Rugby Union

Delighted to say I passed my Level 2 Coaching course at the weekend. Fairly hard work for a fat old knacker like me, being coached for three + hours a day in this heat - by the end of the course we were playing walking Rugby!

A wit on FB has said I should send a CV to Irish. I surely couldn't be any worse than what went before ;)

A wit on FB has said I should send a CV to Irish.
There could be an England job going if the Autumn doesn't turn out well!
Congratulations anyway.

There could be an England job going if the Autumn doesn't turn out well!
Congratulations anyway.
Congratulations on passing the course, and I hope it brings you much enjoyment from coaching
Cheers, both. I've been coaching properly for five years, U8-U12 but now it starts getting a bit more serious. I had originally been going down the referee route, did the ELRA & joined a Referee Society but family life got in the way. After a year I decided I should do a bit more than just Rugby Ready, so took my Level 1 qualification & have been running through the relevant RFU CPDs as well as going on CARDS seminars.

If I'm coaching MasterPlume it becomes a family thing as MrsPlume also involved as the squad's unofficial photographer. She also likes coming to the Club to gossip, & for a guaranteed bacon roll every Sunday...

Cheers, both. I've been coaching properly for five years, U8-U12 but now it starts getting a bit more serious. I had originally been going down the referee route, did the ELRA & joined a Referee Society but family life got in the way. After a year I decided I should do a bit more than just Rugby Ready, so took my Level 1 qualification & have been running through the relevant RFU CPDs as well as going on CARDS seminars.

If I'm coaching MasterPlume it becomes a family thing as MrsPlume also involved as the squad's unofficial photographer. She also likes coming to the Club to gossip, & for a guaranteed bacon roll every Sunday...[/QUOTE

Well done CP and all the best for you

Well done CP and all the best for you
Thanks very much! Won't be rushing to try & get on Level 3, but the new suite of CPDs has some good options.

You saw the light but turned unto the path of darkness. [Only joking!]
At least having done ELRA and been a Society member I can talk the talk & walk the walk at mini fixtures. Seems to me 90% of refereeing is confidence!

At least having done ELRA and been a Society member I can talk the talk & walk the walk at mini fixtures. Seems to me 90% of refereeing is confidence!
I'd say 50% is being in the right place looking in the right direction [so you see what matters] and 50% is knowing the rules [so you know what to do about what you see]. Hopefully your brief sojourn amongst the righteous will avoid you being one of those coaches who just spends the game trying to coach the ref.

I have to agree with that, be in the right position and be confident in your decision making. I always went with you see something, make the decision - your instinct is normally correct - and carry on, and don't be scared to admit to making a mistake, it happens .

I remember I was running touch - TMO's had not long come in - at a Glasgow game and there was a touch down in the corner, there was a touch of the line with the boot I put the flag up . It went upstairs and touch was given. At half time the TMO cam into the changing room and said to me "You jammy bastard, there was a split second between touch and a try and you got it right"

Watching the round ball game, I've often wondered why the don't use rugby's 10m rule.
Argue with me? Ok, 10 m closer to the goal.

I recall when it first came out, it took about 6 months for the implications to sink in amongst the players.
How often do we see it applied these days?

Luckily no TMOs in the mini game, although MrsPlume's photos can act the same way after the event. We haven't set up a citing commission, but one team with some particularly bad offenders for high tackles (who were getting away with it with their referees) were sent a little dossier...

Generally people are glad not to be the one in the middle with the whistle, although as the boys are getting bigger I have noticed both they and their families are becoming a little more vocal. I have once sent a spectator off*, but normally have no issue.

*He was gobbing off so I called over the coach from his Club and gave three options. The gentleman pipes down, goes for a walk, or I stop the game. A short walk followed by piping down & an enjoyable remainder of the fixture ensued...

Watching the round ball game, I've often wondered why the don't use rugby's 10m rule.
Argue with me? Ok, 10 m closer to the goal.

I recall when it first came out, it took about 6 months for the implications to sink in amongst the players.
How often do we see it applied these days?
Not often enough, I was watching a game a week or so ago, penalty to team A, team B player hangs on to the ball, then when Ref clearly 'has a word' throws it at a team A player and hits him in the face. Ref clearly see's this, his response, nothing, I'd have been 20 yards up the field and warned him he gets a yellow for doing it again and some my fellow officials call me a softie.