Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rugby Union

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Annual Toony tombola out today with "Boom Boom" Redpath expected to be announced in the squad

I see he has chosen Scotland after age grade in England.

IIRC also eligible for France as he was born there when dad was playing abroad.

I see he has chosen Scotland after age grade in England.

IIRC also eligible for France as he was born there when dad was playing abroad.
What people also forget is that he also played age grade for Scotland before he played age grade for England.

Funny how we always get criticised for picking players born in England, or in this case France. If you point this out, of course, you get told ‘but they learned their rugby in England’. :grin:

lert

LE
What people also forget is that he also played age grade for Scotland before he played age grade for England.

Funny how we always get criticised for picking players born in England, or in this case France. If you point this out, of course, you get told ‘but they learned their rugby in England’. :grin:
Ah yes, the 'Hampshire Vunipolas'.....

I'm never quite sure where I stand on this. On the one hand there is some truth to the investment from respective Unions making some kind of moral claim on a players services. On the other hand, gangs of itinerant Saffers and South Sea Islanders do seem to be making a mockery of the concept of national teams. And don't get me started on the All Blacks!

Perhaps something akin to the football academy system could be the answer. Spot 'em early, get them to 'sign', choose your branch and take your chance.

It won't solve the issue, for the likes of Fiji, of parents migrating with their teenage kids when they know they've got a talent. But it will, perhaps, halt the flow of Saffers who know they'll never make a Springbok but whose Granny did enjoy a bowl of porridge/lava bread/fish & chips.*

*Other stereotypical national dishes are available but you get my drift hopefully.

Last edited:

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Ever come across Pringle Fisher ?

Know of him, RADC and Scotland.

Think he played for one of the Border clubs when they were the main domain of Scottish rugby

Know of him, RADC and Scotland.

Think he played for one of the Border clubs when they were the main domain of Scottish rugby
Educated at Royal High School and the Edinburgh Dental College, Fisher played his club rugby for Royal High and London Scottish. He also represented Edinburgh, the Army, Combined Services and the Barbarians

Update

The big winger, who used to play for Stade Francais, faced a disciplinary hearing last night, and has subsequently been banned for five weeks.

The LNR committee charged him with disrespecting the authority of an official as well as ‘action against a game official’.

:rofl:
I'm glad it is a harsh penalty.
The ref is the law on a rugby pitch and should be treated as such. It is part and parcel of the whole rugby ethos.
We have seen some elements of disrespect creeping in over the past few years and recently we had Sinkler actually swearing at the ref and his decision! Once rugby allows this dissent to happen without punishment it will quickly descend into football levels of abuse. Red cards and match bans for all abuse and make the players and coaching staff aware of the zero tollerance approach.
That said fans are allowed to criticise every decision made especially if it's Roman Poite!

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I'm glad it is a harsh penalty.
The ref is the law on a rugby pitch and should be treated as such. It is part and parcel of the whole rugby ethos.
We have seen some elements of disrespect creeping in over the past few years and recently we had Sinkler actually swearing at the ref and his decision! Once rugby allows this dissent to happen without punishment it will quickly descend into football levels of abuse. Red cards and match bans for all abuse and make the players and coaching staff aware of the zero tollerance approach.
That said fans are allowed to criticise every decision made especially if it's Roman Poite!
It would be nice if the Club or Country also were seen to be taking a dim view of such goings on.

IMHO, a lot of this comes from the changes brought by professional rugby whereby games are run to game plans decide by the coach and the Captain is losing more and more of his on-field authority to direct the tactics of a game. This leads to reactions when the referee is not following the respective game-plan! That is an over simplification I know, but I hope you get my drift.

Finally the England squad. Two uncapped backs, one uncapped forward and six u87ncapped in the 'shadow squad'.:

BACKS​

Elliot Daly (Saracens, 47 caps)
Owen Farrell (Saracens, 88 caps)
George Ford (Leicester Tigers, 72 caps)
Ollie Lawrence (Worcester Warriors, 3 caps)
Max Malins (Bristol Bears, 3 caps)
Jonny May (Gloucester Rugby, 61 caps)
Paolo Odogwu (Wasps, uncapped)
Harry Randall (Bristol Bears, uncapped)
Dan Robson (Wasps, 7 caps)
Henry Slade (Exeter Chiefs, 34 caps)
Anthony Watson (Bath Rugby, 46 caps)
Ben Youngs (Leicester Tigers, 104 caps)

FORWARDS​

Luke Cowan-Dickie (Exeter Chiefs, 26 caps)
Tom Curry (Sale Sharks, 28 caps)
Ben Earl (Bristol Bears, 8 caps)
Ellis Genge (Leicester Tigers, 23 caps)
Jamie George (Saracens, 54 caps)
Jonny Hill (Exeter Chiefs, 3 caps)
Maro Itoje (Saracens, 43 caps)
Joe Launchbury (Wasps, 69 caps)
Courtney Lawes (Northampton Saints, 85 caps)
Joe Marler (Harlequins, 72 caps)
Beno Obano (Bath Rugby, uncapped)
Will Stuart (Bath Rugby, 8 caps)
Sam Underhill (Bath Rugby, 22 caps)
Billy Vunipola (Saracens, 56 caps)
Harry Williams (Exeter Chiefs, 18 caps)
Mark Wilson (Newcastle Falcons, 19 caps)

Shadow squad​

Charlie Atkinson (Wasps, uncapped)
Ali Crossdale (Saracens, uncapped)
Tom Dunn (Bath Rugby, 3 caps)
Charlie Ewels (Bath Rugby, 17 caps)
George Furbank (Northampton Saints, 3 caps)
Joe Heyes (Leicester Tigers, uncapped)
Jonathan Joseph (Bath Rugby, 54 caps)
Joe Marchant (Harlequins, 4 caps)
George Martin (Leicester Tigers, uncapped)
Alex Mitchell (Northampton Saints, uncapped)
Jacob Umaga (Wasps, uncapped)
Jack Willis (Wasps, 2 caps)

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer

Wee Finn doing well in France

Just thought I would mention it, and I am sure that you are all more than capable of finding one for yourselves, but I found this a very lightweight addition to my phone's calendar:

This year's green machine

SQUAD-1200X628.png

Latest Threads