annoying but it's not an unfair observation. When was the last time Scotland beat England, France and Argentina in the same season/fixture cycle? Plus, I suspect that the two unknown teams are likely to be a bit tasty. It's not a 'group of death' by any means but Pool C is still the group best avoided.
It's an imprecise observation.
Does he mean they wouldn't get out of it if they were added on as an extra team, therefore having to play England, France and Argentina as you seem to suggest? I doubt it, but perhaps he did. However that hardly makes sense.
Or does he mean they wouldn't get out of it if they were in England's place and had to play France and Argentina plus two others? That is more likely, and certainly makes more sense, although I am aware that there will be those on here that would say that there is no correlation between The Guru's utterings and "sense".
If Scotland were in a group with France and Argentina, given current form, I'd say that Scotland would be in with a decent chance of finishing in the top two. Not as good as England, but not in any way hopeless.

Oz are desperately trying to offload a team (2 teams) as they realise their talent is diluted by having so many sides in Super.
Saffers the same - Cheetahs got pawed today, Lions played a dull match, but won.
Too much rugby, too much attrition.

Is it time to give this thread a nudge? I was going to start a new thread but found this lurking in the mists of time.

Is it time to give this thread a nudge? I was going to start a new thread but found this lurking in the mists of time.
Saffer captain Siya Kolisi, hailed as a huge hero and the first Black captain...
Now there's a huge scandal brewing after his missus (white and blonde) finds naked pics of some skank on his instagram account.
Expect him to be 'injured' soon.

greyfergie

MIA
Book Reviewer
It’s been a slow burner to be sure, a page a year by my reckoning... anyway I think England and Ireland’s sports psychiatrists are going to have their work cut out sticking Elastoplast on the damaged and fragile egos after disastrous 6 nation campaigns, so the smart money should be on Wales and a resurgent Scotland

It’s been a slow burner to be sure, a page a year by my reckoning... anyway I think England and Ireland’s sports psychiatrists are going to have their work cut out sticking Elastoplast on the damaged and fragile egos after disastrous 6 nation campaigns, so the smart money should be on Wales and a resurgent Scotland
Don't be ridiculous man. We have this in the bag. What with Eddie's advanced tactics and the amazing flexibility of our game plan this will be a masterful victory.
This is after all the same team that felt sorry for the Scottish team and played for a draw so we could all be happy.

Fabulous chaps.

Ireland seem to be on the wrong part of the curve right now. They will definitely struggle to turn it around.
England are in a strange place, it feels like they've been found out.
Wales will be going to Japan full of confidence, and rightly so.
Scotland still have to get to grips with why it all went so wrong in the first 30 and last 4 minutes at Twickenham. I still feel that there is a lot more wrong than right and am not convinced that there is enough time to sort it all.
France are fecked. Rock bottom confidence and what seems like a clueless management.
Italy are Sergio Parisse away from a 50 point humping every game against tier 1 nations, and he is beginning to fade as well.

greyfergie

MIA
Book Reviewer
Following on from my startlingly accuracy in the recent 6 Nations 2019 thread, and my obvious genius at predictions and punditry I’m going to go for a narrow win by Wales over New Zealand in the final (probably less than 10 points, but I could be wrong) and Alun Wyn Jones nominated for a Sainthood and the Pope expediting it through the Vatican before the plane touches down on Gods Country again....