Rugby Union

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
England squad for the autumn internationals announced:

Forwards (20)
Tom Curry (Sale Sharks), Charlie Ewels (Bath Rugby), Jamie George (Saracens), Dylan Hartley (Northampton Saints) co-captain, Alec Hepburn (Exeter Chiefs), Ted Hill (Worcester Warriors) *, Maro Itoje (Saracens), George Kruis (Saracens), Courtney Lawes (Northampton Saints), Zach Mercer (Bath Rugby), Ben Moon (Exeter Chiefs), Ben Morgan (Gloucester Rugby), Michael Rhodes (Saracens), Nick Schonert (Worcester Warriors), Brad Shields (Wasps), Kyle Sinckler (Harlequins), Elliott Stooke (Bath Rugby), Sam Underhill (Bath Rugby), Harry Williams (Exeter Chiefs), Mark Wilson (Newcastle Falcons)

Backs (16)
Chris Ashton (Sale Sharks), Mike Brown (Harlequins), Danny Care (Harlequins), Joe Cokanasiga (Bath Rugby), Elliot Daly (Wasps), Nathan Earle (Harlequins), Owen Farrell (Saracens) co-captain, George Ford (Leicester Tigers), Alex Lozowski (Saracens), Jonny May (Leicester Tigers), Jack Nowell (Exeter Chiefs), Henry Slade (Exeter Chiefs), Ben Te’o (Worcester Warriors), Manu Tuilagi (Leicester Tigers), Richard Wigglesworth (Saracens), Ben Youngs (Leicester Tigers).

*Apprentice

Unavailable for selection

Jack Clifford (Harlequins), Ellis Genge (Leicester Tigers), Nathan Hughes (Wasps), Nick Isiekwe (Saracens), Jonathan Joseph (Bath Rugby), Joe Launchbury (Wasps), Chris Robshaw (Harlequins), Dan Robson (Wasps), Billy Vunipola (Saracens), Mako Vunipola (Saracens), Anthony Watson (Bath Rugby).
I would have thought they could have found a captain, or co-captains, other than Hartley and Farrell. I'm sorry but do you want two drama queens to steady the ranks if things start going udders up?

Cracking win for Sale (34-13 Connacht) Ashton scoring hat trick, on form he is an awesome player, so sad that his temperament let's him down at times.

Excellent win for Edinburgh against Toulon, Cockerill has done a really good job since taking over as coach and brough a bit of steel to the side.

Well that was an exiting >8 mins over the 80 mins in the Newcastle game against Montpelier I was sure the Falcons were going to cock it up but no they managed a win v impressive.
Not long back from Kingston Park and thought we had thrown away all the first half effort at the end. Really key bank of games coming up and glad I have my tickets booked for Murrayfield

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Interesting article in The Times today by Owen Slot suggesting that the new structure agreed for the English domestic game puts the future of the British and Irish Lions at risk.

Who owns/runs the Lions? Is is a co-operative of the four home unions? Or is it some other organisation? Reading the article in the Times has brought home to me that I have never known the answer to that question and, for that matter, that question has never occurred to me.

It strikes me that the Lions are such an iconic brand that those who own it would be unwilling to ditch it. But if England make it impossible for their players to play for them...?

Maybe pull in France as per the Ryder Cup in Golf and make it the “European Lions”? I’d hate that!

But certainly in these days of competing commercial interests, plus greater physical commitment required by players (and risks to their bodies) something might have to give.

Slot says he’d prefer English players to be limited to 25 games per season, but that if you’re reducing the number of games an international takes part in, it means fewer games for his club, which is less of a sell to ticket buyers and less of a draw to tv viewers. Thus income goes down and the clubs will be unable to afford the players in the first place.

He suggests that these are impossible relationships and that to make professional rugby work we all need each other. The trouble is, he concludes, we all need each other a bit too much.

Slot says he’d prefer English players to be limited to 25 games per season, but that if you’re reducing the number of games an international takes part in, it means fewer games for his club, which is less of a sell to ticket buyers and less of a draw to tv viewers. Thus income goes down and the clubs will be unable to afford the players in the first place.

He suggests that these are impossible relationships and that to make professional rugby work we all need each other. The trouble is, he concludes, we all need each other a bit too much.
100%
Too much rugby = too many pro clubs = too many players dispersed across the leagues.
We saw this in Super Rugby, where Australia (1) and SA (2) had to shed teams as the competition was becoming too unwieldy, and the quality of the 'product' suffered.
But what is the solution? Do the big clubs then have a pool of 20+ internationals and rotate them to meet a maximum quota of how many games played by each? How would that effect the 'technical' front rowers?

It reminds me of the Sevens game where Isoa Damudamu showboated by slowing down, kissing the ball and then reaching to ground the ba...... wtf!!
...the picture quality is so poor you'd think this clip was from the 1950s....
Damudamu was playing for us at Newbury at the time.....when he could be bothered to turn up..
Yep, good one, but I thought the laws state you can't kick the ball out of someone's hand?

Similar article in the Telegraph by Mick Cleary, a lot of conflicting interests. I agree with CaptR, there is too much rugby. I would ditch the autumn internationals, which to me have never counted for anything but I am aware that for some unions they are vital revenue. I would also ditch the Anglo-Welsh Cup, or whatever it’s called now

Similar article in the Telegraph by Mick Cleary, a lot of conflicting interests. I agree with CaptR, there is too much rugby. I would ditch the autumn internationals, which to me have never counted for anything but I am aware that for some unions they are vital revenue. I would also ditch the Anglo-Welsh Cup, or whatever it’s called now
A-W has been dropped with the withdrawal of Welsh teams and is now the Premier Rugby Cup

I would ditch the autumn internationals, which to me have never counted for anything but I am aware that for some unions they are vital revenue. I would also ditch the Anglo-Welsh Cup, or whatever it’s called now
A better solution would be to have your 'big sides' - or even representative sides - play midweekers against the tourists, as it used to be.
So, for example, Saffers play first against Gloucester, then England, then Toulon, then the Frogs, then the Scarlets, then Wales etc etc
With Fiji, Argies, Tonga, Saffers, Japan, Oz and the All Blacks all in Europe, there'd be great scope for stadium-filling Wednesday 'dirt-tracker' games, against national A-sides, or maybe Bath/Exeter/Bristol-type combinations?

Interesting article in The Times today by Owen Slot suggesting that the new structure agreed for the English domestic game puts the future of the British and Irish Lions at risk.

Who owns/runs the Lions? Is is a co-operative of the four home unions? Or is it some other organisation? Reading the article in the Times has brought home to me that I have never known the answer to that question and, for that matter, that question has never occurred to me.

It strikes me that the Lions are such an iconic brand that those who own it would be unwilling to ditch it. But if England make it impossible for their players to play for them...?

Maybe pull in France as per the Ryder Cup in Golf and make it the “European Lions”? I’d hate that!

But certainly in these days of competing commercial interests, plus greater physical commitment required by players (and risks to their bodies) something might have to give.
Re the lions

Tours and management are organised by a joint effort of the four Home Nation (Eng, Sco, Wal, Ire) governing bodies (RFU, SRU, WRU, IRU).