• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

Rugby Union

Excellent 2nd half performance by Glasgow yesterday. After being a bit loose and sloppy in the first, and being down at the break, a comprehensive victory at the end.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Who needs professional rugby when you can spend the afternoon watching Inverness Craig Dunain Women take on Stornoway Women.

Amateur rugby at its finest.

England's training squad for the November internationals:

Forwards: (20) Tom Curry (Sale Sharks), Jamie George (Saracens), Dylan Hartley (Northampton Saints), Nathan Hughes (Wasps), Nick Isiekwe (Saracens), Maro Itoje (Saracens), George Kruis (Saracens), Joe Launchbury (Wasps), Courtney Lawes (Northampton Saints), Joe Marler (Harlequins), Zach Mercer (Bath Rugby), Michael Rhodes (Saracens), Chris Robshaw (Harlequins), Nick Schonert (Worcester Warriors), Brad Shields (Wasps), Kyle Sinckler (Harlequins), Billy Vunipola (Saracens), Mako Vunipola (Saracens), Harry Williams (Exeter Chiefs), Mark Wilson (Newcastle Falcons).

Backs: (16) Chris Ashton (Sale Sharks), Mike Brown (Harlequins), Danny Care (Harlequins), Joe Cokanasiga (Bath Rugby), Elliot Daly (Wasps), Nathan Earle (Harlequins), Owen Farrell (Saracens), George Ford (Leicester Tigers), Alex Lozowski (Saracens), Jonny May (Leicester Tigers), Jack Nowell (Exeter Chiefs), Dan Robson (Wasps), Henry Slade (Exeter Chiefs), Ben Te’o (Worcester Warriors), Manu Tuilagi (Leicester Tigers), Ben Youngs (Leicester Tigers).

Another mixed game from Wasps. Too many penalties conceded and iffy defence, at one point entirely out of position. Gutsy second half from Leicester, a man down
The red card was ridiculous and the four week ban compounded it. Ian Tempest is a lousy referee. He ruined the game the week before. Out of his depth.
The tackle was nothing. The one that St George of Bristol had rescinded was far worse. The game is being emasculated

I agree and enjoyed it game. I am going down to see them in November, should be a good day.
Enjoy it, from what I can see they have gone to lengths to make it a good day out. I have not yet been to see them at the Ricoh, although I would like to. I need to combine it with something to make the travel back to UK worth while

The red card was ridiculous and the four week ban compounded it. Ian Tempest is a lousy referee. He ruined the game the week before. Out of his depth.
The tackle was nothing. The one that St George of Bristol had rescinded was far worse. The game is being emasculated
Disagree on the Red Card. There have been too many head clashes as a result of high tackling. On the ban, I thought what Dai said post match was right but the panel may be working to guidance

Forwards: (20) Tom Curry (Sale Sharks), Jamie George (Saracens), Dylan Hartley (Northampton Saints), Nathan Hughes (Wasps), Nick Isiekwe (Saracens), Maro Itoje (Saracens), George Kruis (Saracens), Joe Launchbury (Wasps), Courtney Lawes (Northampton Saints), Joe Marler (Harlequins), Zach Mercer (Bath Rugby), Michael Rhodes (Saracens), Chris Robshaw (Harlequins), Nick Schonert (Worcester Warriors), Brad Shields (Wasps), Kyle Sinckler (Harlequins), Billy Vunipola (Saracens), Mako Vunipola (Saracens), Harry Williams (Exeter Chiefs), Mark Wilson (Newcastle Falcons).

Backs: (16) Chris Ashton (Sale Sharks), Mike Brown (Harlequins), Danny Care (Harlequins), Joe Cokanasiga (Bath Rugby), Elliot Daly (Wasps), Nathan Earle (Harlequins), Owen Farrell (Saracens), George Ford (Leicester Tigers), Alex Lozowski (Saracens), Jonny May (Leicester Tigers), Jack Nowell (Exeter Chiefs), Dan Robson (Wasps), Henry Slade (Exeter Chiefs), Ben Te’o (Worcester Warriors), Manu Tuilagi (Leicester Tigers), Ben Youngs (Leicester Tigers).
No Don Armand or the child-prodigy Marcus Smith.

Particularly with stats like this!

'It was a staggering win for the Boks. They had a quarter of possession. Made 226 tackles compared to New Zealand’s 46. Completed 61 passes to 234. Conceded 10 penalties to three. Everything but the final score went against them.'

Proof All Blacks fans are spoiled
Proof that there is only one stat that matters, the scoreboard. My NZ cousin's comments was "A brilliant match to watch and it's made the championship far more interesting". I think it is fair to say the Kiwi's threw the game away with careless passes.

One of those little co-incidences of life that the Squad member who shares my name plays in the same position as I did. I just hope he's a bit better than I was.

One of those little co-incidences of life that the Squad member who shares my name plays in the same position as I did. I just hope he's a bit better than I was.
Back when a try was worth three points, eh?

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
The award of the red card was reinforced by the independent disciplinary committee with the 4 week ban showing it was the correct call.

The Laws of the games have always been adjusted with every season, to protect players, even 30 years ago a shoulder to the head would still have been penalised or are you saying that players should be allowed to target the head? Would that make it masculine enough for you?

"Panel chair Euan Ambrose said: "The panel found on the balance of probabilities that this was a reckless tackle that resulted in direct, forceful contact to the head of Tommy Taylor.

"The panel rejected the player's evidence that any contact with the opposition player had been limited to the top of his shoulder with no contact being made to his head."

He added that the mid-range sanction took into account Spencer's "previous clear record, his conduct both at the hearing and his acceptance of the on-field decision and his off-field references"."

The award of the red card was reinforced by the independent disciplinary committee with the 4 week ban showing it was the correct call.

The Laws of the games have always been adjusted with every season, to protect players, even 30 years ago a shoulder to the head would still have been penalised or are you saying that players should be allowed to target the head? Would that make it masculine enough for you?

"Panel chair Euan Ambrose said: "The panel found on the balance of probabilities that this was a reckless tackle that resulted in direct, forceful contact to the head of Tommy Taylor.

"The panel rejected the player's evidence that any contact with the opposition player had been limited to the top of his shoulder with no contact being made to his head."

He added that the mid-range sanction took into account Spencer's "previous clear record, his conduct both at the hearing and his acceptance of the on-field decision and his off-field references"."
he didn’t eat all the biscuits?

I read somewhere that the lower divisions in England were trialling a change to the high tackle limit - to the level of the armpit? Am I dreaming it/anyone got any reports?

I read somewhere that the lower divisions in England were trialling a change to the high tackle limit - to the level of the armpit? Am I dreaming it/anyone got any reports?
Nipple.
They trialled it at the World U-20s.

World Rugby trial a lower tackle height at U20 competitions

Though I'm sure Fang Farrier will have something to say about that...

I have some more stuff in the office, will try to find it later.