Rugby Union

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
If Marcus Smith doesn't start at no.10, there will be a strongly worded letter winging it's way to HQ!

Marler, Cowan-Dickie, Sinckler, front row.................me like lots.
Best you start writing, you know EJ has a hard on for Farrell!

Best you start writing, you know EJ has a hard on for Farrell!
Farrell will no doubt take a centres position off someone else.
I have been a fan of Farrell's for a long time as my posts defending him on here will testify. However he did not have a good season in the championship and his Lions tour is best not mentioned. I haven't seen him play yet this season so don't know what his form is like, but IMHO he is not the best English No.10, nor is he one of the top 2 centres, therefore he would be in the "finishers" in my team.

green_slime

War Hero
I have been a fan of Farrell's for a long time as my posts defending him on here will testify. However he did not have a good season in the championship and his Lions tour is best not mentioned. I haven't seen him play yet this season so don't know what his form is like, but IMHO he is not the best English No.10, nor is he one of the top 2 centres, therefore he would be in the "finishers" in my team.
He does not make my team on merit, but I would have him there as experience and communications whilst Smith beds in. A bit like Chris Tavare made the rest of the team better whilst he was not the best in that position.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
If Marcus Smith doesn't start at no.10, there will be a strongly worded letter winging it's way to HQ!

Marler, Cowan-Dickie, Sinckler, front row.................me like lots.
That is a powerful front row! Maybe the SH Associations will want the Laws changed in some way to negate their strength! :)

With George out and Cowan-Dickie looking doubtful, this could be the time for Nic Dolly to shine with Genge and Sinckler. As usual with Jones' selection, the impact of the players coming off the bench will be key and I'd rather save Marler's intensity for the last 15 minutes.

It would be a crying shame if Farrell got a centre slot. Slade and Tuilagi play incredibly well together and are able to interchange inside/outside depending on the play-maker's call. They're also a brick wall in defence and enjoy playing together, just a shame injury has prevented them being paired regularly. Randall/Smith to start at 9/10 against Tonga with Youngs/Farrell off the bench.... probably reversing for SA and Aus. No opposition will want to see the likes of Radwan, Watson or May coming off the bench!

Maybe check out he fluked a 17-71 annihilation of Bath on Sunday. Farrell will start at 12 as I think he’s going to add experience and guidance to Smith at 10. I see no downside to that.
As for the squad, I get no Billy V. I sort of get no Mako but I don’t understand in any way no JG or Ben Earl. That to me is madness. I see Baxter dripping like a septic quim about call ups during the autumn internationals. He will get fcuk all sympathy from Saracens. We look forwards to having world class players like the ones mentioned above plus Elliott Daly when all the others are now taking the slack at international level. I don’t trust Jones any longer.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Maybe check out he fluked a 17-71 annihilation of Bath on Sunday. Farrell will start at 12 as I think he’s going to add experience and guidance to Smith at 10. I see no downside to that.
As for the squad, I get no Billy V. I sort of get no Mako but I don’t understand in any way no JG or Ben Earl. That to me is madness. I see Baxter dripping like a septic quim about call ups during the autumn internationals. He will get fcuk all sympathy from Saracens. We look forwards to having world class players like the ones mentioned above plus Elliott Daly when all the others are now taking the slack at international level. I don’t trust Jones any longer.
And that seems IF's problem. He is playing good rugby for his club but on the firm of the past couple of years has not been able to fully lift that up to the national team, which is Jones job after all. Yes keep him in the team and see how his 6N goes then EJ needs to make a firm decision regarding the future English national team.

You have to admit though that OF is getting a bit long in the tooth and his time to depart can't be that far away. Maybe he should do it with dignity and retire rather than hang on to the bitter end - he wouldn't be the first, either way.

And that seems IF's problem. He is playing good rugby for his club but on the firm of the past couple of years has not been able to fully lift that up to the national team, which is Jones job after all. Yes keep him in the team and see how his 6N goes then EJ needs to make a firm decision regarding the future English national team.

You have to admit though that OF is getting a bit long in the tooth and his time to depart can't be that far away. Maybe he should do it with dignity and retire rather than hang on to the bitter end - he wouldn't be the first, either way.
I think OF is the sort of character that won’t hang around. I genuinely think he’s got the leadership to guide Smith through to the WC. I think last year was an aberration due to both covid and the relegation thing. To me he didn’t do much wrong on the Lions tour and wasn’t given a fair opportunity due to Gatland’s obscure hard on for Biggar (and yes I’d rather have Russell in at 10 than Biggar on reflection)
OF is a leader. Jones recognises that and if he’s going to blend youth with experience then it’s madness to jettison the captain, especially as he’s doing the business at club level.

I just don’t get the sudden ostracism of JG. It’s illogical

A young No10, particularly one of Smith's ability, doesn't need yesterday's man hanging around outside him trying to give advice or second guessing his plays - that would be the absolute worst case selection. You either have one or the other and if your first choice doesn't work, bring the subs on.

Also, Farrell isn't a natural centre, he still plays 10 for Sarries. So why miss the opportunity of selecting the best centre partnership (Slade/Tuilagi) by even putting his name into the centre equation.

I'd also argue Farrell can't adapt his play-making to an evolving opposition strategy, sticking too rigidly to training field set pieces. He's got no feel for the tempo of the game and when plays go against him he just does the same thing again and again. He isn't a natural leader and his tunnel vision has been the cause of many England's worst losses under Jones (Poite's cringe-inducing put down of "I am the referee, not your coach" springs to mind).

I have always seen the Autumn internationals as a time for bringing in new caps and trying different things, the 6 Nations is for honing those changes and refining the team before the next World Cup..I know people will disagree.

A young No10, particularly one of Smith's ability, doesn't need yesterday's man hanging around outside him trying to give advice or second guessing his plays - that would be the absolute worst case selection. You either have one or the other and if your first choice doesn't work, bring the subs on.

Also, Farrell isn't a natural centre, he still plays 10 for Sarries. So why miss the opportunity of selecting the best centre partnership (Slade/Tuilagi) by even putting his name into the centre equation.

I'd also argue Farrell can't adapt his play-making to an evolving opposition strategy, sticking too rigidly to training field set pieces. He's got no feel for the tempo of the game and when plays go against him he just does the same thing again and again. He isn't a natural leader and his tunnel vision has been the cause of many England's worst losses under Jones (Poite's cringe-inducing put down of "I am the referee, not your coach" springs to mind).
Hilarious. The last thing he is is yesterday’s man.
I agree with everything you said there except for the words.

Scotland Autumn Nations Series Squad

Forwards:

Ewan Ashman – Sale Sharks - uncapped
Josh Bayliss – Bath Rugby - uncapped
Jamie Bhatti – Glasgow Warriors – 18 caps
Fraser Brown – Glasgow Warriors – 54 caps
Luke Crosbie – Edinburgh Rugby – uncapped
Rory Darge – Glasgow Warriors – uncapped
Matt Fagerson – Glasgow Warriors – 13 caps
Zander Fagerson – Glasgow Warriors – 38 caps
Grant Gilchrist – Edinburgh Rugby – 45 caps
Nick Haining – Edinburgh Rugby – 8 caps
Rob Harley – Glasgow Warriors – 22 caps
Jamie Hodgson – Edinburgh Rugby – uncapped
Oli Kebble – Glasgow Warriors – 8 caps
Murray McCallum – Glasgow Warriors – 3 caps
Stuart McInally – Edinburgh Rugby – 40 caps
Dylan Richardson – Cell C Sharks – uncapped
Jamie Ritchie – Edinburgh Rugby – 27 caps
Sam Skinner – Exeter Chiefs – 12 caps
Pierre Schoeman – Edinburgh Rugby – uncapped
Rory Sutherland – Worcester Warriors – 16 caps
Marshall Sykes – Edinburgh Rugby – uncapped
George Turner – Glasgow Warriors – 17 caps
Hamish Watson – Edinburgh Rugby – 41 caps

Backs:
Mark Bennett – Edinburgh Rugby – 22 caps
Darcy Graham – Edinburgh Rugby – 19 caps
Jamie Dobie – Glasgow Warriors – uncapped
Chris Harris – Gloucester Rugby – 28 caps
Adam Hastings – Gloucester Rugby – 23 caps
Stuart Hogg – Exeter Chiefs – 85 caps
George Horne – Glasgow Warriors – 14 caps
Damien Hoyland – Edinburgh Rugby – 4 caps
Sam Johnson – Glasgow Warriors – 18 caps
Huw Jones – Harlequins – 31 caps
Blair Kinghorn – Edinburgh Rugby – 25 caps
Duhan van de Merwe – Worcester Warriors – 10 caps
Rufus McLean – Glasgow Warriors – uncapped
Ali Price – Glasgow Warriors – 42 caps
Finn Russell – Racing 92 – 55 caps
Matt Scott – Leicester Tigers – 39 caps
Kyle Steyn – Glasgow Warriors – 1 cap
Ross Thompson – Glasgow Warriors – uncapped
Sione Tuipulotu – Glasgow Warriors – uncapped

Scotland Autumn Nations Series Squad

Forwards:

Ewan Ashman – Sale Sharks - uncapped
Josh Bayliss – Bath Rugby - uncapped
Jamie Bhatti – Glasgow Warriors – 18 caps
Fraser Brown – Glasgow Warriors – 54 caps
Luke Crosbie – Edinburgh Rugby – uncapped
Rory Darge – Glasgow Warriors – uncapped
Matt Fagerson – Glasgow Warriors – 13 caps
Zander Fagerson – Glasgow Warriors – 38 caps
Grant Gilchrist – Edinburgh Rugby – 45 caps
Nick Haining – Edinburgh Rugby – 8 caps
Rob Harley – Glasgow Warriors – 22 caps
Jamie Hodgson – Edinburgh Rugby – uncapped
Oli Kebble – Glasgow Warriors – 8 caps
Murray McCallum – Glasgow Warriors – 3 caps
Stuart McInally – Edinburgh Rugby – 40 caps
Dylan Richardson – Cell C Sharks – uncapped
Jamie Ritchie – Edinburgh Rugby – 27 caps
Sam Skinner – Exeter Chiefs – 12 caps
Pierre Schoeman – Edinburgh Rugby – uncapped
Rory Sutherland – Worcester Warriors – 16 caps
Marshall Sykes – Edinburgh Rugby – uncapped
George Turner – Glasgow Warriors – 17 caps
Hamish Watson – Edinburgh Rugby – 41 caps

Backs:
Mark Bennett – Edinburgh Rugby – 22 caps
Darcy Graham – Edinburgh Rugby – 19 caps
Jamie Dobie – Glasgow Warriors – uncapped
Chris Harris – Gloucester Rugby – 28 caps
Adam Hastings – Gloucester Rugby – 23 caps
Stuart Hogg – Exeter Chiefs – 85 caps
George Horne – Glasgow Warriors – 14 caps
Damien Hoyland – Edinburgh Rugby – 4 caps
Sam Johnson – Glasgow Warriors – 18 caps
Huw Jones – Harlequins – 31 caps
Blair Kinghorn – Edinburgh Rugby – 25 caps
Duhan van de Merwe – Worcester Warriors – 10 caps
Rufus McLean – Glasgow Warriors – uncapped
Ali Price – Glasgow Warriors – 42 caps
Finn Russell – Racing 92 – 55 caps
Matt Scott – Leicester Tigers – 39 caps
Kyle Steyn – Glasgow Warriors – 1 cap
Ross Thompson – Glasgow Warriors – uncapped
Sione Tuipulotu – Glasgow Warriors – uncapped
Interesting article.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Interesting article.

There are many up here who have been saying something similar. Indeed I was talking this over with my brother the other day and commented that the Scottish team is more like a club than national team. Yes, it is nice to have success, but it is also nice to get behind a team of Scots, even if they are not do successful.

The professional game has not been kind to Scotland and having only two professional teams in Glasgow and Edinburgh leads to a very thin pool of players.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
It’s not just Scotland to be fair, everyone does it. But I agree with the view that it weakens the national identity of the team. The knock on effect of that must be that it weakens the level of commitment and support from the national supporter base.

i can’t get my head round Anscombe playing in a Welsh jersey. He is so obviously not Welsh. He’s only one example of course. The likes of the Vunipola brothers and Faletau who have grown up here from childhood, fair enough. But the three year residency players - that’s just wrong.

It’s not just Scotland to be fair, everyone does it. But I agree with the view that it weakens the national identity of the team. The knock on effect of that must be that it weakens the level of commitment and support from the national supporter base.

i can’t get my head round Anscombe playing in a Welsh jersey. He is so obviously not Welsh. He’s only one example of course. The likes of the Vunipola brothers and Faletau who have grown up here from childhood, fair enough. But the three year residency players - that’s just wrong.
Hadleigh Parkes and Halaholo too.

BTW good news for England is that Maro is fit and named to play for Sarries this weekend

Latest Threads