Rugby Union referees

I am just going through my ELRA and am down to ref my first full match in a few weeks. I have had all the basic advice, but are there any good tips?

Make sure you speak to the players before hand, admit if you make a mistake, dont whistle for the sake of it and try and let the game flow as much as you can.

And enjoy it.

First, I believe a referee needs to have a passion for the game and a desire to see the game through to a successful conclusion.

Man-management is a key skill of being a referee. You must also ensure that players and coaches on either side are dealt with fairly, so that the game can run smoothly.

It is important to be fit and to be in the position to see the first offence rather than susequent offences.

You must be able to concentrate and focus for the duration of a match.

In order to make effective and correct decisions, a good referee has to have a good level of knowledge of the laws of the game, but more importantly an ability to apply them on the field of play.

Perhaps the most important skill or attribute is one of strength of character, having broad shoulders and sometimes making a critical decision that some people may not like.

Above all enjoy it

Pob02

War Hero
Book Reviewer
First, I believe a referee needs to have a passion for the game and a desire to see the game through to a successful conclusion.

Man-management is a key skill of being a referee. You must also ensure that players and coaches on either side are dealt with fairly, so that the game can run smoothly.

It is important to be fit and to be in the position to see the first offence rather than susequent offences.

You must be able to concentrate and focus for the duration of a match.

In order to make effective and correct decisions, a good referee has to have a good level of knowledge of the rules of the game, but more importantly an ability to apply them on the field of play.
Perhaps the most important skill or attribute is one of strength of character, having broad shoulders and sometimes making a critical decision that some people may not like.

Above all enjoy it
and consistency

In the scrum make sure the front rows go in straight and square to keep things nice and safe, and keep an eye on the bindings. Try to keep up with play (no more than 3 players between you and the ball if poss). If all else fails remember to ping the flankers. They're used to it, and if they're not involved in some sort of skull-duggery, they are almost certainly plotting something so ping them for that. Oh and what Pob02 says, be consistent, at least that way everyone knows where they stand.

Enjoy yourself! Too many Ref's go on the park and come across as dictatorial which immediately puts barriers up between them and the players. Have a smile on your face, talk (but don't coach!) to the lads. Don't worry if you make a bad call, everyone does. Don't try to even things off, just stay consistent and do what you think is right (which may not necessarily be the easiest option!)
Good luck

Pob02

War Hero
Book Reviewer
IOh and what Pob02 says, be consistent, at least that way everyone knows where they stand.
If only more referees agreed with me .. . . . .

Tell them why you've blown your whistle, stick to your guns, and above all remain consistent. Don't worry too much about the laws it's really about man management at the level you'll be working at, and if in doubt award a scrum.

As mentioned don't ever be tempted to even things up it will always end in tears (yours).

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
And remember the cardinal rule...... there are 30 cheats out there!!! :)

Pob02

War Hero
Book Reviewer
It isn't cheating. It is being economical with the laws . . . . .

P

PrinceAlbert

You could buck the trend as a ref and blow-up when the ball is fed straight to the 2nd row of the scrum......

You could buck the trend as a ref and blow-up when the ball is fed straight to the 2nd row of the scrum......
Bloody hell I thought that was my job when I played 2nd row , acting as a second hooker :) Now the clever scrum half appeares to puts it in straight but make sure the ball bounces on its end, ricocheting back to us in the engine house of the scrum! After all the front row are too busy biting each others ears & gouging eyes arn't they :)

Try and ignore the snide comments from the crowd, players and coaches - you will never get it right for both sides.

If things start getting out of hand (stuff off the ball or a general mess around the rucks and mauls) but nothing specific has happened to blow up, then blow up anyway and award a scrum to the team going forwards...slows things down and gives the players chance to stop being idiots.

Always stick to your guns, and try to explain why you have penalised also a little advise to the captain and/or player along the lines of 'I know what you are doing and I'm watching for it' can sort things out early in the match.

Try and enjoy it. I had a good few years of reffing club matches in the valleys, but eventually a mix of injury and general abuse meant I stopped.

S_R

If I blew up for a crooked feed the game would be 80 minutes of scrummaging and the backs would freeze to death! Mind you as a ex-hooker the idea has merit..

At least 15 players are going to be unhappy with EVERY decision you make ! Get used to it. Ignore the crowd, most don't have a clue and those who do will shout you're wrong if it's against their side even if they know you are right.

Only allow the team captains and pack leaders to talk to you or you'll have 30 assistant refs ........

Police the scrum and award penalties early on to show who's boss (but only if necessary). Call CTPE quickly and evenly spaced. This isn't a block start to a 100m sprint. Check for bindings. Feed should be reasonably straight. Don't allow the back rows to disengage and still hang about waiting to pummel the SH. Any collapses - blow quickly to avoid injuries and make your decision after.

Know your stuff on the breakdown laws or suffer ........ it'll be more like cage rage than rugby !

Be hot on defensive teams offside early on.

I use the hand up method to signal when a lineout is over.(pulling it down when it's over). Not everyone does.

Be careful with your timekeeping. Several times i've stopped the clock and then forgotten to put my countdown timer back on !! Make a note of the time the game starts on your notebook.

Don't get flustered if you muck up a bit. Without you there would be no game. Also, if there were no mistakes made by the players, there'd be no game. No lineouts, scrums, penalties etc. They don't expect themselves to be perfect and don't normally give their mates a hard time when they do make errors so why should they expect you to be perfect all the time ?

Make sure you have a beer in the bar afterwards and get all your feedback then. There's a lot of whiley old foxes in seconds and thirds and vets and their input is always welcome and it gives you a chance to justify why you did something or admit you made an error. Also puts a human face on the ref as no-one likes a stuck up erf. They should be ref'ed by someone who loves the game rather than some twat who likes to boss people around.

Try to enjoy your first game. Easier said than done. I couldn't wait for my first game to be over - and that was after the first 5 mins !! But by the end, I was loving it.

Good luck mucker & welcome to the club !
D_B

Try and ignore the snide comments from the crowd, players and coaches - you will never get it right for both sides.

If things start getting out of hand (stuff off the ball or a general mess around the rucks and mauls) but nothing specific has happened to blow up, then blow up anyway and award a scrum to the team going forwards...slows things down and gives the players chance to stop being idiots.

Always stick to your guns, and try to explain why you have penalised also a little advise to the captain and/or player along the lines of 'I know what you are doing and I'm watching for it' can sort things out early in the match.

Try and enjoy it. I had a good few years of reffing club matches in the valleys, but eventually a mix of injury and general abuse meant I stopped.

S_R
Hmm know what you mean, there used to be one club in the Rhonda where if a visiting winger looked as if he was going to score one of the crowd or the linesman would trip him before he reached the line!!