Rugby Union

And its not what they believe in, they can believe in what they like. They’re just not entitled to free speech in respect of those beliefs.

It is a bit of a mess
I agree. And it's wrong - it's the beginning of a slippery slope which has nothing to do with rugby, rugby just happens to be the setting.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Very enjoyable game for a neutral
A good game and the better team won. I had to endure the most bizarre Irish commentary, which mangled not only Saracens' players' names but even Leinster names.

Great couple of days down in Newcastle, good company, good food, a few drinks and two enjoyable games to watch. Clermont and Saracens deserved their wins and atmosphere at both were great. I would recommend the weekend to all, we are thinking about going to Marseille for next years games.

I used to think that Folau and Rugby Australia would patch up their differences with some weaselly worded statement that would be designed to paper over the cracks sufficiently to let him get back to playing again. Having read the attached article I’m not sure that’s going to be possible any more.

Israel Folau: Ex-Wallabies full-back says backing down would be 'Satan's' work
Whether I agree with his views or not, I admire a man who will stand by his beliefs in the face of a union / big business backers.

Its all jolly good banter but at the end of the day, Gatland has led two lions tours so far, winning against Australia and drawing against NZ. He seems to know what he is doing. Its a long way off yet, but going on last year's results - Wales played five and won five; Scotland played five and won one. On current performance, therefore you would expect there to be more Welsh (and English and Irish) players than Scots. It's all very well moaning about Welsh bias, but Gatland's selections won him a tour and drew him a tour, and Wales are the current Grand Slam champions.

You'd all be moaning like crazy if he packed the team with Jocks and they went out there and got battered!

Also, in respect of Hoggy, stalwart though he is, there can't be a serious rugby fan on this forum who would pick Hoggy in front of Liam Williams, is there?

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Its all jolly good banter but at the end of the day, Gatland has led two lions tours so far, winning against Australia and drawing against NZ. He seems to know what he is doing. Its a long way off yet, but going on last year's results - Wales played five and won five; Scotland played five and won one. On current performance, therefore you would expect there to be more Welsh (and English and Irish) players than Scots. It's all very well moaning about Welsh bias, but Gatland's selections won him a tour and drew him a tour, and Wales are the current Grand Slam champions.

You'd all be moaning like crazy if he packed the team with Jocks and they went out there and got battered!

Also, in respect of Hoggy, stalwart though he is, there can't be a serious rugby fan on this forum who would pick Hoggy in front of Liam Williams, is there?
I don;t think we've ever asked for a team packed with Jocks, just occasionally to get one or two on the park

Fair enough. And one or two might make it. Huw Jones is decent. As are Hogg, Maitland and even Finn Russell. But how many of them would be a first choice Lions pick - honestly? Russell, for all his qualities, isn't going to get in ahead of Sexton and Farrell - and they're not even Welsh!

It is important to have representatives from all the home nations in the Lions squad, but if you want to win tests you have to pick your best team.

Which Scottish players would you have in the starting line up?

Whether I agree with his views or not, I admire a man who will stand by his beliefs in the face of a union / big business backers.
Gone.
The panel, which had considered written submissions from the player’s legal team and Rugby Australia, had the option of handing out a fine or a suspension, but given Folau’s refusal to back down they chose termination.
Folau, Super Rugby’s all-time record try-scorer, is believed to have rejected a $1m settlement offered by Rugby Australia before the code of conduct hearing over a week ago in Sydney, and will now be forced out of the Australian game without financial compensation.

Israel Folau sacked over social media posts after panel rules in favour of Rugby Australia

Oh dear. Imagine all the Good Works he could have done with $1m. The Lord works in mysterious ways indeed.
Is that what thirty pieces of silver is worth these days?

Latest Threads