Rugby Union referees

Discussion in 'Sports, Adventure Training and Events' started by green_slime, Jan 11, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I am just going through my ELRA and am down to ref my first full match in a few weeks. I have had all the basic advice, but are there any good tips?
  2. Make sure you speak to the players before hand, admit if you make a mistake, dont whistle for the sake of it and try and let the game flow as much as you can.

And enjoy it.
  3. First, I believe a referee needs to have a passion for the game and a desire to see the game through to a successful conclusion.

Man-management is a key skill of being a referee. You must also ensure that players and coaches on either side are dealt with fairly, so that the game can run smoothly.

It is important to be fit and to be in the position to see the first offence rather than susequent offences.

You must be able to concentrate and focus for the duration of a match.

In order to make effective and correct decisions, a good referee has to have a good level of knowledge of the laws of the game, but more importantly an ability to apply them on the field of play.

Perhaps the most important skill or attribute is one of strength of character, having broad shoulders and sometimes making a critical decision that some people may not like.

Above all enjoy it
  4. Pob02

Pob02 War Hero Book Reviewer

and consistency
  5. In the scrum make sure the front rows go in straight and square to keep things nice and safe, and keep an eye on the bindings. Try to keep up with play (no more than 3 players between you and the ball if poss). If all else fails remember to ping the flankers. They're used to it, and if they're not involved in some sort of skull-duggery, they are almost certainly plotting something so ping them for that. Oh and what Pob02 says, be consistent, at least that way everyone knows where they stand.
  6. Enjoy yourself! Too many Ref's go on the park and come across as dictatorial which immediately puts barriers up between them and the players. Have a smile on your face, talk (but don't coach!) to the lads. Don't worry if you make a bad call, everyone does. Don't try to even things off, just stay consistent and do what you think is right (which may not necessarily be the easiest option!)
    Good luck
  7. Pob02

If only more referees agreed with me .. . . . .
  8. Tell them why you've blown your whistle, stick to your guns, and above all remain consistent. Don't worry too much about the laws it's really about man management at the level you'll be working at, and if in doubt award a scrum.

As mentioned don't ever be tempted to even things up it will always end in tears (yours).
  9. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

And remember the cardinal rule...... there are 30 cheats out there!!! :)
  10. Pob02

It isn't cheating. It is being economical with the laws . . . . .
  11. You could buck the trend as a ref and blow-up when the ball is fed straight to the 2nd row of the scrum......
  12. It's only cheating if you get caught
  13. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

I rest my case :) (Bloody heavy case it is too.)
  14. Bloody hell I thought that was my job when I played 2nd row , acting as a second hooker :) Now the clever scrum half appeares to puts it in straight but make sure the ball bounces on its end, ricocheting back to us in the engine house of the scrum! After all the front row are too busy biting each others ears & gouging eyes arn't they :)
  15. Sympathetic_Reaction

Sympathetic_Reaction LE Book Reviewer

Try and ignore the snide comments from the crowd, players and coaches - you will never get it right for both sides.

If things start getting out of hand (stuff off the ball or a general mess around the rucks and mauls) but nothing specific has happened to blow up, then blow up anyway and award a scrum to the team going forwards...slows things down and gives the players chance to stop being idiots.

Always stick to your guns, and try to explain why you have penalised also a little advise to the captain and/or player along the lines of 'I know what you are doing and I'm watching for it' can sort things out early in the match.

Try and enjoy it. I had a good few years of reffing club matches in the valleys, but eventually a mix of injury and general abuse meant I stopped.