Rugby Union

The first fixtures of Super Rugby AU are complete and although not up to the standard of the Kiwi competition were still well worth watching.

Some new laws are being trialed, see this link for details:

And here's a gratuitous picture (not taken by me), probably from last winter of the Brumbies playing the Reds in Canberra:

18efc7ec224d807ebf433c1006f32327.jpg

The first fixtures of Super Rugby AU are complete and although not up to the standard of the Kiwi competition were still well worth watching.

Some new laws are being trialed, see this link for details:

And here's a gratuitous picture (not taken by me), probably from last winter of the Brumbies playing the Reds in Canberra:

View attachment 487259
I cannot see the point of red card replacements!
If you have committed a foul, serious enough for a red card, why on earth should you be allowed a replacement (even after the 20 min time period talked about).

If you have committed a foul, serious enough for a red card, why on earth should you be allowed a replacement (even after the 20 min time period talked about).
Agreed. Sadly, Rugby Australia did not consult me before drafting these trial changes. The threat of a red card is there to assist with discipline.

I should add, talking about discipline, yesterday's game between the Otago Highlanders and Christchurch Crusaders featured a female streaker in the second half which the cameraman was a bit slow cutting away from. Perhaps I should try for a screen shot . . .

In normal times we would have had this yesterday

New Zealand vs Wales
Australia vs Ireland
Japan vs England
South Africa vs Scotland
Argentina vs France

:-D

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
In normal times we would have had this yesterday

New Zealand vs Wales
Australia vs Ireland
Japan vs England
South Africa vs Scotland
Argentina vs France

:-D
Hard to see past 4 home wins and just the 1 away win.

Shame for the Boks. :biggrin:

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Agreed. Sadly, Rugby Australia did not consult me before drafting these trial changes. The threat of a red card is there to assist with discipline.

I should add, talking about discipline, yesterday's game between the Otago Highlanders and Christchurch Crusaders featured a female streaker in the second half which the cameraman was a bit slow cutting away from. Perhaps I should try for a screen shot . . .
Of course they would not consult you, unless you are a TV executive with the power to hand them loadsamoney.

Of course they would not consult you, unless you are a TV executive with the power to hand them loadsamoney.
Which is just what they need at the moment.

well done CV and happy 50th to Doddie, hope he has a few more
I was going to do the 50 mile ride but there was a bugger of a hill loop and I was running the risk of having Rob Wainright lap me.

Good to see that the Big Man was inducted into the Scottish Rugby Hall of Fame on his birthday as well.

World Rugby vice-chairman Bernard Laporte has revealed that CVC will acquire a 14.5 per cent stake in the Guinness Six Nations. The former head coach of France revealed the news publicly at the AGM of the FFR that was held over the weekend. The estimated £400 million-plus buy-in has been delayed by the global coronavirus pandemic.

The exact breakdown of the deal is yet to be revealed, but Midi Olympique report that France are set to bag at least €75 million (£67.5m) over five years.

The deal has come at the perfect time for the cash strapped unions, who are forecast to lose millions due to pandemic lockdown.

RugbyPass reported last year that the CVC deal could see some Six Nations matches no longer broadcast on free-to-air television, a move that would inevitably cause controversy in the sport.

It’s a double windfall for Ireland, Wales, Scotland and Italy. The Luxembourg-based group, who previously invested in Formula One before switching its attention to rugby, spent £120million acquiring a stake in the PRO14.

The total value to the Irish, Italian, Scottish and Welsh unions is in the order of £30m each (net of costs), with an initial sum expected on Friday of approximately £5m to be paid to each of the four countries. South Africa, who have Southern Kings and Cheetahs playing in the league, won’t benefit from this deal.

Surely that just opens up the prospect of dangerous tactical foul play? Opposition made a dangerous line break, but there is still a man covering? Just tackle them from behind round their neck and don't take the risk. Someone been gobbing off in the scrum? Knee to the face at the next breakdown. Run out of replacements? Don't bother with blood capsules, just chin someone.

Seems like an obvious and ridiculous risk to player safety.

And the silliness continues . . . a petition with a massive 131 signatures (so far) calls for Exeter Chiefs to ' remove their ‘racist’ and ‘culturally appropriating’ branding which the club has used since 1999'.

Stop the world I want to get off.
Well it seems inevitable that Exeter Chiefs are going to have to rebrand before they come under pressure or are directly targeted from folk who probably aren’t the least bit interested in rugby and couldn’t point to where Sandy Park is on a map but are the sort who are offended on behalf of people that aren’t offended.... If an NFL club like Washington Redskins have confirmed that they’re bowing to pressure and will be changing their name then what hope does a club in Devon, with no Native American Indian connection, have of arguing to retain this ‘offensive brand’?

It’s a real shame as it’s not like the ‘Chiefs’ is some tag-on marketing label that was just created when they got promoted into the Premiership in 2010 (unlike Bristol Bears which was great until somebody pointed out that the Bristol Bears was already taken and it was the name of a gay bar in town for hairy poofs in leather)

The Chiefs have had that brand since 1999 while they were knocking around in the Championship (which at that time was National One) and their camp followers have turned up in numbers since then and often outnumbered the home fans when they were playing teams like Sedgley Park, Otley, Moseley and Waterloo. When they played my team Newbury back then their ‘Tribe’ were wearing the feathered headdress and their ‘Tomahawk Chop’ chant gave a great fun atmosphere when spectator numbers at that level were probably only 200 or so at some grounds. Their ‘Big Chief’ mascot is the same as it was then... he’s gotta go too.. look at him... disgusting stereotyping

Other US sports teams are now being targeted now that the protesters have beaten the Redskins into submission. Next are Atlanta Braves, Kansas City Chiefs, Cleveland Indians, Chicago Blackhawks.....

What next.... time for the Haka to be scrapped..... cultural appropriation by too many fake Maoris... but that wouldn't be a bad thing...

It’s a double windfall for Ireland, Wales, Scotland and Italy. The Luxembourg-based group, who previously invested in Formula One before switching its attention to rugby, spent £120million acquiring a stake in the PRO14.
How long will this "double windfall" last?
CVC will want a bigger share sooner or later, then it's only a matter of time before the England and France home games are pay per view, generating huge incomes to the two unions, whilst the remaining countries fight for tv scraps. They also want to turn the 6 nations into 8 or 9 nations, further diluting the money pot.

Sad news of the passing of Mike Slemen (no pun intended, he was a winger and so this may be the first time the word “passing” has been used in connection with his name ). His is one of the names and faces that I fondly remember from the days of my youth, playing alongside the likes of Bill Beaumont and Roger Uttley in a very good England side. Played for the British Lions, too. Retired as England’s most capped winger at that time.

Hmmmm....testing the water for a new 7/8/9 nations tournament :x
It also means the northern hemisphere teams will miss out on playing the southern hemisphere teams, which I believe will impact on performances in future world cups if it is allowed to remain so.
Not a big fan of the way European rugby is progressing.

Something to watch over next few months

Every Premiership game played behind closed doors will be shown live on television when the season resumes.

BT Sport will show every game live until crowds are allowed back into stadiums, with Channel 5 simultaneously showing four of the remaining 57 fixtures free-to-air.

Clubs are working with BT Sport to allow season ticket-holders free access to home games on the channel's app.

The Premiership final will be held at Twickenham on Saturday, 24 October.

feu_de_joie

War Hero
According to the Telegraph, a punishing schedule, some sides have 7 matches in 28 days. Apparently squad sizes have fallen so even more pressure on first choice players

Latest Threads