Rugby Union

Bill Beaumont is thinking of trialling a return to injury only substitutions. This is aimed at reducing the injury risk and opening up the game as players will have to play the full 80 minutes. Presumably, clubs might be able to reduce their squad size too. Sounds worth trying out
Good in principle, but who would confirm the injury? And what constitutes a "sub" injury?

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Vern Cotter has been appointed the next coach of Fiji.

ETA Other candidates were Franc Azema, Oliver Magne and Dean Richards also 2 locals and Simon Raiwalui

Last edited:

A further 70 point deduction to Sarries "to ensure they finish bottom of the table" - yep, that should do it. And to add insult to injury I'll be backing Leinster in the quarters.
So that'll be the fourth punishment then. Fine. 35 points. Relegation. 70 points just in case. FFS.

....and two years in the Chumpionship remember before they can be considered for promotion....
How so?
The extra 70 points is for this season, they, like any other club relegated, only have to win the next year to gain promotion. Unless they move the posts again and destroy even more of rugbys position.

How so?
The extra 70 points is for this season, they, like any other club relegated, only have to win the next year to gain promotion. Unless they move the posts again and destroy even more of rugbys position.
..not so... them's the rules.... I mean laws... the Championship club has to comply with 'the Promoted Club' rule in order to gain access to the Premiership... as specified at Regulation 15 of the Premiership Regulations...

(snipped from elsewhere) "Many immediately interpreted this as a requirement that a promoted club must comply with the Regulations for two consecutive seasons in order to qualify for promotion. Of course, given that Saracens must be in breach this season (2019/20), this would mean they would need to comply with the Regulations for two seasons before being allowed to return to the Premiership. On such an analysis, the earliest Saracens could return to the Premiership would be September 2022."

Good article on the whole mess here:

...and while we're at it let's remove the £1.8M parachute payment they'll get..... that'll learn 'em....

Last edited:
At the end of the day, it was their choice. Produce your books or take relegation. They chose the latter, which in it's own way speaks volumes.

I'm sure Saracens and every other club will be complying for the foreseeable future.

It wouldn't surprise me, if some players, not only leave, but take legal action against the club, we will see. But they have created a very complicated mess with their cheating, which goes way beyond Allianz Park.

;

At the end of the day, it was their choice. Produce your books or take relegation. They chose the latter, which in it's own way speaks volumes.

I'm sure Saracens and every other club will be complying for the foreseeable future.

It wouldn't surprise me, if some players, not only leave, but take legal action against the club, we will see. But they have created a very complicated mess with their cheating, which goes way beyond Allianz Park.

;
As I said in an earlier post, this does nothing good for English rugby. Yes we can all take the piss and have a good laugh at Sarries misfortune, but I hope it doesn't impact on the England team in the coming weeks.

As I said in an earlier post, this does nothing good for English rugby. Yes we can all take the piss and have a good laugh at Sarries misfortune, but I hope it doesn't impact on the England team in the coming weeks.
I disagree. I now hope England come sixth. Enough's enough. Are they going to keep kicking Saracens until there's no further movement? Why doesn't PRL get the RFU to just close down the club? I think that's what's coming. There's no way they can keep up AP, and pay for the extensions that are being built now, while playing in the Championship for two seasons. Saracens is over. Let's hope they don't find anything wrong at any other club, eh?

I disagree. I now hope England come sixth. Enough's enough. Are they going to keep kicking Saracens until there's no further movement? Why doesn't PRL get the RFU to just close down the club? I think that's what's coming. There's no way they can keep up AP, and pay for the extensions that are being built now, while playing in the Championship for two seasons. Saracens is over. Let's hope they don't find anything wrong at any other club, eh?
I understand your frustration and anger, but feel it's directed in the wrong direction. I previously stated, it is the fans I feel for, everyone else at the club was complicit.

Who ever decided to build a squad like that, and thought nobody would notice you couldn't do it within the cap, must be an idiot. Then someone else has sanctioned it, and said, "Don't worry, we can get around that, by doing this." Sheer stupidity on the part of the management, poor management if you will, nothing to do with the RFU, PRL or the national side.

Last edited:
You are Stephen Jones and i claim my £1 million directorship of a totally legit company

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Just as a matter of interest.
Saracens were found to be in breach of the salary cap.

As far as I can see, they have not let anyone go.

Does that mean that they are still breaching the salary cap this season?

ie. despite everything, they haven't actually changed anything.

England won’t come sixth. Don’t get me wrong, I’d find it very amusing if they did, but I do not wish that result on them because of the Saracens situation. I’d just find it amusing because I’m Welsh.

But all the other non-Saracens players haven’t been caught doing anything wrong (yet!) and all the England supporters are helpless observers of this particular car crash.

Punish Saracens, by all means, but I still want England to be a competitive foe at international level.

Just as a matter of interest.
Saracens were found to be in breach of the salary cap.

As far as I can see, they have not let anyone go.

Does that mean that they are still breaching the salary cap this season?

ie. despite everything, they haven't actually changed anything.
They can't just sack them as the payments will still count as the salary cap for this year. The other clubs will not want to take them on, at present, as a lot of those clubs will be close to their salary cap limit.

They can't just sack them as the payments will still count as the salary cap for this year. The other clubs will not want to take them on, at present, as a lot of those clubs will be close to their salary cap limit.
Which they have already been fined for this pay year so why get rid? What happens next year wiith the relegation to the international players is quite a different matter. Many of the stars are home grown academy grads so their loyaly to the club over moving on to improve their first class match fitness will be interesting to watch. Doubt many would want to move to the west cuntry!!

They are international standard professional athletes. They have agents and business advisers. They rub shoulders with other professionals from other clubs and countries. No doubt they talk about professional opportunities, how so-and-so’s move went from x club to y club. They will be aware of levels of remuneration at different clubs and of chances of gaining international honours at different places.

It’s not yet sunk to the level of professional football, but I personally don’t believe that (in most cases) club loyalty carries much weight when decisions about career are being made.

Latest Threads