Rugby Union

35 minutes of rugby excellence, behind the scenes in the final week of the BaaBaas series building to the game against Wales.

Excellent news Duhan is going nowhere.

Duhan van der Merwe has today extended his stay with Edinburgh. He currently tops both the Guinness PRO14 and European Challenge Cup stats for metres gained (599m and 387m), while he has beaten the most defenders (45) and made the most clean breaks (18 ) after ten rounds of league action.

This seems excessive for the head of any union. Not sure how big the SRU is, but just shy of a million?

Surely better invested in grass roots?

Scottish Rugby: Large increase in top executive earnings revealed
Scottish Rugby: Large increase in top executive earnings revealed
I certainly wouldn't be happy if I was a member. This quote from the article, speaks for itself.

A statement from the national governing body said payments "reflect the individuals' contribution to its Long Term Incentive Plan to deliver on the organisation's strategic initiatives and targets".

The accounts come following a disappointing year for Scotland's national team on the field, with Gregor Townsend's side failing to make it out of the pool stage of the World Cup for only the second time in the competition's history.

They will also be hoping for an improved performance in the 2020 Six Nations, having finished fifth last year, with just one victory.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
They will also be hoping for an improved performance in the 2020 Six Nations, having finished fifth last year, with just one victory.
Having seen the squad and captain, we can only dream to reach that height this year!

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
What grass roots? The SRU have been pouring weedkiller on them over the last 20 years, not financing them.
They have been supporting grass roots in Australia, NewZealand and South Africa!

Having seen the squad and captain, we can only dream to reach that height this year!
So sad, it becomes annoying, even for a non Jock.

to deliver on the organisation's strategic initiatives and targets".

See that word "Deliver", has nobody thought about a clause in the contract, whereby, they get the money when they actually deliver the target?

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
So sad, it becomes annoying, even for a non Jock.

to deliver on the organisation's strategic initiatives and targets".

See that word "Deliver", has nobody thought about a clause in the contract, whereby, they get the money when they actually deliver the target?
If the SRU went for performance related pay, they would save themselves a fortune!

So Wales is selecting English born players, playing in English clubs. Great.

I know all nations are at it, and I may be beginning to sound like a stuck record on this subject, but someone needs to have a close look at the nationality rules. Having a granny born in Wales in 1933 does not, to my mind, make one Welsh.

What with all the South Sea Islanders finding that they are all actually citizens of all sorts of other countries, and people who naive observers might consider to be South Africans actually turning out to be Scottish, English or Italian (other examples are available), the whole thing is a nonsense.

It makes it much harder to identify with and emotionally invest in one’s national side if one does not see it as being populated with nationals of one’s own country.

And before you ask, yes I’m Welsh. My great grandfather was born and raised in England but used to drive a delivery truck across to North Wales once a week.

(Welsh arrsers might consider that the English part of this is no bar to being Welsh, but that the North Wales bit positively disqualifies him from any claim to being properly Welsh!)

And before you ask, yes I’m Welsh. My great grandfather was born and raised in England but used to drive a delivery truck across to North Wales once a week.

(Welsh arrsers might consider that the English part of this is no bar to being Welsh, but that the North Wales bit positively disqualifies him from any claim to being properly Welsh!)

You mean Liverpool?

There's an estate in Colwyn Bay, where every second bloke looks like GG Schweik.

Back to the upcoming 6 Nations. It was mentioned during the RWC that France are looking to seriously rebuild for their home RWC. I don't know what changes have been made so far and this 6 Nations is maybe too soon for it to make a difference, but I predict that they will steadily improve over the next 3 1/2 years and I wouldn't be surprised to see them win a championship before 2023.

More bad news for Saracens. This is not being reported on the BBC but Rugbypass isn't known for tall tales

"Rumours circulating English rugby tonight are that an unprecedented move that would see the champions relegated directly to the Championship, regardless of their total league points tally at the end of the current season, is the most likely outcome. "

More bad news for Saracens. This is not being reported on the BBC but Rugbypass isn't known for tall tales

"Rumours circulating English rugby tonight are that an unprecedented move that would see the champions relegated directly to the Championship, regardless of their total league points tally at the end of the current season, is the most likely outcome. "

It's on BBC now. Having admitted exceeding the cap twice by more than £650k they deservedly got a 35pt deduction and a hefty fine (could have been double but it was decided to run the fines concurrently), they've now admitted breaching the cap by £1m this season.... beggars belief!

It's on BBC now. Having admitted exceeding the cap twice by more than £650k they deservedly got a 35pt deduction and a hefty fine (could have been double but it was decided to run the fines concurrently), they've now admitted breaching the cap by £1m this season.... beggars belief!
Well at least they aren't denying it this time. I thought they were taking steps to rectify matters ASAP including talk of salary reductions and players 'moving on'.

Today's DT has a headline/article summary to the effect that England players at Sarries, if 'moved on', will have to find a new club if they want to be selected for England. I no longer subscribe to the DT do have no details. Hopefully RugbyPass will enlighten me later.

Has Sarries become the Millwall of the Gallagher Premiership? Everyone hates us, we don't care.

feu_de_joie

War Hero
Well at least they aren't denying it this time. I thought they were taking steps to rectify matters ASAP including talk of salary reductions and players 'moving on'.

Today's DT has a headline/article summary to the effect that England players at Sarries, if 'moved on', will have to find a new club if they want to be selected for England. I no longer subscribe to the DT do have no details. Hopefully RugbyPass will enlighten me later.

Has Sarries become the Millwall of the Gallagher Premiership? Everyone hates us, we don't care.
Why do the England players have to find a new club? Jason Robinson played as an unaffiliated player

Latest Threads