Rugby Union 6 Nations 2021

Alamo

LE
Dan Biggar was a prize example of this new lack of sportsmanship that the professional game has brought us with his kick to Josh Adams for Wales first "try". You could see by his body language and manner exactly what he'd planned to do even before he asked the ref to tell him when time was back on. He could see England weren't ready and exploited the fact. A pound to a penny if the ref had blown his whistle and called it back (like he should have done) then Biggar would have had a kick at goal. He did exactly the same against England in the summer during the pre World Cup match a year or so ago and George North was the beneficiary this time. Some might say it's shrewd, but I think it's at odds with the rugby code of sportsmanship conduct and I dislike it intensely.
Ridiculous. I suppose the scrum half should have waited for England as well.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I'm over this now.
He made two bad decisions which impacted the match hugely, but England got past it by being the better team and drawing level - only to throw the game away. It was a game England lost themselves.

My only real concern is the lack of sportsmanship a la football that has been creeping into modern professional rugby for the past 15 or so years. Players appealing all the time for referee decisions, over-dramatising any little law infringement such as collisions when chasing a kick etc. It's really sickening.

Dan Biggar was a prize example of this new lack of sportsmanship that the professional game has brought us with his kick to Josh Adams for Wales first "try". You could see by his body language and manner exactly what he'd planned to do even before he asked the ref to tell him when time was back on. He could see England weren't ready and exploited the fact. A pound to a penny if the ref had blown his whistle and called it back (like he should have done) then Biggar would have had a kick at goal. He did exactly the same against England in the summer during the pre World Cup match a year or so ago and George North was the beneficiary this time. Some might say it's shrewd, but I think it's at odds with the rugby code of sportsmanship conduct and I dislike it intensely.

So if you could tell by his body language and manner what he was going to do, why didn't the professionals on the pitch?

So if you could tell by his body language and manner what he was going to do, why didn't the professionals on the pitch?
Maybe because they were listening to their captain, aware that the ref wouldn’t restart the game until the defence was reset. Like it should be.

Stibbon

Old-Salt
Ridiculous. I suppose the scrum half should have waited for England as well.

Nope.

Maybe read the previous pages as well mate ... ;)

Stibbon

Old-Salt

Which professionals do you mean?

Oh you mean the England team that were all huddled together under the posts facing the other way and listening to their captain? Those ones?

FFS - you're not Welsh by any chance are you? :rolleyes:

Just leave this here for the Farrell haters.

The clatter of hooves from all the White Knight luvvies rushing to console poor Sonja is deafening... Nick Mullins is one of the most embarrassing in a heap of embarrassing tweets in support of her..
As for diversity box ticking, I suppose they have to get talking heads that actually 'talk', rather than grunt.. and ones that are able to understand the basic laws of the game, analyse questions asked and string a coherent sentence together to fill the hour of pre-match waffle. It's not a role I see for James Haskell for instance... lads banter on a podcast is a mile away from doing something like Maggie Alphonsi is able to do, diversity box ticking or not...

At least there aren't too many female rugby commentators yet (I know... I'm a sexist dinosaur) but it's just that with some the pitch of their voice can be chalk down a blackboard when trying to listen to a football match on 5Live and it gets frantic in the goal mouth and the commentator gets caught up in the excitement... "SCREECH!!" ....thank God there aren't any female horse racing commentators as the blokes doing that job are bad enough!

That is an embarrassing tweet by Mullins.

McLaughlin has been shockingly bad for years.
The fellow I was watching with criticised the interview immediately.
I had three text messages in the next couple of minutes saying the same thing.

Just leave this here for the Farrell haters.

It's quite something when a gesture of sporting goodwill in rugby makes the headlines.

It seems to be viewed as exceptional behaviour now, rather than the norm.

It's quite something when a gesture of sporting goodwill in rugby makes the headlines.

I watch a mixture of Six Nations, Gallagher Premiership and Super Rugby AU (and Aotearoa if I can squeeze any in) and I regularly see players on opposite sides helping each other off the ground. Not all the time, obviously, but often enough for me to comment (to myself) that the spirit of rugby is still there.

E2A: arguably, Joe Marler takes it a bit too far with his Welsh willy tickling though.

Think he was rebutting the anti Farrell vibe more than making a sport wide comment.
But you knew that

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Maybe because they were listening to their captain, aware that the ref wouldn’t restart the game until the defence was reset. Like it should be.
Maybe because thev ref told Farrell to go and talk to his team, not get them in a huddle for a training session. How many times have you seen a similar request from the referee and the captain has gone along the line, having spoken to the culprit first.

Now I don't think the referee was paying attention to the whole field and just paying attention to the kicker. When asked by Biggar he should have checked the situation not just put time back on.

It would be interesting to know if the TMO, who had a 'mare as well, was talking to the ref at the same time thus distracting him.

Last edited:

Stibbon

Old-Salt
Maybe because thev ref told Farrell to go and talk to his team, not get them in a huddle for a training session. How many times have you seen a similar request from the referee and the captain has gone along the line, having spoken to the culprit first.

They were where they were, because ordinarily, any team would have kicked for goal and taken 3 points.

It was a complete cluster in more ways than one, but Biggar exploited the situation. He was probably as surprised as Farrell when the ref didn't blow again and make them retake.

Didn't say you did. But the situation was an anomaly and Biggar exploited the referee's mistake which in my opinion is unsporting.

What he did was akin to a football player diving in the penalty area and hoping the referee gets it wrong and gives the pen. Just not the sort of thing I like to see in a rugby match.

My bold.... Welcome to the professional game Where winning is ALL. Just look at the sizes of all players, huge, often enhanced seemingly by steroids, just allowing players to crash into each other. Jinking, sidestepping runs by slight agile backs are rare these days, the scrums are a joke, when was the last time you saw a hooker actually trying to "hook" the ball, the scrum half puts the ball so far back, the no.8 can pick it up!!
The old game which I was fortunate enough to play for almost 12 years in several countries, Wales, England, Scotland & Northern Rhodesia starting with junior Rugby in S. Wales where the 15 yr old hooker in our steel works team went on to play for Wales (Vic Perrin), Africa where I played with a couple of S. African Provincial players in the local town team. Scotland where Peter Brown the Scottish 2nd row kept me out of the W. of Scotland first team. Down to London Welsh in the late '60's early '70's, where I never got higher than the thirds as much of the first & second teams were Either British Lions or Welsh Players, but it allowed me to train with these, people like JPR, John Dawes, Gerald Davies, John Taylor etc, allowing one to develop ones game to where our team only lost 4 matches in 5 seasons!
We were a variety of shapes & sizes but we all enjoyed the games we played and it was sporting in those days. Winning WAS important but not at all costs.
IMHO the professional game and the importation of players from abroad has spoilt what used to be a great sport!!
I don't think we will ever see tries like the wonderful Baba's try against the All Blacks again much the pity and sadly the game I knew is no more!

Penfold

Clanker
You don't need a set of protocols. You just need common sense and a decent ref. 99% of refs manage it, one French twat doesn't.
I totally agree that we shouldn't need a set, however this occurred in a high profile match with an experienced referee. It has been the subject of a formal complaint, I fear that the need to be seen to do something in response will result in either protocols or a "clarification".

All of which detracts from the key issue - the long standing poor discipline by England: if they had not conceded so many penalties in a short space of time they would not have been sent for a chat in the first place.

.... the key issue - the long standing poor discipline by England: if they had not conceded so many penalties in a short space of time they would not have been sent for a chat in the first place.

True.

And furthermore, having been the better team for a significant period, and having fought back to 24-24, seemingly with the momentum to go on and win it, if they hadn’t conceded another raft of penalties in the last 20 minutes that Wales gratefully kicked to win the game. Wales were 9 points clear when they scored the BP try in the last minute of the game, which was just the icing on the cake at that stage. England had blown it by then.

I totally agree that we shouldn't need a set, however this occurred in a high profile match with an experienced referee. It has been the subject of a formal complaint, I fear that the need to be seen to do something in response will result in either protocols or a "clarification".

All of which detracts from the key issue - the long standing poor discipline by England: if they had not conceded so many penalties in a short space of time they would not have been sent for a chat in the first place.
Who made the complaint?