Rugby Union

Just finished lstening to this.

BBC Radio 5 live - Six Nations 2019, Week 4 Preview

The middle part of the show is on the proposed changes to world rugby. It is interesting to hear the former players views, and the general consensus of opinion is something needs to be done but not what is currently on the table.

Last edited:
God help us, not another one!

I mean, I like to see a strong Welsh team, but the clue is in the name. Welsh. What I don’t want is a strong team of players who were brought up in New Zealand and who happen to have lived in Wales for three years, but wearing red shirts and calling themselves Wales. Quite frankly I’d rather see a proper Welsh rugby team failing to win the Six Nations than a plastic Welsh rugby team winning it. And yes, that includes Hadleigh Parkes and Gareth Anscombe (NZ U20s World Cup winner).

Wales now have a new potential attacking weapon later this year

The Sunwolves have been cut from the Super Rugby competition, but not until they have played next season. I feel a bit sad about this as I find myself supporting them against anybody other than the Brumbies and Reds. Apparently the South African teams didn't like travelling all the way to Singapore or Hong Kong (let alone Japan) for the games.

Confirmed: Sunwolves cut from Super Rugby from 2021

Cockers brings in a few internationalists straight away for Leinster game with John Barclay finally making his debut for Edinburgh and good to see the return of Matty Scott after his concussion in October.

The Sunwolves have been cut from the Super Rugby competition.
Apparently the South African teams didn't like travelling all the way to Singapore or Hong Kong (let alone Japan) for the games.

Confirmed: Sunwolves cut from Super Rugby from 2021
Fascinating.
I'm sure the reverse was true - the Wolves didn't like the flight to SA.
BUT, methinks, given the sleaziness involved in SANZAAR, that the newly-sold Kings may get themselves back into the Super competition.
Greatest Rugby Company in the Whole Wide World buys the Southern Kings

The owners of GRC are Eastern Cape businesspeople Loyiso Dotwana‚ Gary Markson‚ Rory Stear‚ Kenny Govender and Vuyo Zitumane.
Dotwana‚ head of the consortium‚ said: “We have followed a rigorous process to take control of the franchise but we have been single-minded throughout: that bringing ownership of the Southern Kings into local hands will be good for the team and good for the region

In other words, a 'politically correct' mob who see this as just another excuse to loot funds.

God help us, not another one!

I mean, I like to see a strong Welsh team, but the clue is in the name. Welsh. What I don’t want is a strong team of players who were brought up in New Zealand and who happen to have lived in Wales for three years, but wearing red shirts and calling themselves Wales. Quite frankly I’d rather see a proper Welsh rugby team failing to win the Six Nations than a plastic Welsh rugby team winning it. And yes, that includes Hadleigh Parkes and Gareth Anscombe (NZ U20s World Cup winner).

Wales now have a new potential attacking weapon later this year
While I might admire your attitude I'm afraid you're in a minority both in the general rugby world and also in Wales. As soon as it became a professional sport winning in general [as opposed to just beating England] became too important to team finances to maintain the racial purity line. If the Yorkshire county cricket club can buckle then you haven't really got a hope.

Fascinating.
I'm sure the reverse was true - the Wolves didn't like the flight to SA.
BUT, methinks, given the sleaziness involved in SANZAAR, that the newly-sold Kings may get themselves back into the Super competition.
Greatest Rugby Company in the Whole Wide World buys the Southern Kings

The owners of GRC are Eastern Cape businesspeople Loyiso Dotwana‚ Gary Markson‚ Rory Stear‚ Kenny Govender and Vuyo Zitumane.
Dotwana‚ head of the consortium‚ said: “We have followed a rigorous process to take control of the franchise but we have been single-minded throughout: that bringing ownership of the Southern Kings into local hands will be good for the team and good for the region

In other words, a 'politically correct' mob who see this as just another excuse to loot funds.
Wow. Perhaps the Moondogs are better off out of it. Anyway, back to Blues v Highlanders.

While I might admire your attitude I'm afraid you're in a minority both in the general rugby world and also in Wales. As soon as it became a professional sport winning in general [as opposed to just beating England] became too important to team finances to maintain the racial purity line. If the Yorkshire county cricket club can buckle then you haven't really got a hope.
I recognise that. But I don’t like it.

As soon as it became a professional sport winning in general [as opposed to just beating England] became too important to team finances to maintain the racial purity line.
Maybe some of the North of the Border chaps can confirm, but I seem to recall in football, a few years back, either Celtic or Rangers played a European match without a Scot on the field.

Cracking match, wasn't it?
Good game indeed. There's nothing I enjoy more than watching two Kiwi teams belting each other! Seriously, the Blues did very well. It's hard work, this time of year, with Super Rugby, Six Nations and Gallagher Premiership all on the go.

I've just realised that I'll be back in Canberra next month for the Brumbies home match against the Lions. Care to make a prediction?

Good game indeed. There's nothing I enjoy more than watching two Kiwi teams belting each other! Seriously, the Blues did very well. It's hard work, this time of year, with Super Rugby, Six Nations and Gallagher Premiership all on the go.

I've just realised that I'll be back in Canberra next month for the Brumbies home match against the Lions. Care to make a prediction?
Lions are looking good, I must say.
But they are getting a lot of early-season injuries - they'll be playing with locks as loose forwards this weekend.
They were amazing last week - 33-5 down and came back to win 36-33.

Lions are looking good, I must say.
But they are getting a lot of early-season injuries - they'll be playing with locks as loose forwards this weekend.
They were amazing last week - 33-5 down and came back to win 36-33.
I watched that (replay), interesting referee . . .

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Cockers brings in a few internationalists straight away for Leinster game with John Barclay finally making his debut for Edinburgh and good to see the return of Matty Scott after his concussion in October.
Barclay picking up MotM for his efforts though did have the "benefit of a 10 minute tactical HIA."

His words in post match interview

Barclay picking up MotM for his efforts though did have the "benefit of a 10 minute tactical HIA."

His words in post match interview
Was there and a deserved win against a mainly second string Leinster, obviously saving themselves for next week's champions league quarters, we were lucky to have had 15 on the field as Fraser McKenzie probably should have seen red instead of yellow.

Still got next week to look forward to against Munster with over 30,000 tickets sold..

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Good game on Channel 5, Sarrie v Quin's with the Quin's leading at half time.

Contentious event just on the half time, the ball is in Sarrie's 5 meters and they are under severe pressure so Sarrie player thinking the clock had gone red kicked out. Ref said it was one second too early, checked with timekeeper and awards lineout to Quin's who then score!

Sarrie player said clock in stadium - home player in his own stadium - showed red time. Ref said only time is his! Sarrie not happy.

ETA, I note it is not the home stadium but a neutral one - London Stadium - so home advantage didn't apply.

Last edited:

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I almost, almost feel sorry for Saracens who have just had a try knocked off for the ref getting in the way!

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Saracens win 27-20 but well challenged by Quin's. Quite a good game to watch but not a classic.