Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rugby Union

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
AWJ was obviously not happy with his reffing yesterday!
To be fair he did not have a great game. He did not really have a lot to do as the discipline of both sides was quite good, but some of the decisions he did make were poor.

I have to say I agree with RP that Biggar was not tackled in the air, he was caught on his way down and assisted safely to the pitch! ;)

AWJ was obviously not happy with his reffing yesterday!
Hardly news - not getting at you BTW. - After the match the coaches of both teams write a report about the officiating and sent it to WR - and have done for years - without whining to the press about it. Referees and assessor also get sent copies of the match and a review is carried out, usually on Monday or Tuesday after the match.

What of the 5 or 6 changes of direction made by May attempting to prevent attacking wings getting to contest for a high kick. Picked up in commentary and punditry?

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
What of the 5 or 6 changes of direction made by May attempting to prevent attacking wings getting to contest for a high kick. Picked up in commentary and punditry?
England constantly put a wall between the catcher and approaching Welsh player, especially in the first half when most of the high kicks took place. IMO, much of it was obstruction but the commentators just said England were protecting the catcher.

What of it?
Every modern team does the same these days. It's up to the 4 officials to ping anyone who has transgressed. Teams that are well beaten always like to put the blame on someone/ something else. It has always been thus. Wales are in a bad place at the moment, their senior players are coming to the end of their careers and the new blood is learning what international rugby is all about.
They need to concentrate on building for the next world cup and stop whinging at the odd bad decision on the field.

What of it?
Every modern team does the same these days. It's up to the 4 officials to ping anyone who has transgressed. Teams that are well beaten always like to put the blame on someone/ something else. It has always been thus. Wales are in a bad place at the moment, their senior players are coming to the end of their careers and the new blood is learning what international rugby is all about.
They need to concentrate on building for the next world cup and stop whinging at the odd bad decision on the field.
For sure I agree with absolutely all of that. But wheres the fun in not having a dig at the ref? Did I mention he had a shocker?

For sure I agree with absolutely all of that. But wheres the fun in not having a dig at the ref? Did I mention he had a shocker?
And yet no one has a go at the players for dropping passes, kicking it out on the full, missing vital tackles and whining like a big girls blouse to the referee every few minutes :-D

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
And such that he was not getting "advice" in stereo! That must have been one of the quietest games by Owen Farrell for a long time. :)

Could it be because decisions were unexpectedly going England's way? ;)

Refs need to get back to basics in the big games as this would filter down the chain. Set pieces need to be administered better, true 1m gap at lineouts and better control of wayward throws, better policing of the put in at scrums as they are more akin to league and the opposition has no chance of winning one against the head. Actually when did you last see a scrum won against the head at international level.

Offside sometimes seems a little fluid in the interpretation these days and better control of players on the pitch, when I was playing, only 4 people were to talk to the Ref the touch judges and the 2 captains, anything else would result in a 10 yard penalty.

Get those things correct and the rest will follow.

Refs need to get back to basics in the big games as this would filter down the chain. Set pieces need to be administered better, true 1m gap at lineouts and better control of wayward throws, better policing of the put in at scrums as they are more akin to league and the opposition has no chance of winning one against the head. Actually when did you last see a scrum won against the head at international level.

Offside sometimes seems a little fluid in the interpretation these days and better control of players on the pitch, when I was playing, only 4 people were to talk to the Ref the touch judges and the 2 captains, anything else would result in a 10 yard penalty.

Get those things correct and the rest will follow.
I’ve mentioned this before, but the law related to the put-in at the scrum was changed fairly recently, such that the scrum-half can be offset to his side of the scrum. His shoulder should be in line with the centre of the scrum. This will give the impression of a squint feed, and certainly will make winning a scrum against the head by hooking virtually impossible. The only conclusion I can draw is the World Rugby actively wish to remove the contest element of the scrum from the game, as in RL.

Latest Threads