Rugby Union 6 Nations 2021

Fat POM

Old-Salt
Good soundbite! ;)

I agree with you and the BBC seem to be the worst offenders. I can almost forgive them when it's aimed at a smarmy politician, but a sportsperson who has just left the field of play with emotions running high...........
Anyway you are right Farrell fielded the "questions" like a captain. Maybe he is growing up at last!
As for the reporter, she was looking for the sensational headline and continued to persue it throughout the interview. Going on Twitter to complain about comments on Twitter sums up the majority of Twitter users to me.

My bold TWATS?

The referee assessor, and the referee separately, will be going through the match and they will then go through it together. The team managers also send in reports. These are all passed to the referees manager, Joël Jutge who reports to Joe Schmidt Director of Rugby and High Performance , where he will go through all the reports and also speak to the referee.

This will then go to the World Rugby Match Officials Selection Committee, chaired by Graham Mourie and any decision will made there.

Stibbon

Old-Salt

I'm over this now.
He made two bad decisions which impacted the match hugely, but England got past it by being the better team and drawing level - only to throw the game away. It was a game England lost themselves.

My only real concern is the lack of sportsmanship a la football that has been creeping into modern professional rugby for the past 15 or so years. Players appealing all the time for referee decisions, over-dramatising any little law infringement such as collisions when chasing a kick etc. It's really sickening.

Dan Biggar was a prize example of this new lack of sportsmanship that the professional game has brought us with his kick to Josh Adams for Wales first "try". You could see by his body language and manner exactly what he'd planned to do even before he asked the ref to tell him when time was back on. He could see England weren't ready and exploited the fact. A pound to a penny if the ref had blown his whistle and called it back (like he should have done) then Biggar would have had a kick at goal. He did exactly the same against England in the summer during the pre World Cup match a year or so ago and George North was the beneficiary this time. Some might say it's shrewd, but I think it's at odds with the rugby code of sportsmanship conduct and I dislike it intensely.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I'm over this now.
He made two bad decisions which impacted the match hugely, but England got past it by being the better team and drawing level - only to throw the game away. It was a game England lost themselves.

My only real concern is the lack of sportsmanship a la football that has been creeping into modern professional rugby for the past 15 or so years. Players appealing all the time for referee decisions, over-dramatising any little law infringement such as collisions when chasing a kick etc. It's really sickening.

Dan Biggar was a prize example of this new lack of sportsmanship that the professional game has brought us with his kick to Josh Adams for Wales first "try". You could see by his body language and manner exactly what he'd planned to do even before he asked the ref to tell him when time was back on. He could see England weren't ready and exploited the fact. A pound to a penny if the ref had blown his whistle and called it back (like he should have done) then Biggar would have had a kick at goal. He did exactly the same against England in the summer during the pre World Cup match a year or so ago and George North was the beneficiary this time. Some might say it's shrewd, but I think it's at odds with the rugby code of sportsmanship conduct and I dislike it intensely.

Quick taps and the like have always been part of the game.

You don't need to wait for the opposition

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
The referee issues have been overhanging everything about the game yet there was so much to applaud, in the players not officials.

Bigger reached 100 caps which is quite a feat, even if there are more internationals these days - indeed might be even more remarkable because of that.

Daly reached 50 caps which is also quite a feat.

And lastly Farrell reached more than 1000 points scored which is a superb record and no doubt will be increased over the next few years.

All really good stories from last Saturday, all smothered by poor refereeing! Such a pity.

Sorry, forgot to add, Wales picked up the Triple Crown!

Stibbon

Old-Salt

Didn't say you did. But the situation was an anomaly and Biggar exploited the referee's mistake which in my opinion is unsporting.

What he did was akin to a football player diving in the penalty area and hoping the referee gets it wrong and gives the pen. Just not the sort of thing I like to see in a rugby match.

Didn't say you did. But the situation was an anomaly and Biggar exploited the referee's mistake which in my opinion is unsporting.

What he did was akin to a football player diving in the penalty area and hoping the referee gets it wrong and gives the pen. Just not the sort of thing I like to see in a rugby match.
Have you played though?

Sorry, but that’s just Bol locks. Diving is simulation which is a bookable offence contrary to the laws of the game. Taking a penalty when the ref has told you that you can and has blown his whistle is perfectly legit. The scrum half took a quick tap penalty and scored from that. He’s being applauded for his quick thinking on that. What is the difference?

The ref was at fault here, and shouldn’t have put time on without warning England that he was going to. Once he signalled play, though, Biggar was allowed to play, and he did.

Stibbon

Old-Salt
Sorry, but that’s just Bol locks. Diving is simulation which is a bookable offence contrary to the laws of the game. Taking a penalty when the ref has told you that you can and has blown his whistle is perfectly legit. The scrum half took a quick tap penalty and scored from that. He’s being applauded for his quick thinking on that. What is the difference?

The ref was at fault here, and shouldn’t have put time on without warning England that he was going to. Once he signalled play, though, Biggar was allowed to play, and he did.

See post #1326

Maybe the football analogy was a little skewed, for which I apologise, but at the very least, what Biggar did was unsporting and showed a lack of respect for his opponent.

Last edited:

Penfold

Clanker

The clock remains on for a quick tap. Both teams know this, the penalised team also know that they need to try to retire the 10 & reset as quickly as possible. When the ref turns the clock off and tells 1 team to have a chat is slightly different. I do not think that the 2 are directly comparable.

I will not be surprised if, in the not to distant future, a set of protocols is introduced to cover restarting the game after the clock is stopped during a match.

The clock remains on for a quick tap. Both teams know this, the penalised team also know that they need to try to retire the 10 & reset as quickly as possible. When the ref turns the clock off and tells 1 team to have a chat is slightly different. I do not think that the 2 are directly comparable.

I will not be surprised if, in the not to distant future, a set of protocols is introduced to cover restarting the game after the clock is stopped during a match.
You don't need a set of protocols. You just need common sense and a decent ref. 99% of refs manage it, one French twat doesn't.