Rugby World Cup 2019 (RWC19)

Meanwhile as part of Australia's disastrous world cup campaign fallout Michael Cheika is being looked at by Monteplier and questions are now being asked about the CEO's position, as an added bonus for Rugby Australia Israel Folau's lawyers have seized on the comments about no relationship between the CEO and coach and can smell blood in the water
I'm sure many Aussie players, now considering (or announcing) retirement now their RWC is over, will weigh in with their comments about the whole ruckus.

Anyway, back to the subject at hand ...

I have only just twigged that the 4 teams in the semifinals are the four top ranked teams in the world. Rankings aren’t everything, but they seem to have been relatively accurate in this instance.

So it’s NZ (1) v Eng (2) and Wales (3) v SA (4)

If the rankings continue to be an accurate guide it’s a NZ v Wales final, with NZ winning. But of course this is sport and anything can happen.

One prediction that I do think is likely to be accurate is that the winner of RWC 19 is likely to be the winner of NZ v Eng. Although obviously I hope that is not going to be the case.

Anyway, back to the subject at hand ...

I have only just twigged that the 4 teams in the semifinals are the four top ranked teams in the world. Rankings aren’t everything, but they seem to have been relatively accurate in this instance.

So it’s NZ (1) v Eng (2) and Wales (3) v SA (4)

If the rankings continue to be an accurate guide it’s a NZ v Wales final, with NZ winning. But of course this is sport and anything can happen.

One prediction that I do think is likely to be accurate is that the winner of RWC 19 is likely to be the winner of NZ v Eng. Although obviously I hope that is not going to be the case.
RWC 19 will get the ending that was planned the moment the draw was finalised. It was always going to be:

NZ v RSA

Money has been paid and brown envelopes have been passed out. ;)

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
If Wales hope to reach the final, or even win the bronze place, they are going to have to step their game up considerably to the display they showed against France. Beat them by 1 point with France down to 14 men for a long time but still holding Wales until the last moment.

RWC 19 will get the ending that was planned the moment the draw was finalised. It was always going to be:

NZ v RSA

Money has been paid and brown envelopes have been passed out. ;)
Either that or the seeding system worked as it is supposed to do.
And you also seem to forget Ireland were ranked number 1 before the competition started (but not before the draw was made based on said seedings).

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
And you also seem to forget Ireland were ranked number 1 before the competition started (but not before the draw was made based on said seedings).
And we were 9th, so not destined to make the last 8.

Didn't forget any of that, but the IRB or whatever they are called now, had already decided that no NH teams would be in the Final.
Sorry about that, but I'm not IRB.

Wot, to the players? Or refs etc?
Do you really think that the IRB and FiFA are exempt from Bribery?
RWC coming to a middle eastern country next time round. Unless the USA cough up more money for it of course. ;)

England: Daly; Watson, Tuilagi, Farrell (capt), May; Ford, Youngs; M Vunipola, George, Sinckler, Itoje, Lawes, Curry, Underhill, B Vunipola.

Replacements: Cowan-Dickie, Marler, Cole, Kruis, Wilson, Heinz, Slade, Joseph.

v

New Zealand: Beauden Barrett; Sevu Reece, Jack Goodhue, Anton Lienert-Brown, George Bridge; Richie Mo'unga, Aaron Smith; Joe Moody, Codie Taylor, Nepo Laulala, Brodie Retallick, Sam Whitelock, Scott Barrett, Ardie Savea, Kieran Read (capt).

Replacements: Dane Coles, Ofa Tuungafasi, Angus Ta'avao, Patrick Tuipulotu, Sam Cane, TJ Perenara, Sonny Bill Williams, Jordie Barrett.

And here it is....

15 Elliot Daly (Saracens, 37 caps)
14 Anthony Watson (Bath Rugby, 40 caps)
13 Manu Tuilagi (Leicester Tigers, 38 caps)
12 Owen Farrell (Saracens, 77 caps) C
11 Jonny May (Leicester Tigers, 50 caps)
10 George Ford (Leicester Tigers, 63 caps)
9 Ben Youngs (Leicester Tigers, 93 caps)
1 Mako Vunipola (Saracens, 56 caps)
2 Jamie George (Saracens, 43 caps)
3 Kyle Sinckler (Harlequins, 29 caps)
4 Maro Itoje (Saracens, 32 caps)
5 Courtney Lawes (Northampton Saints, 79 caps)
6 Tom Curry (Sale Sharks, 17 caps)
7 Sam Underhill (Bath Rugby, 13 caps)
8 Billy Vunipola (Saracens, 49 caps)
Finishers
16 Luke Cowan-Dickie (Exeter Chiefs, 19 caps)
17 Joe Marler (Harlequins, 66 caps)
18 Dan Cole (Leicester Tigers, 93 caps)
19 George Kruis (Saracens, 39 caps)
20 Mark Wilson (Sale Sharks 16 caps)
21 Willi Heinz (Gloucester Rugby, 8 caps)
22 Henry Slade (Exeter Chiefs, 25 caps)
23 Jonathan Joseph (Bath Rugby, 45 caps)

As Eddie said during the week, rugby is about a team of 23, it's no longer a 15 man team.

Edited to add... JBZ beat me to it!

Ford back at No.10 leads me to believe England will kick for territory and trust in their defence. It will only work if the kicking is spot on. If you kick away possesion to the AB's, they will coma back and bite you.
England should trust in the pack's ability to win and secure ball and in the back three's ability to score. Either way I think it will be a close game with both sides dominant for some period. The Kiwis are under more pressure than we are as they are expected to win.

Ford back at No.10 leads me to believe England will kick for territory and trust in their defence. It will only work if the kicking is spot on. If you kick away possesion to the AB's, they will coma back and bite you.
England should trust in the pack's ability to win and secure ball and in the back three's ability to score. Either way I think it will be a close game with both sides dominant for some period. The Kiwis are under more pressure than we are as they are expected to win.
Completely agree. I think the key battle will be between the two best back-rows in the world (pipe down Wales, you're not as good as you think).

Whoever wins at the breakdown will win the game. I wonder if Curry, Underhill, Vunipola and Wilson know that they could be the ones who win the RWC...

Boris_Johnson

ADC
DirtyBAT
If Wales hope to reach the final, or even win the bronze place, they are going to have to step their game up considerably to the display they showed against France. Beat them by 1 point with France down to 14 men for a long time but still holding Wales until the last moment.
Funny reading back through the Six Nations 2019 Thread. Wales doing enough to scrape by, each time they were either written off before each match ...or chastised after every win, simply as "the other team threw it away" or "the other team played poorly" or "what was Peyper on?".

I was just as guilty with a couple of my own pessimistic comments below too.

After Wales opener against France in the 6N:
Two shambolic sides there, not worried over much.

After the Italy vs Wales game:
wales should hold out to win this. But we may well lose the next three
Not impressed by Wales in the slightest. The way they are playing they will be glad of Italy to save them from the Spoon!

After the England vs France game:
Pleased at that.

Wales v England will be a Grand Slam decider. By that I mean that Wales could stop us, not that they will win one
I still think Wales are sub-par. And Ireland will beat them. So unless Wales smash England like the old 30-3 in Cardiff - was that 2013? - I think my prediction of England Ireland being the decider, will hold true.
Yes, beat Wales and you're pretty much GS winners.

And it's tough to see them being halted at Cardiff on this form either.

After the Wales vs England game:
I don't think Wales were amazingly good as much as England had regressed to a point before the Autumn internationals. The 34-phase try was quality though.

I still don't see Wales beating Ireland as I haven't seen Wales look like a team that could take on the AB yet.

After the Scotland Wales game:
I am really not looking forward to the Calcutta Cup match. It wouldn't surprise me if England set a new record for margin of victory. (turned out to be the best game of the tournament)

Wales will have to raise their game for the Irish, though.
For the record, I've got Ireland down to beat Wales next week.
(even thought they ended up holding them down 25-0 for the 80 minutes)

I still think South Africa is due a win this time though, and I still think England are going to be in the final.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor

Latest Threads