Rugby Union 6 Nations 2021

As a general query, would the public execution of some BBC commentators be considered excessive?

I don't think I'm being overly harsh if I say all should be taken to an open field & have an empty rifle bullet casing hammered through there respective skulls. May I suggest a 7.62 expended from that rifle?

As for the current England team having lost to the sweaties & now the sheep shagging druids, they are dead to me....

Controversial tries notwithstanding, England have got to look at that and think “we let them win that”. Well played Wales in the final quarter.

But all in all that has got to be the spawniest Triple Crown in history!

My bold true, It's is amazing that so many freak incidents have occurred, all to teams Wales happen to be playing. Possibly it speaks of Wales being more disciplined and not giving away stupid penalties and having players sent off.
The few positive things about Wales, to me, was the improvement in the line out, the discovery of a new speedy winger and another fairly reliable kicker. That plus the fact that Wales seem to gain confidence in themselves which has seemed lacking in earlier seasons .
Farrell is doing himself no favours by his continual arguing with the Ref. especially over the quick penalty which gave us a lovely try! IMHO he could have got himself sent off!

I very much enjoyed yesterday's Wales England game. Is it just me or are others enjoying the empty stands? Most strange, because I would previously have said that the stadium atmospheric were key. But they are not. Brilliant rugby is. If only I could just watch, with the sound from those on the pitch, without the commentary.

Anyway.Fantastic rugby from both teams, but even without the ref I think Wales were fantasticer.
It’s good to see England taking a kick at goal without the Jocks booing, otherwise it’s like playing at school in a games lesson, albeit with less swearing...

Gabion Groyne

Old-Salt
It is interesting to know if a male interviewer would have received the same level of abuse?

After all, one just has to look at the various rugby threads on ARRSE to see how well females being associated with rugby on TV is tolerated.
Possibly not, but it's doubtful he would have sat in his car and cried.

I'm not condoning the comments but that's what happens if you're on Twatter.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
It’s good to see England taking a kick at goal without the Jocks booing, otherwise it’s like playing at school in a games lesson, albeit with less swearing...
I didn't see England take a kick at goal against Scotland yesterday, where was that played? ;)

BTW, I agree with you about the noise during penalty/conversions. That is something that has arrived at Murrayfield in the past few years and is getting worse. Mind you, I think I am more distracted than the kickers.

Bloody hell. Missed the BBC interview and entire overnight Twitter spat but just watched the interview with Farrell.

I'm a neutral in the game and no great lover of Farrell but I saw a captain for the first time as I saw him act like a team leader under shockingly poor questioning.

The Cult of the soundbite ambush I hope has reached it's low water mark.

Last edited:
My bold true, It's is amazing that so many freak incidents have occurred, all to teams Wales happen to be playing. Possibly it speaks of Wales being more disciplined and not giving away stupid penalties and having players sent off.
The few positive things about Wales, to me, was the improvement in the line out, the discovery of a new speedy winger and another fairly reliable kicker. That plus the fact that Wales seem to gain confidence in themselves which has seemed lacking in earlier seasons .
Farrell is doing himself no favours by his continual arguing with the Ref. especially over the quick penalty which gave us a lovely try! IMHO he could have got himself sent off!
Oh my. Can you imagine the wailing and gnashing of teeth if he had been sent off?

The Cult of the soundbite ambush I hope has reached it's low water mark
Good soundbite! ;)

I agree with you and the BBC seem to be the worst offenders. I can almost forgive them when it's aimed at a smarmy politician, but a sportsperson who has just left the field of play with emotions running high...........
Anyway you are right Farrell fielded the "questions" like a captain. Maybe he is growing up at last!
As for the reporter, she was looking for the sensational headline and continued to persue it throughout the interview. Going on Twitter to complain about comments on Twitter sums up the majority of Twitter users to me.

Oh my. Can you imagine the wailing and gnashing of teeth if he had been sent off?
If he had been sent off for backchatting or swearing at the ref, he would deservedly be sent off and face a few matches cooling his heels. You would get no complaints from the vast majority of genuine fans. Yesterday he had a legitimate grieveance with the appauling refereeing and kept his cool whilst the referee, having made the error compounded it by waving Farrell away, completely ignoring his valid protestations.

The clatter of hooves from all the White Knight luvvies rushing to console poor Sonja is deafening... Nick Mullins is one of the most embarrassing in a heap of embarrassing tweets in support of her..
As for diversity box ticking, I suppose they have to get talking heads that actually 'talk', rather than grunt.. and ones that are able to understand the basic laws of the game, analyse questions asked and string a coherent sentence together to fill the hour of pre-match waffle. It's not a role I see for James Haskell for instance... lads banter on a podcast is a mile away from doing something like Maggie Alphonsi is able to do, diversity box ticking or not...

At least there aren't too many female rugby commentators yet (I know... I'm a sexist dinosaur) but it's just that with some the pitch of their voice can be chalk down a blackboard when trying to listen to a football match on 5Live and it gets frantic in the goal mouth and the commentator gets caught up in the excitement... "SCREECH!!" ....thank God there aren't any female horse racing commentators as the blokes doing that job are bad enough!

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
The TV did well to survive the first half. I thought England were the better team until the hour mark despite the ref killing the game for both teams. Deserved win for Wales in the last twenty.
With England's resources they have to be better than this.
I don't have the answer but it has gone on for too long.
Well done Wales.
Well said that man, even if through gritted teeth - Hurrah for the CRE !

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Someone (over beer) talked me into veterans rugby a few years ago. Thinking I was in reasonable shape I agreed. I had my nice coloured tabard indicating something or other.

Christ I was blowing out my hoop after 5 minutes and had to come off for a lie down!

After a few years off, went for a game of touch.

Twas the next morning realised that you can pull muscles in your ass cheeks, both sides.

I can only assume it was due to my new found ability to side step!

(PS for those that must have missed the original spat, the rugby credentials are due to 2 posters arguing about something, rucks I think, and each accusing the other of never having played)

Last edited:

Issi

LE
I was adequate as a player, but still play touch when I can.

Anyhoo, I thoroughly enjoyed the game, my experience was only marred by the fact that I am currently on the wagon, and so watched it with a nice cup of tea and not 6 pints of Red Stripe.

I didn't see England take a kick at goal against Scotland yesterday, where was that played? ;)

BTW, I agree with you about the noise during penalty/conversions. That is something that has arrived at Murrayfield in the past few years and is getting worse. Mind you, I think I am more distracted than the kickers.
I seem to have blanked out the memory of that match...

It seems things are getting a bit out of hand in the Twittersphere, but I think far too much prominence is being given to the 'hurtful comments' to commentators and now it seems even 'death threat' comments to the players on the pitch.... these people do have delete buttons don't they... making an issue is only going to generate even more abuse from bored teenagers (school's still out) )and the like with idle text-thumbs...

Ellis Genge is apparently the target of death threats for not clapping.... who would seriously threaten the Rhino..? Welsh players getting online abuse as none of them took the knee as well... it's all getting very silly.

Latest Threads