RUGBY UNION EXPERIMENTAL LAW VARIATIONs

Discussion in 'Sports, Adventure Training and Events' started by Outstanding, Oct 7, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. How are you finding the introduction of ELVs?

Makes the lineout very reduced in scope?

2. It depends how you play them. I like quite a few and looking at some of the trinations they work. Not sure about the maul coming down though. Otherwise if it opens play a bit I think they will be a positive.

Don't forget kicking for touch from the 22 was an ELV 30 or so years ago!

3. Sympathetic_Reaction

Sympathetic_Reaction LE Book Reviewer

I've ref'd 3 matches so far this season with mixed results. I'm finding in general the following:

Scrum 5m offside line is hard to police as everyone creeps forwards.
    Any numbers in the lineout isn't being used.
    Collapsing the maul is also not being used.
    Haven't had a pass back into the 22m and kickout yet.
    Lifting in the lineout just means people are doing what they always did do, just not getting penalised for it.

In general I don't think they have been taken on at the level I ref at, but I wait to see what the rest of the season brings.

S_R

4. I think all the ELVs are for the better. A lot of pre-season training was dominated by quick offloads in contact. I think a lot of clubs have taken the ELVs on board, and have just excluded the maul from the playbook.

I'm still not convinced on the law from a safety perspective. I think it's just asking for trouble to be honest.

5. Sympathetic_Reaction

Sympathetic_Reaction LE Book Reviewer

The maul ELV is the only one I specifically mention in my team chats before matches, luckily as I said i haven't seen anyone try to bring one down safely or otherwise.

S_R

6. Remember that the non throwing in team MUST have a player standing in the 5m gap between touch line and the front of the line out. That player MUST be at least 2 metres from the lineout and cannot advance any closer until the ball leaves the thowers hands. Equally the receivers MUST stand 2 metres from the lineout and may not move until the ball is thrown in. Finally players cannot move around / chop and change or "dance" around until the ball is thrown.