Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rugby Union

That was one for the purists.

Well done Chiefs, but lordy, if we'd won a lineout or two it may've been different, or just a bit smarter about the red zone penalties.

Oh well.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Wales having a very grim night in Paris. France very physical but very very fast. I missed most of the first half in which Wales took an early lead but since I joined at 30 minutes it has been France that are on top of the game.

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
On balance I can't see either France or Ireland getting 4 tries past the other, so it's Englands to lose. I don't see Italy stopping them on that performance. that said England has snatched defeat from certain victory many, many times.

All hail the Chiefs! Fantastic result in appalling conditions. Very unlucky for Wasps. Well deserved MoM for Henry Slade - a very well taken try, immense tackling and his kicking out of hand was superb, especially with the conditions. Can't sing the praises of Rob Baxter high enough. It'd be a shame if we lost him to the ENG set-up but I think it's inevitable at some stage.

Agree 100% with Georgia and Fiji in the autumn tests it will only benefit them. I would also like to see all the Tier 1 countries organise A teams up against the other Tier 2 countries.
Agreed - and Australia and NZ should tour to Samoa, Tonga and Fiji regularly. Even if it doesn't make money, which is an excuse I have heard.

Eddie Jones has named a 36-player squad for his England side’s autumn tournament fixtures.​

Backs​

Joe Cokanasiga (Bath Rugby, 9 caps)
Owen Farrell (Saracens, 83 caps)
George Furbank (Northampton Saints, 2 caps)
Willi Heinz (Gloucester Rugby, 13 caps)
Jonathan Joseph (Bath Rugby, 50 caps)
Ollie Lawrence (Worcester Warriors, uncapped)
Max Malins (Bristol Bears, uncapped)
Joe Marchant (Harlequins, 3 caps)
Jonny May (Gloucester Rugby, 56 caps)
Dan Robson (Wasps, 2 caps)
Henry Slade (Exeter Chiefs, 29 caps)
Ollie Thorley (Gloucester Rugby, uncapped)
Jacob Umaga (Wasps, uncapped)
Anthony Watson (Bath Rugby, 43 caps)
Ben Youngs (Leicester Tigers, 99 caps)

Forwards​

Tom Curry (Sale Sharks, 23 caps)
Tom Dunn (Bath Rugby, uncapped)
Ben Earl (Bristol Bears, 3 caps)
Charlie Ewels (Bath Rugby, 15 caps)
Ellis Genge (Leicester Tigers, 18 caps)
Jamie George (Saracens, 49 caps)
Jonny Hill (Exeter Chiefs, uncapped)
Ted Hill (Worcester Warriors, 1 cap)
Maro Itoje (Saracens, 38 caps)
Joe Launchbury (Wasps, 65 caps)
Lewis Ludlam (Northampton Saints, 8 caps)
Beno Obano (Bath Rugby, uncapped)
David Ribbans (Northampton Saints, uncapped)
Jack Singleton (Gloucester Rugby, 3 caps)
Kyle Sinckler (Bristol Bears, 35 caps)
Will Stuart (Bath Rugby, 3 caps)
Sam Underhill (Bath Rugby, 18 caps)
Billy Vunipola (Saracens, 51 caps)
Mako Vunipola (Saracens, 59 caps)
Harry Williams (Exeter Chiefs, 18 caps)
Jack Willis (Wasps, uncapped)

Good to see Jacob Umaga in the squad.

And Dan Robson. Youngish squad
I suppose the real deal will be the match-day 23 man squad. I'd like to see Umaga (with Robson) come on once Italy are under control.

Hi all.

I can’t believe Jones isn’t picking Spencer. He’s a stubborn prick at times

I quite enjoyed the game last night. At least Finn is back. Georgia were poor so that result is nothing really to cheer about but it was nice to international rugby back. Cant really see a win against Wales based on that but then again no one gave us a chance against France.

The anthems were pretty funny though. Without the crowd they just came across as a crap audition for X Factor. You could see the dread on some of the players faces as the camera and microphone approached.
Russell showed last week in the European final why he is nowhere near good enough to tour with The Lions. He almost singlehandedly gave Exeter the trophy. He’s just too loose and his decision making deficiencies more than abate his attacking prowess

Russell showed last week in the European final why he is nowhere near good enough to tour with The Lions. He almost singlehandedly gave Exeter the trophy. He’s just too loose and his decision making deficiencies more than abate his attacking prowess
That is the way Racing want him to play

That is the way Racing want him to play
It's a great style of Rugby to watch. It's certainly more entertaining than the Exeter route 1 all-day, everyday, even if ultimately Exeter were more successful with it.

ETA: Which was another reason I wasn't exactly cock-a-hoop with the Scotland win over Georgia, which largely followed the same boring formula.

I’d suggest a change in tactics then. They should have beat Exeter
You should raise that with Laurent Travers and Mike Prendergast and Jacky Lorenzetti, he who turned down Itoje who demanded 1m euros instead of playing in the Championship, doesn't seem to mind either, .

Last edited:

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I’d suggest a change in tactics then. They should have beat Exeter

Makes a change for you to blame a player rather than the ref

Makes a change for you to blame a player rather than the ref
Well that was because Russell was to blame. I get there’s a requirement to play an expansive game but there’s a time and a place for that. That’s why Fiji don’t win more. They run it from some daft positions and it goes spectacular wrong on occasions. That where Russell comes up short. He doesn’t seem to understand when the best time to run it or put it in the stands is. It’s not in dispute that he’s got that ability to produce something from nothing in the style of Carlos Spencer or Quade Cooper but I don’t think his move selection thought process is there.
PS it’s always the ref’s fault. Did you see Owens making it all about him at the end ?

Latest Threads