RUGBY UNION EXPERIMENTAL LAW VARIATIONs

It depends how you play them. I like quite a few and looking at some of the trinations they work. Not sure about the maul coming down though. Otherwise if it opens play a bit I think they will be a positive.

Don't forget kicking for touch from the 22 was an ELV 30 or so years ago!

I've ref'd 3 matches so far this season with mixed results. I'm finding in general the following:

Scrum 5m offside line is hard to police as everyone creeps forwards.
Any numbers in the lineout isn't being used.
Collapsing the maul is also not being used.
Haven't had a pass back into the 22m and kickout yet.
Lifting in the lineout just means people are doing what they always did do, just not getting penalised for it.

In general I don't think they have been taken on at the level I ref at, but I wait to see what the rest of the season brings.

S_R

I think all the ELVs are for the better. A lot of pre-season training was dominated by quick offloads in contact. I think a lot of clubs have taken the ELVs on board, and have just excluded the maul from the playbook.

I'm still not convinced on the law from a safety perspective. I think it's just asking for trouble to be honest.

TaffYorkie said:
I think all the ELVs are for the better. A lot of pre-season training was dominated by quick offloads in contact. I think a lot of clubs have taken the ELVs on board, and have just excluded the maul from the playbook.

I'm still not convinced on the law from a safety perspective. I think it's just asking for trouble to be honest.
The maul ELV is the only one I specifically mention in my team chats before matches, luckily as I said i haven't seen anyone try to bring one down safely or otherwise.

S_R

Remember that the non throwing in team MUST have a player standing in the 5m gap between touch line and the front of the line out. That player MUST be at least 2 metres from the lineout and cannot advance any closer until the ball leaves the thowers hands. Equally the receivers MUST stand 2 metres from the lineout and may not move until the ball is thrown in. Finally players cannot move around / chop and change or "dance" around until the ball is thrown.