Rugby Boots, Hard or Soft Toe?

Discussion in 'Sports, Adventure Training and Events' started by Clerk_of_Jerks, Mar 11, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm trying to buy some rugby boots for my son but not being a rugby player myself, why are they categorised as hard or soft toe? and
    which type is best?

2. Depends what position he is?

3. If he is a forward....hard toe. If he plays in the backs.......soft toe.

4. I dont about that one mate , i am a prop and i wear low cut soft toe jobs . One stud
    on a hard toe and there is a dent there anyway . Most first class players have soft toes boots .

5. The hard toe boots are slightly heavier and that bit of extra weight makes a lot of differnece. Just get him a good sturdy pair of normal boots and change the studs to the rounded aluminium ones.

6. Thanks guys.

My boy is nine and the coaches are still trying to play the kids in different positions. Having said that he has the speed and build of a back/ winger. He also enjoys an hour or so of kicking the ball over the posts. Are there any tips on kicking? apart from watching Jonny Wilkinsons DVD.

7. If he's a back definatly get him a nice girly pair of soft toe football boots. Hard toe are only for the hard men weho need em, paveway is obviously not propping properly if he gets away with soft toes. As for kicking tips it's simple take your time, point naturally at the target, followthrough and make sure your toes are pointing towards where you want the ball to go at the end of the kick. If it's a specific type of kick he struggles with let me know and i'll see if i can dig up a lesson. But in my opinion if he's 9 he should be working on the ball in hand skills first then when he perfects them he can start to kick. Thats what i did but that could also explain why i'm a pants kicker.

8. Fang_Farrier

Fang_Farrier LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Stand back, line up kick and boot ball.

Every player has own style for kicking, best you can do is to get him a ball, borrow off the club if nesecary and take him to park, back garden every day if big enough.

As far am aware kicking conversions not a part of the mini game, only comes into the game at midi level.

9. If he is going to be a forward, you want to favour a boot that has ankle support. I agree with paveway_3, however, I would still go for a hard toe for that extra bit of protection, especially for a child.

10. Alternatively, if he is going to be a girl (ie a back), football boots will do (and don't forget the hair gel, hairdryer and brush - stand by for incoming!)

11. which boots? How queer!. Boots are boots, you dont get all this girly'ness with football. why not wear a nice my little pony sweat band around your head and tape up your ears so all the loud noise doesn't scare you.

12. At 9 years old he'll just be concentrating on the basics - boots are not important at this stage - settle for kissball (sorry - football) boots - that way he can play more than one sport in them before his feet grow again and you'll have to buy more in about 6-8 months (there speaks the voice of experience).

I'd be tempted to go for moulded soles but if you go for removable studs then be careful to get him proper studs - if it's a half decent club then they should have a stash that they will sell you. Referees are red hot on studs in rugby, be careful to get the ones with the kite mark as they are certified for not deteriorating into sharp edges - not good if you are in the ruck/maul/scrum and someone 'accidentally steps on you!!

Generally, hard toed boots are designed for the pack - often with ankle protection, whereas the backs tend to use lightweight football boots, which have soft toes. You will have noticed from this thread that it is all down to personal choice.

As for kicking - in rugby it's a routine thing, watch the pro's on TV, they've mostly got their own system that they're practised ad naseum. If he enjoys practising kicking - let him be, he can be coached properly later - just let him line himself up, time his run and kick the ball solidly, hopefully the ball will go in the general direction of his target. That's quite a lot to think about for a nine year old.

Ensuring he maintains his enthusiasm for the game is the most important thing now.

13. You are having a laugh aren't you, I just had to pick myself up off the floor. :lol:

I watched Arsenal vs Real Madrid the other night - I bet there was a fight for the mirror before that bunch of nancies took to the field of play.

"Ooooo, Roberta do these sateen shorts make me bum look big?"

"No David, oh by the way, I just love your new hairdo, you'll just have to let me know who your stylist is - I must book myself an appointment. By the way, old Pires is looking hot tonight - hope he scores so I can rush over and give him a big kiss!!"

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

14. you dont need boots just watch a referee in the Ireland V Scotland game make sure the referee plays a "home" game.

15. Cheers bully , soft toe boots for me mate. If you are getting your poor totsies stood on at prop,
    it is you who is not propping correctly . Joke aside i prefer soft toe boots and there are more
    of them around . If your boy is a back just get him any pair really , he will be growing so fast, he will
    grow out of them before you know it . Oh bully any time pal i would take you to the cleaners , lets
    compare rugby C.V. 'S shall we .