Rugby Union

BIGBIRD101

War Hero
The other thing to consider is if they do drop into the championship & keep the squad, it kind of screws that league over as Saracens will most likely be promoted by Christmas, which makes the whole competition a bit of a farce for the fans of other teams battling for a place in the big league.
As a tigers fan i am overjoyed at the news (although sympathetic to the back room staff who will inevitably be facing cuts)
They may well smash the championship next season, however as I understand it a team needs to demonstrate that they have been under the cap for the past two seasons in order to get promoted. So that could mean two seasons without the cheating barstewards

UKTAP

LE
As a tigers fan i am overjoyed at the news (although sympathetic to the back room staff who will inevitably be facing cuts)
They may well smash the championship next season, however as I understand it a team needs to demonstrate that they have been under the cap for the past two seasons in order to get promoted. So that could mean two seasons without the cheating barstewards
As the Falcons are proving, the gap between the Premiership and Championship is huge. I suspect Sarries youngsters would piss the second tier alone, even ignoring the non-England 1st XV players who may still decide to stay and take a gap year.

I also think there are a few youngsters at Sarries who would relish becoming first choice. If Farrell choses to move on, that may not be a bad thing for them, either...

The other thing to consider is if they do drop into the championship & keep the squad, it kind of screws that league over as Saracens will most likely be promoted by Christmas, which makes the whole competition a bit of a farce for the fans of other teams battling for a place in the big league.
As @BIGBIRD101 hinted, although there is no salary cap in the Championship a club seeking promotion must comply with the Premiership salary cap for two consecutive seasons - the season they win promotion and the previous season.

By that logic it would seem Saracens would therefore be unable to bounce straight back up into the Premiership after just one season.

...unless they tweak the regulations....

UKTAP

LE
As @BIGBIRD101 hinted, although there is no salary cap in the Championship a club seeking promotion must comply with the Premiership salary cap for two consecutive seasons - the season they win promotion and the previous season.

By that logic it would seem Saracens would therefore be unable to bounce straight back up into the Premiership after just one season.

...unless they tweak the regulations....
I find it unlikely that they would effectively triple punish Sarries (fine, relegation and then promotion ban) by stopping them from coming back up. Would kind of make the next season for them pointless too, with nothing to play for at all.

The highly respected Rob Baxter of Exeter, was interviewed following their win over La Rochelle.

He said words to the effect of, "We all sign up to the (Premiership) rules, and agree to abide by them."

That to me sums it up. Not a level playing field, ungentlemanly conduct, call it what you like, it's cheating.

I feel sorry for the fans, but the players and everyone else were complicit, and deserve everything they get.

I find it unlikely that they would effectively triple punish Sarries (fine, relegation and then promotion ban) by stopping them from coming back up. Would kind of make the next season for them pointless too, with nothing to play for at all.
As Chiefs chief exec Tony Rowe says "They had two choices: they could either open up their books so that Premiership Rugby could do a forensic audit of exactly what has gone on, or they could take relegation. So it was their choice not to open up their books and they have taken relegation instead"

A consequence of them opting for relegation is they fall under Championship regulations, and Championship regulations currently dictate the two seasons of financial conduct thing. Maybe Saracens haven't thought this through.... or maybe they're relying on the regulations being changed to suit them.

Either way, they should be relegated with points deduction as well.... otherwise their promotion will almost be automatic and over by mid season

lecky

War Hero
With any buying out of contracts by anyone, coming out of their respective Salary caps and Saracens having to save somewhere between £1M-£2M (depending on which paper you read) on their wage bill this season, I guess they couldn't persuade the enough of their playing staff to take a pay cut? It was always going to be tough to find a club that had enough spare cap to take a player willing to sacrifice their place at Saracens, or a rival club with the inclination to help Saracens out.
So down they have to go.
3 Years ago, Saracens ( and allegedly Bath) were told to stop taking the mick out of the cap and they each got a fine. Since then, one of those clubs wound it down, whilst the other carried on flashing the cash as if no one would notice.
They've had it coming and they can't say they weren't warned.

Next Summer will be interesting. I expect quite a few squad players out of contract by then in the rest of the Prem, will be in fear of being replaced by a Saracens "name."

It'll also be interesting to see if the parent company in Munich, Allianz SE, will continue to allow their British arm to stick by this 'toxic brand' with more years of sponsorship and have their name associated with a cheating club and emblazoned above the stadium.

It goes from bad to worse for the Spivs with Billy Vunipola having a suspected broken forearm, the fourth time this has happened to him and the Spivs are down to 14 men after Will Skelton's red card after a great start to the match for them.

I would dearly love Gloucester to get 5 points in Toulouse and pinch SAfricans qualifying place, but sadly feel it is too much to ask.

Time will tell?

I think it would make it almost certain that Sarries would look for another league to play in.

I think it would make it almost certain that Sarries would look for another league to play in.
There was mention on Planet Rugby - and elsewhere - about joining the Pro 14. However, there is a stumbling block, with the negotiations going on with 6N and CVC the PRO14 will not wish to jeopardise that deal, which is already agreed in principle. The PRO14 is also run by unions, and the entry of a privately owned rugby club could throw governance issues into the air.

feu_de_joie

War Hero
According to the Telegraph, they are not thinking of joining the Pro14 but playing friendlies against Pro14 sides in order to have top opposition. I am not sure how you would achieve this in an already crowded fixture list and with the game limits on players. Lyon are apparently interested in Farrell

UKTAP

LE
According to the Telegraph, they are not thinking of joining the Pro14 but playing friendlies against Pro14 sides in order to have top opposition. I am not sure how you would achieve this in an already crowded fixture list and with the game limits on players. Lyon are apparently interested in Farrell
Unless the RFU change the rules on selecting players for England from foreign clubs, why would Farrell go overseas?

Unless Eddie Jones goes and his successor realises that there are at least two other better English Fly Halves...

The Premiership clubs may be glad to see the punishment being handed out and for Sarries to drop, but one thing that helps relegated teams to bounce straight back up is the parachute payments they receive (£1.7M). The Championship clubs they're competing against are in the main struggling financially so from the outset the relegated team are at a significant advantage. Is it fair that Sarries will be allowed the parachute payment?

Is it fair that Sarries will be allowed the parachute payment?
Absolutely, let's punish them three times for the same offence. No audit for three years followed by a massive fine, a 35 point deduction, a relegation when they were legally unable to comply with the salary cap this year because legal contracts had already been initiated, and THEN refusal to give the parachute payment? Oh, why not, pile it on.

It's the three years they were caught for... they were (allegedly) committing the offence for far longer... 'Unable' (?) to comply with the salary cap regulations? What utter bollox...

Is this your hat btw?

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Absolutely, let's punish them three times for the same offence. No audit for three years followed by a massive fine, a 35 point deduction, a relegation when they were legally unable to comply with the salary cap this year because legal contracts had already been initiated, and THEN refusal to give the parachute payment? Oh, why not, pile it on.
Perhaps those contracts should not have been signed then?

Or are you suggesting that the club were unaware of how much they were going to be paying folk?
And what the salary cap is?

I can understand if it was financial mismanagement but it wasn't, it was blatant cheating. That is why they accepted relegation and are refusing to have their accounts forensically audited by Premiership Rugby and a independent auditor.

ETA - all Premiership clubs should be forced to have their accounts forensically audited to ensure that they are all following the rules.

Last edited:

Latest Threads