Rugby Union 6 Nations 2021

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Which professionals do you mean?

Oh you mean the England team that were all huddled together under the posts facing the other way and listening to their captain? Those ones?

FFS - you're not Welsh by any chance are you? :rolleyes:

They were all facing away from the opposition?

I think I might have spotted the problem then!

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Maybe because they were listening to their captain, aware that the ref wouldn’t restart the game until the defence was reset. Like it should be.

The game restarts when the ref says time on.

Stibbon

Old-Salt
They were all facing away from the opposition?

I think I might have spotted the problem then!

Like I said, it was a cluster in more ways than one. Still shouldn't have been allowed though...

Stibbon

Old-Salt
The game restarts when the ref says time on.

Yes, and ref (normally) says "time on" when he can see both sets of players are ready.

It's clear the ref got it wrong. FFS he's even admitted it himself!!

Based on where the penalty was situated and the score at the time, he obviously assumed Biggar was going to place the ball for a kick at goal, which is what would normally have happened, so he blew his whistle. It's not rocket science to be honest ...

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Like I said, it was a cluster in more ways than one. Still shouldn't have been allowed though...

Am not saying it should have been either but these were professional internationals who left themselves exposed

Stibbon

Old-Salt
Am not saying it should have been either but these were professional internationals who left themselves exposed

We'll just have to agree to disagree on that one mate. ;) :)

I don't think we will ever see tries like the wonderful Baba's try against the All Blacks again much the pity and sadly the game I knew is no more!
Classic try it may seem when viewed through spectacles smeared with pre-match horse liniment and the juice from the bucket full of half-time oranges, but I think the crap quality of the video hides the fact that the game you knew back then included the one-armed overhand lineout to a group of fellas who struggled to jump a few inches off the ground, won the ball by the ever frequent Wade Dooley style fist-swinging wallop, wore sharpened studs for a nice bit of tap dancing on the opposition.... and as for the near decapitation of JPR around the 21 second mark and then another decapitation attempt on him at the 46 second mark I'm thinking that the game has moved on in a positive way in many respects...

As for the sneaky quick penalty tactics, one I haven't seen for a while which was naughty but funny at the time was when a penalty was awarded and the captain saunters casually up to the ref, points to the posts and says to the ref "I'm not going for the posts..." opposition players only see the posts getting pointed to so turn away... which is perfect for a quick tap and pass out and run in for a try... cue lots of unhappy players asking why he was allowed to get away with that as he pointed to the posts....

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Classic try it may seem when viewed through spectacles smeared with pre-match horse liniment and the juice from the bucket full of half-time oranges, but I think the crap quality of the video hides the fact that the game you knew back then included the one-armed overhand lineout to a group of fellas who struggled to jump a few inches off the ground, won the ball by the ever frequent Wade Dooley style fist-swinging wallop, wore sharpened studs for a nice bit of tap dancing on the opposition.... and as for the near decapitation of JPR around the 21 second mark and then another decapitation attempt on him at the 46 second mark I'm thinking that the game has moved on in a positive way in many respects...

As for the sneaky quick penalty tactics, one I haven't seen for a while which was naughty but funny at the time was when a penalty was awarded and the captain saunters casually up to the ref, points to the posts and says to the ref "I'm not going for the posts..." opposition players only see the posts getting pointed to so turn away... which is perfect for a quick tap and pass out and run in for a try... cue lots of unhappy players asking why he was allowed to get away with that as he pointed to the posts....

In the Good old days, We used to have a kicker who would silently start making his divot, kicking the turf to make the mound as was the fashion of the day.
As opposition retired, he would bend as if to position ball on mound, tap and run!
Worked best with a penalty out wide.

I can remember, back in the late 70s or early 80s, playing for a small town club in the Midlands. We had a bloke who pretended to touch the ball down for a 22 (or probably a 25 yard dropout as it would likely have been then). The ref blew for that, just as the bloke started haring away up the pitch, ball in hand. He hadn’t actually touched it down and was most miffed when he found that he had fooled the ref as well as the opposition.

The knob.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Being touted that France v Scotland will be on 26th March with PRL apparently willing to release Scottish players.
If the French sports minister doesn't withdraw permission to play, which he had threatened.

If it did go ahead that day, it would be just 6 days after the Scotland/Italy and France/Wales games. It may be that neither side would be overjoyed about that, but of the two, I’d rather be coming off the back of playing Italy than recovering from playing the potential championship decider against Wales

Being touted that France v Scotland will be on 26th March with PRL apparently willing to release Scottish players.

I hope both teams get to play a full strength side.

Guessing it wasn't the Welsh RFU. :D
That’s dashed unsportsmanlike of them.
I only asked as it’s been all over the media that the RFU are not going to complain about the ref, so I was naturally curious when @Penfold stated with such certainty that a complaint had been made.

shaka

Old-Salt
Didn't say you did. But the situation was an anomaly and Biggar exploited the referee's mistake which in my opinion is unsporting.

What he did was akin to a football player diving in the penalty area and hoping the referee gets it wrong and gives the pen. Just not the sort of thing I like to see in a rugby match.
I think we often look back at the amateur game with rose tinted specs. 1978 Wales v New Zealand All black Andy Hayden throws himself out of the line out and gains a penalty, he later admitted it was a ploy they had talked about and planned prior to the game.Biggar took advantage of a poor ref, shocking.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer

Will Racing release Finn?

My bold.... Welcome to the professional game Where winning is ALL. Just look at the sizes of all players, huge, often enhanced seemingly by steroids, just allowing players to crash into each other. Jinking, sidestepping runs by slight agile backs are rare these days, the scrums are a joke, when was the last time you saw a hooker actually trying to "hook" the ball, the scrum half puts the ball so far back, the no.8 can pick it up!!
I think you are a bit unnecessarily pessimistic. I would like to think that steroids are not used at the Premiership level, certainly not on an approved basis. Have there been any rumours of this? If so, it would put a certain club's imaginative accounting in the shade.

As for jinking, sidestepping runs, did you watch the Falcons/Quins game? Here are the two tries scored by Tyrone Green:

I just hope he's not Welsh!

Latest Threads