Rugby World Cup 2019 (RWC19)

You may remember the other 2nd Row, Paul Ackford. A police inspector, famous for his glass jaw against Argentina!
Argentinean Prop Frederico Mendes was the offending dirty bastard. Did he ever play again?
In fairness to Mendez Jeff Probyn had just done a little jig and twist on his bollocks with his size 12s and 17st... understandably the red mist rose and Mendez, who was only an 18 year old at the time, threw a fist at anyone... Ackford went down like a tower of Jenga.... ...and his little Bambi legs were all over the shop as he was dragged off....

ETA I always thought that it was his bollocks that got stamped. Seems it was just his ribcage and head.... the poof...

As for "did he ever play again"? Did he ever! He was a cracking hooker for Northampton Saints (Player of the Season award 1998/9)

Last edited:
I watched yesterday’s games. Very good.

Today I have spent the day at the Yorkshire marathon and 10 mile races. So I couldn’t watch the games. I have just finished watching the Wales game on ITV hub.

All I can say is that of the four semi-finalists, it seems to me that on their quarter-final performances, Wales is the least likely team to win through to the final.

I’m still hoping for a Wales v England final, but I reckon got will be a NZ v SA final, and Wales v England for the 3rd/4th place play off.

After years of research there is now definitive proof of the difference between the Front Row and other Rugby players
back v prop.JPG

Saw this on a NZ news site.
Funny.

In an "Ask Audrey" lifestyle column in the Irish Examiner, a German called Karl asks about the rules of rugby.

"Guten Tag. I am in Cork for three months and see that everyone is watching the Rugby World Cup. Can you explain the rules? – Karl, Berlin"

"Here is my understanding of how it works. The fat guys all run into each other, while the slightly slimmer guys stand in a line watching them"

"Eventually the fat guys get tired and have a lie down on top of each other. The ball comes out the back of this lie down and the skinnier guys kick it back and forward to each other for half an hour. Then the fat guys wake up and start running into each other again"

"Every now and again the referee stops play because someone dropped the ball. That's the only thing you are not allowed to do in rugby. Everything else would appear to be okay. Sometimes one group of fat guys pushes the other group over the line and there is some manly hugging, but no shifting like in soccer"

"After 80 minutes they add up the score and New Zealand wins."

Oooops

World Rugby is investigating after referee Jaco Peyper appeared in a photo with Wales fans seemingly mocking France lock Sebastien Vahaamahina.

World Rugby to investigate referee after controversial photo | Ruck

View attachment 424383

I did like this headline below the story

A bit chunky but def doable .. and at least she might appreciate the finer points of the game

1571666540246.png

It does remind me of the lines in the old song "if I was the marrying kind"

If I were the marrying kind,
Which, thank the Lord, I'm not, sir,
The kind of man that I would wed
Would be a rugby prop.

For he'd hold it up and I'd hold it up
And we'd hold it up together.
There we'd be in the middle of the night
Holding it up together.

Last edited:
Much as I enjoy watching that lovable rogue and all round loose cannon Ross Moriarty, I do think that the loss of Josh Navidi for the rest of the tournament is a significant blow to Wales.

I can only hope that one of Faletau or Jenkins has made a miracle recovery back home since being ruled out when the squad was picked.

I watched yesterday’s games. Very good.

Today I have spent the day at the Yorkshire marathon and 10 mile races. So I couldn’t watch the games. I have just finished watching the Wales game on ITV hub.

All I can say is that of the four semi-finalists, it seems to me that on their quarter-final performances, Wales is the least likely team to win through to the final.

I’m still hoping for a Wales v England final, but I reckon got will be a NZ v SA final, and Wales v England for the 3rd/4th place play off.
I don't think I'm bothering to watch one semi. If Wales and SA play like they did last weekend I'd rather they organised a 5th place play off between Japan and France.

To be fair, I can't see either of the Semi's being classic games of Rugby. All 4 sides will be trying to keep it tight and not wanting to make any errors (Bloody difficult for England I know) they will be played with multiple phases of forward play and a run from the backs inside the 22.

To be fair, I can't see either of the Semi's being classic games of Rugby. All 4 sides will be trying to keep it tight and not wanting to make any errors (Bloody difficult for England I know) they will be played with multiple phases of forward play and a run from the backs inside the 22.
I'm optimistic for England's chances. I took some time yesterday to have a look at who played for England when they last played the ABs (Nov last year) which was very nearly a win for England. There are 13 players from that day in the squad in Japan, spread between backs and forwards. So there should be no fear of the unknown. It will be as much a battle between the coaches/coaching staffs as between the teams.

For me, Sunday's game will be a complete anti-climax.

Camm1

War Hero
I don't think I'm bothering to watch one semi. If Wales and SA play like they did last weekend I'd rather they organised a 5th place play off between Japan and France.
A few of us were discussing the merits of a plate competition with 3rd & 4th from each pool qualifying. They could play mid week with the plate final the day before the actual final. It would give a bit more exposure to Rugby in the 'second tier' nations, something for rugby fans attending the finals to watch midweek, revenue for the stadiums etc.
Oh and a chance for Scotland to win something....

I'm optimistic for England's chances. I took some time yesterday to have a look at who played for England when they last played the ABs (Nov last year) which was very nearly a win for England. There are 13 players from that day in the squad in Japan, spread between backs and forwards. So there should be no fear of the unknown. It will be as much a battle between the coaches/coaching staffs as between the teams.

For me, Sunday's game will be a complete anti-climax.
Do you write for the Telegraph/Guardian/Mail where every article is about England and the other teams shouldn't have bothered even turning up?

Do you write for the Telegraph/Guardian/Mail where every article is about England and the other teams shouldn't have bothered even turning up?
No Mate, I freelance writing crap for Arrse. the only paper I subscribe to is The Australian.

A few of us were discussing the merits of a plate competition with 3rd & 4th from each pool qualifying. They could play mid week with the plate final the day before the actual final. It would give a bit more exposure to Rugby in the 'second tier' nations, something for rugby fans attending the finals to watch midweek, revenue for the stadiums etc.
Oh and a chance for Scotland to win something....
Cup - winners
Bowl - QF losers
Plate - Pool 3rd places
Shield - pool 4th places
They pretty well run this system in 7's tournaments so they can give points all the way down as part of the overall end of year trophy and to set seedings for the next tournament.
I'm struggling but maybe even Medal - pool 5th places.

As to Scotland beating Argentina, or even Italy to win the plate, I'd doubt it.

Latest Threads