Rugby Union

Must just be lucky for us then as not heard any major gripe about any of the refs in the 3 Scotland games.

All 3 have produced a lot of enjoyable rugby to watch.

But then again I can't really remember a match at any level when you haven't complained about the ref!
Nor for the Wales games, even though they had to run Peyper over last week when he got in the way.

Scotland games been on the telly ?
Seriously, you’ve not heard anything bad about the reffing ?
The first two AB games were all over the press.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Nor for the Wales games, even though they had to run Peyper over last week when he got in the way.
French ref speaking English to us and Spanish to the Pumas. Fairly impressive.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Scotland games been on the telly ?
Seriously, you’ve not heard anything bad about the reffing ?
The first two AB games were all over the press.
Read what I said, we had no complaints. Neither have Wales.

First 2 Scottish games on BBC and the Pumas is on Ch4.
So free to view rather than trying to cash in on the series.

Great result for Scotland.
The JAGUARES have impressed me this season of Super, so why can't the national side produce?
Probably some strange Dago politics involved.

Just got home after a very very liquid evening with a bunch of England supporters straight back from Newlands.
Not a spectacle, but nice to see the result.
Boost for EJ, back to the drawing board for Erasmus.

Good win led by Stu the pilot, Pumas were dire in the first half and we ran in some good tries, they came into it more in the second, after what must have been a right bollocking at half time and looked so much better. Even though it was a poor Argies performance you still have to score the tries, which we did. The inexperience showed in the second half when more experienced international teams would continue to dominate and kill them off.

It has been a mixed bag of a tour but the important thing is we took a lot of newbies and broke them in, that’s how you use a summer tour to develop a squad with depth. Hastings Jnr is a very inexperienced player and with Finn away to Racing should get a lot more time on the pitch next season. The defeat to USA aside, they were at nearly full strength whereas we had 14 players in the 23 with 10 or less caps and 2 making their debut and deserved their win, it has been a successful tour.

No complaints from me about the referees we have had, Shuhei Kubo had a good game against Canada, Wayne Barnes was his usual self against USA and Mathieu Raynal was good too.

I can't comment on the other games as I don't contribute to Sky's pockets and never saw them

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Good win led by Stu the pilot, Pumas were dire in the first half and we ran in some good tries, they came into it more in the second, after what must have been a right bollocking at half time and looked so much better. Even though it was a poor Argies performance you still have to score the tries, which we did. The inexperience showed in the second half when more experienced international teams would continue to dominate and kill them off.

It has been a mixed bag of a tour but the important thing is we took a lot of newbies and broke them in, that’s how you use a summer tour to develop a squad with depth. Hastings Jnr is a very inexperienced player and with Finn away to Racing should get a lot more time on the pitch next season. The defeat to USA aside, they were at nearly full strength whereas we had 14 players in the 23 with 10 or less caps and 2 making their debut and deserved their win, it has been a successful tour.

No complaints from me about the referees we have had, Shuhei Kubo had a good game against Canada, Wayne Barnes was his usual self against USA and Mathieu Raynal was good too.

I can't comment on the other games as I don't contribute to Sky's pockets and never saw them
I think the Argies put the wrong team on from the start. The replacements changed the game dramatically. It was very good to see Scotland deal with the changes though.

Boost for EJ, back to the drawing board for Erasmus.
Erasmus, knowing he'd won the series, put on several second stringers. I don't think he'll be much bothered it just confirms his first choice 15 are his best 15.
The big plus I took away from this game was that Curry played a bit more like a real 7. He's not the real deal but he's going in the right direction. Otherwise from the series Brown is looking his age, Slade is a nonentity in attack and not that secure in defence, the Vinapolas are more trouble than they're worth. Farrell seems to have learned to keep his mouth shut a bit more in game 3 but he doesn't strike me as real captain material not least because he is going to wind refs up in all the wrong ways.
What we all have to do now is watch the Southern championship. If Australia give New Zealand and SA a game then Ireland are well set for the World Cup. If SA can play the way they did in the first two games against us when up against the Kiwis then even England aren't in that bad shape. If however the Blacks do unto them as they did unto France we're all scrabbling for second place.

No complaints from me about the referees we have had, ....

England/SA were all sound. It could be argued France were shafted in all three games. My Kiwi cousin thinks so. I'm not so convinced it made much difference in games 1 and 3. France played well for some of the game, but around 50 minutes either they run out of steam or the Kiwis go, OK time to really start playing.
It's also worth noting that the world's best second row and a star winger from the world cup weren't in the NZ team due to injury, they played nearly half the series with their second choice No. 10 and the last game with a mix of their second and mainly third choice No. 7.

England/SA were all sound. It could be argued France were shafted in all three games. My Kiwi cousin thinks so. I'm not so convinced it made much difference in games 1 and 3. France played well for some of the game, but around 50 minutes either they run out of steam or the Kiwis go, OK time to really start playing.
It's also worth noting that the world's best second row and a star winger from the world cup weren't in the NZ team due to injury, they played nearly half the series with their second choice No. 10 and the last game with a mix of their second and mainly third choice No. 7.

I have been watching a behind the scenes series on Amazon, All or Nothing: New Zealand All Blacks, from the Lions tour and Rugby Championships, getting onto the heads of coaches, players and into the dressing rooms, with the ups and downs within the squad, very interesting it is.

Erasmus, knowing he'd won the series, put on several second stringers. I don't think he'll be much bothered it just confirms his first choice 15 are his best 15.
Oh yessss.... and he can turn round now and say 'Hey, we played x, y and Z against Wales and in the third test, and they didn't measure up....'
Jantjies? Clown with a clownish haircut.
Unfortunately he has cult status (yes, I know...), and has been found out.

An England win!!!

Not the best game in the world to watch, but England played well and kept the penalty count low. Marhler showed Mako V how to scrummage and a bit of magic from Danny Cipriani showed EJ what most of us already knew, I.E. George Ford is not the best No. 10 in England!

Ice baths all round followed by a few beers and a holiday, then we'll see where we are in the Autumn.

The impi sliding into the stadium on his arse after losing his footing on the wet grass was a portent of things to come. His mates paid no attention to his entrance and followed him out doing the same thing, only to go arse over tit themselves. Bloody lucky no one got a spear in the leg.

The impi sliding into the stadium on his arse after losing his footing on the wet grass was a portent of things to come. His mates paid no attention to his entrance and followed him out doing the same thing, only to go arse over tit themselves. Bloody lucky no one got a spear in the leg.
If only it had rained at Isandlwana!

Main thing is we are off the losing streak. Conditions were pretty awful, so difficult to draw many conclusions; concur with what has already been said. Set scrum much better, somewhat worried by the 3 lost line outs. Daly should be playing centre
Daly in his best position of 13 since about 16 years old (saw him dominate a school final from there about 10 years back) - too straightforward for 'Clever' Eddie

Last edited:
The big plus I took away from this game was that Curry played a bit more like a real 7. He's not the real deal but he's going in the right direction. Otherwise from the series Brown is looking his age, Slade is a nonentity in attack and not that secure in defence, the Vinapolas are more trouble than they're worth. Farrell seems to have learned to keep his mouth shut a bit more in game 3 but he doesn't strike me as real captain material not least because he is going to wind refs up in all the wrong ways.
What we all have to do now is watch the Southern championship. If Australia give New Zealand and SA a game then Ireland are well set for the World Cup. If SA can play the way they did in the first two games against us when up against the Kiwis then even England aren't in that bad shape. If however the Blacks do unto them as they did unto France we're all scrabbling for second place.
Someone else who reckons the fat Tongans are overrated - thank goodness