Rugby Union 6 Nations 2021

I'm pretty much neutral when it comes to Wales v England tbh.
Wales had the two try making decisions go for them. The Ref and TMO were at fault for those, BUT, Wales played to the Refs whistle and took advantage.
England did look sharper on the ball, but their discipline let them down. Otoje, yes he gave away penalties however he was playing right on the edge and maybe with a different Ref on the day he would have not been penalised.

The Referee in my mind was whistle happy, he caused way to much disruption to what could have been an incredibly open expansive match, I though that some of his decision making was poor to say the least, he spoiled what would have been a magnificent contest.

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
I'm pretty much neutral when it comes to Wales v England tbh.
Wales had the two try making decisions go for them. The Ref and TMO were at fault for those, BUT, Wales played to the Refs whistle and took advantage.
England did look sharper on the ball, but their discipline let them down. Otoje, yes he gave away penalties however he was playing right on the edge and maybe with a different Ref on the day he would have not been penalised.

The Referee in my mind was whistle happy, he caused way to much disruption to what could have been an incredibly open expansive match, I though that some of his decision making was poor to say the least, he spoiled what would have been a magnificent contest.
this bloke?

Other than that :plotting: Pretty fair summation that and I agree. You do have to play to the Ref no matter how dire they are.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
After a night of reflection, which included several beers and some single malt, I have calmed down.
England despite Wales' 16th man managed to get back to level with 20 mins to go. Then for some inexplicable reason they reverted to kicking the ball away. Wales scored 2 legal tries at the end and deservedly won the game.
Once again England failed to change tactics and deal with the referee, during a game. This has become a worrying trend of late. I thought we were good in parts and whilst the penalty count was way too high again, some of those penalties were due to a clueless ref.
Itoje plays like a loose forward and like many before him he plays on the very edge of the offside line. Some you win some you lose, but he should keep playing the way he does.
Farrell did well to keep his cool both on and off the pitch yesterday. Both Whaburton and Johnson said they would have been fuming if it happened to them.
Ireland and France to play and some big performances are needed if we are to salvage anything from this years tournament.
Yesterday was probably the first and only tine that Farrell should have lost his cool. He could have blown up, gone back to his team and said we are playing 16 so lets get stuck in. To an extent they did just that and got back to 24-24 but then sat back, almost as though satisfied that they had shown the ref, so there!

England arguably played their best game of the 6N yesterday, however I am not convinced they would have won had the two tries not been given as shown by the fact they got to equal pegging and switched off. Normally the England replacements, or Finishers as EJ likes to call them, are good but were not effective yesterday and Wales's replacements were more effective. There was a lot less kicking than previously, which was good but England are showing themselves to be one dimensional and if Plan A don't work, oh well there is always next week!

As for Itojie, he plays a great part round the ruck, disrupting, charging down being the thorn in the side of the opposing pack. He is very good at this. If the ref yesterday had not been so whistle happy he may not have picked up so much criticism. I rate him and he is a good member of the team.

Snip/

Snip/

Maybe with a different ref on the day he would have been carded for serial offences...

Fat POM

Old-Salt
I note that it has now become necessary to declare ones rugby playing credentials before posting. For the avoidance of future doubt, I played for thirty seasons before an aging body forced retirement. On my rare good days I was distinctly average. Since my retirement, like many arrsers, I have become world class. When drink has been taken I am often even better!

On yesterday, England seem unable to learn basic stuff but looked outstanding in brief flashes. Wales deserved the win. We saw too much of the ref, always a problem.

As a general query, would the public execution of some BBC commentators be considered excessive?

I note that it has now become necessary to declare ones rugby playing credentials before posting. For the avoidance of future doubt, I played for thirty seasons before an aging body forced retirement. On my rare good days I was distinctly average. Since my retirement, like many arrsers, I have become world class. When drink has been taken I am often even better!

On yesterday, England seem unable to learn basic stuff but looked outstanding in brief flashes. Wales deserved the win. We saw too much of the ref, always a problem.

As a general query, would the public execution of some BBC commentators be considered excessive?
On the commentators, I would only have two up for it, fecking Jiffy and the awful Butler

Heartless people these rugby followers... heartless... They've made the poor girl cry because she looks at her Twitter...
I thought Farrell was pretty good on his post-match guff... Sonja is taking the Twitter trolling to heart... maybe Martin Bayfield will take over in future instead of the girlies...

btw, seeing as everyone is being asked if they played which seems to be a prerequisite for being allowed to comment.... I never played...
What a load of old shite. I thought she was disrespectful and deserves all the pelters she got. Was it her that interviewed Farrell in the week too ? That was the same manner.
as for her dripping like a septic quim on Twatter, you reap what you sow. As for her gender being a factor, Charlie Hiscott does the questions on the grid in WSB and he’s of a similar vein. He gets hammered for his technique. I can’t recall one single time he’s whined about the feedback.

Maybe with a different ref on the day he would have been carded for serial offences...
And a different ref might not have penalised a few of his incidents, most notable the very first one which set the tone for me

Don't know why this has become an issue with some people. It's a bit like the "how many medals have you got" argument. As far as I know Nigel Owens never played past his school team and he seemed to understand the laws of the game quite well!

Agreed. I don't know if a report is still written on the ref post match, but if it is I can't see him reffing an international for a while. Aside from the obvious mistakes, he was inconsistent and whistle happy. He spoilt what could have been one of the matches of the tournament.

The whole of sports comentary on all channels has become a box ticking excercise.

And nobody has said anything about the shortness of his shorts. Even my missus said "what does that cheese eating surrender monkey ref think he looks like with those too short shorts".

Agreed. I don't know if a report is still written on the ref post match, but if it is I can't see him reffing an international for a while. Aside from the obvious mistakes, he was inconsistent and whistle happy. He spoilt what could have been one of the matches of the tournament.
The referee assessor, and the referee separately, will be going through the match and they will then go through it together. The team managers also send in reports. These are all passed to the referees manager, Joël Jutge who reports to Joe Schmidt Director of Rugby and High Performance , where he will go through all the reports and also speak to the referee.

This will then go to the World Rugby Match Officials Selection Committee, chaired by Graham Mourie and any decision will made there.

Same here, I played for a few years and the older I get the more awesome I was.
My last game I played, I realised that my mind was writing cheques the body could no longer cash.

My last game I played, I realised that my mind was writing cheques the body could no longer cash.
Someone (over beer) talked me into veterans rugby a few years ago. Thinking I was in reasonable shape I agreed. I had my nice coloured tabard indicating something or other.

Christ I was blowing out my hoop after 5 minutes and had to come off for a lie down!

Truxx

LE
I very much enjoyed yesterday's Wales England game. Is it just me or are others enjoying the empty stands? Most strange, because I would previously have said that the stadium atmospheric were key. But they are not. Brilliant rugby is. If only I could just watch, with the sound from those on the pitch, without the commentary.

Anyway.Fantastic rugby from both teams, but even without the ref I think Wales were fantasticer.

Truxx

LE
I gave over when the interval between matches was less than the injury recovery time from the previous blood letting.

The referee assessor, and the referee separately, will be going through the match and they will then go through it together. The team managers also send in reports.

It would be interesting to see the England team manager’s report on yesterday’s game.

Much as I enjoyed the result, I have to say that the ref was pretty shocking at times.

Charlie Hiscott does the questions on the grid in WSB and he’s of a similar vein. He gets hammered for his technique. I can’t recall one single time he’s whined about the feedback.
I don't watch WSB anymore, partly because of this odious twat, and also because the race commentator sounds like some over excited teenager on crack.

Latest Threads