Rugby Tour Nov 08 - Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Sports, Adventure Training and Events' started by WildGoose, Dec 2, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Gentlemen,

our 2007/2008 season has been ruined with pre-deployment training and so I am now looking to organise a rugby tour for the team to look forward to on their return to the UK in Autumn 08.

I have a few ideas knocking around my head, but I would appreciate suggestions from the floor for a tour in November 2008. Ideally it should be as exotic as possible without costing the earth (probably £600/head, so a personal contribution of around £200).

Help appreciated

WG

2. How about going to Dubai for the 7's next year, might be a little bit more cost wise but I am sure if you play it right you might try and wangle some flights etc.
    If that is out of the question then personally I would head for Montpellier/Perpignan, great areas, accomodation and hospitality.

3. I second that - they're a good crowd & EVERYONE plays rugby so no trouble fixing up matches with village teams...
    The Bayonne area might be worth a go - Bayonne is a great place to party!
    Bergerac area/ Dordogne may be good as well, especially as with so many English living out there, you'd probably have no trouble finding someone with a contact "out there".
    If you go with the France option, you could try for accommodation with the French military/gendarmerie for some of the time to cut costs.
    Good luck! :D

4. Having just enjoyed 2 great days of Rugby at the Dubai 7s I can recommend the weekend to anyone. Fantastic atmosphere, great rugby and lots of beer :)

Shame England got beat by Fiji in the semi finals

5. If you can stretch the cost a bit how about Hawaii? There are a few teams over there and I'm sure they would love to have a chance to play someone different.

Hurricane Rugby

Hawaii Harlequins

6. Bowmore_Assassin

Bowmore_Assassin LE Moderator Book Reviewer

A couple of ideas:

If you don't want to go overseas, a regimental team I played for many moons ago, toured Wales. Did some serious 3rd half stuff and the rugby was hard, fast and furious - especially some of the valley rugby teams. If you go, be prepared for tough play. Finishing the tour in Cardiff would be my recommendation (you could try and get accom in Maindy Barracks).

Next option but probably pricey. Toronto, Canada. Several teams in the area. Google Toronto Rugby to see a number of teams. Toronto Scottish were good blokes. Also see this link who might be prepared to take on some of the org for you. http://www.torontorugby.com/

Good luck.

7. Indianapolis is a good one, I played there for a season and they are quite good hosts becasue they all put their opposite number up in their houses. Also if you get the timing right you can go to the 3 rivers rugby tournament in fort wayne. PM me if you want more details.

8. Jersey - absolute winner. Friendly locals, cheap(ish) on the pi$$ and some tasty rugby teams. Look on the local BBC Jersey website to see how well the Jersey 1st team are doing. :D

9. The weather is one to consider and you will find about 2 foot of snow anywhere in Canada in November. The same for most eastern european venues. If you use Army sport's lottery funding you will find that a prerequisite is to write a tour report. They are held at Clayton Barracks in Aldershot and should give you handy hints and costing. Give them a ring.

Best value for money in November is probably Ireland. Try to stay outside of Dublin. No language probs and cheap and well matched rugby!