Rugby Union 6 Nations 2021

Gabion Groyne

Old-Salt
With England getting the try just before half time I expected them to come out the blocks fast in the second, but it did just not materialise. At that stage everything was eeksy-peeksy till Wales got their next try and from then on they were in the ascendency.

The Welsh subs seemed better than England's and Sheedy was definitely on the boil, as a carrier as much as a kicker. England's play at times reminded me of the Scotland game when they huffed and puffed but were snuffed out by good defence and their similar ill-discipline. On that point I can't believe Itoje wasn't binned for his persistent misdemeanours, but he's used to getting away with that at club level.

I think that Owen did a good job in the post match interview, maybe auntie will consider hiring Kathy Newman to commentate on Rugby.

Itoje is an absolute menace if he’s playing against you. He does a lot of excellent stuff. He plays on the edge - as world class players do. But the question is, is his excellent play so excellent as to be more valuable than the negative of the penalties that he gives away is negative?

I don’t know. But no doubt England will have an army of stattos who will know the answer to that question.

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer

Fat POM

Old-Salt
The TV did well to survive the first half. I thought England were the better team until the hour mark despite the ref killing the game for both teams. Deserved win for Wales in the last twenty.
With England's resources they have to be better than this.
I don't have the answer but it has gone on for too long.
Well done Wales.

IMG-20210227-WA0014.jpg

Penfold

Clanker
That's not what the Law says is the decider in a knock on or not. The fact it hits the England player before the ground means it is not a knock on.

What we personally feel about that fact is irrelevant to it being a perfectly legal try.

When you get 2 players competing for a high ball it is not uncommon for player A to knock the ball forwards into the oncoming player B. The ball then rebounds to another player. The ball has gone nowhere near the ground, but it is called as a double knock on, first offence A. I do not see how this is any different.

For the record I have played (both codes) but a bloody long time ago.

Penfold

Clanker
England, yet again, failed to learn on field and react to what was happening.
The high penalty count is not new - they have to stop shooting themselves in the feet then reloading.

Wales, like Scotland before them, reacted & changed to the on field circumstances.

Whilst I am not happy with either of the first 2 Welsh tries, the scores were level with 18 minutes to go.
Wales scored, England didn't. They deservedly won as a result.

I thought the England front rowers were v. good, especially Sinckler. It's a shame George Martin didn't make it onto the pitch.

I was looking forward to the France v Scotland game today. Very sad it’s been postponed. Now rather than watching what had the potential to be a very exciting game of rugby, Mrs S will be inventing domestic chores for me to fill my afternoon with!

Sonia trying like mad to get them to bite but weren't falling for it
Heartless people these rugby followers... heartless... They've made the poor girl cry because she looks at her Twitter...
I thought Farrell was pretty good on his post-match guff... Sonja is taking the Twitter trolling to heart... maybe Martin Bayfield will take over in future instead of the girlies...

btw, seeing as everyone is being asked if they played which seems to be a prerequisite for being allowed to comment.... I never played...

Alamo

LE
Good friend of mine (English) and I were in WhatsApp contact throughout the game. My message at 24-24 said ‘you look sharper with the ball, discipline is what’s killing you’. And so it came to pass; perhaps I should change my name to The Guru?:)

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Heartless people these rugby followers... heartless... They've made the poor girl cry because she looks at her Twitter...
I thought Farrell was pretty good on his post-match guff... Sonja is taking the Twitter trolling to heart... maybe Martin Bayfield will take over in future instead of the girlies...

btw, seeing as everyone is being asked if they played which seems to be a prerequisite for being allowed to comment.... I never played...

It is interesting to know if a male interviewer would have received the same level of abuse?

After all, one just has to look at the various rugby threads on ARRSE to see how well females being associated with rugby on TV is tolerated.

Well this is embarrassing. It does and Nigel explains.

It's must be a real shame when poor referee decisions cost you a match.

I don't think it's ever happened before.

There's certainly never been a bad call that would dump Scotland out of a rugby world cup or anything.

I can qualify my comments by saying I actually played the game of rugby.

I was pretty shit, though to be fair.

Alamo

LE
It is interesting to know if a male interviewer would have received the same level of abuse?

After all, one just has to look at the various rugby threads on ARRSE to see how well females being associated with rugby on TV is tolerated.
Tbh, I didn’t think she was any worse yesterday then she usually is. Her questions are banal to the point of absurdity ‘how important was it for you to score that try?’, ‘will you miss not having your captain for this game?’ Why she has the job is a complete mystery to me.

Latest Threads