Rugby - autumn internationals

Agreed, but England have played Tonga, the US and Canada this year. They (England) appear happy to play anyone you like. What I would like to see though, is an England tour through the S Pacific playing Tonga, Samoa and Fiji before finishing off in NZ. Or a S America tour, or even N and S America, But I suppose there is no money in it . . .

And whatever happened to the tours by international teams where they trotted around the country playing the local equivalent of provincial-level teams or top clubs? I can remember the All Blacks being beaten by NW Counties and Llanelli.

The days of 3 month tour are long gone.
1974 lions - 15 May to 27 July.
22 games in all.
Can you imagine the clubs allowing that now?

Other than several English players doing it I never noticed though
Telling that not one of the SA squad knelt. They've lived/are living through proper racism, not just nasty words on social media.

Telling that not one of the SA squad knelt. They've lived/are living through proper racism, not just nasty words on social media.
Ooooh, here comes trouble.
Especially as some of the cricket chaps were lambasted for not kneeling.
One suspects it was a 'Fcuk you, World Rugby and your edicts... after what you did to Rassie' move.

I have a suspicion that back in the day rugby fans, who had been brought up in the game, went to rugby internationals and that was all good. With the advent of professionalism, and needing to sell the game as an event, non rugby fans now attend in great numbers. It’s a spectacle to attend, to post on social media and to say “look at me, I’ve been to the rugby”. With that comes the kind of behaviour one sees at football matches where the spectators feel they can behave as they want, because they’ve paid a lot of money for their ticket, and they are “entitled” to do as they please.

To be fair it's the same with wendy-ballers commentating on rugby. They never notice the intricacies of the set piece, the front row gamesmanship, the interplay between the backs, the general game plan etc etc. It's only ever about their perceived opinion of the referee. And usually laced with wendy-ball terms like "outrageous", "shocking", "gutted", "game of two halves", "for me..." etc. etc. It's most commonly the result of poor parenting.

Just been reading the article below. You can make your own mind up regarding the culprits.
My gripe is the amount of back chat going on. If the referees don't clamp down on it fast it will end up like football.
Whatever happened to the ref walking 10 yards up the field as a punishment?

Good solid Irish performance there against an Argentina team who at times looked like they’d one foot on the plane home. Forwards were immense today. Strength in depth looks promising. Some decent youth coming through.

I thoroughly enjoyed all the matches I watched, but for me, with a two-group arrangement there is no conclusion. It needs a final match: winner group A v winner group B to decide.

My gripe is the amount of back chat going on. If the referees don't clamp down on it fast it will end up like football.
Whatever happened to the ref walking 10 yards up the field as a punishment?

Anyone telling an official to yellow a player etc regardless of whether it's a player or 'water carrier' should be fucked off to the stands sharpish. It's crap sportsmanship and belongs in wendy ball. Agreed about the last point, can't even recall the last time I seen a ref do that.

Anyone telling an official to yellow a player etc regardless of whether it's a player or 'water carrier' should be fucked off to the stands sharpish. It's crap sportsmanship and belongs in wendy ball. Agreed about the last point, can't even recall the last time I seen a ref do that.
Agreed it’s crap and needs cut out. Of both sports.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I thoroughly enjoyed all the matches I watched, but for me, with a two-group arrangement there is no conclusion. It needs a final match: winner group A v winner group B to decide.
I disagree with turning the autumn intls into competitions. These games are designed to allow national managers to try out new players and tactics in real game situations (and make loadsamunny). Turn it into a comp and we will just get the same tired players time and again. I enjoy seeing youngsters getting their debut and watching some good rugby without the pressure of a bit of tin at the end.

I disagree with turning the autumn intls into competitions. These games are designed to allow national managers to try out new players and tactics in real game situations (and make loadsamunny). Turn it into a comp and we will just get the same tired players time and again. I enjoy seeing youngsters getting their debut and watching some good rugby without the pressure of a bit of tin at the end.
Yes, but for some nations, the win-at-all-costs thing is leading to very few youngsters coming through.
Saffers had 7 out of 32 in their squad with less than 10 caps. Very few got a look in.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Yes, but for some nations, the win-at-all-costs thing is leading to very few youngsters coming through.
Saffers had 7 out of 32 in their squad with less than 10 caps. Very few got a look in.
Aye, but they are on tour which is a bit different, anyhoo, not worried about the SH teams, this is about the NH and espec the 6N teams who have all had a good workout (standfast the 'Tallies).

Bit of a spat now on Facebook about the Tompkins try. Personally I think he knocked it forward but the Aussies didn’t play to the whistle. Now there’s some experts saying it doesn’t matter if the bal goes backwards, knocking the ball down is illegal. So what happens at line outs then?
If that ref said it didn’t go forward then that’s play on. Rugby refs are like helicopter pilots. They can’t wait to tell you of the fact

Last edited:
I'm a big fan of "If you ask me for a yellow card again, you'll get one."

I quite like the games going through the gears - young players with tons of talent like Radwan got to prove that they are the real deal against second tier teams, before steady Eddie dropped him for some journeyman like Marchant. Luckily Farrell was injured, otherwise Smith wouldn't get the chance to show us that he is our best 10 against the world champs.

If every game was a comp, Jones would still be playing Youngs and Farrell in 2043.

Yea it's bollocks and all this 'off the pitch' toxicity I started to notice from the Boks during the Lions tour grinds my gears too, particularly casting shade on match officials where games will ultimately resemble NFL matches in longevity as they spend more time watching TMO for fear of getting it wrong than getting on with it and appreciating the capricious nature of sports.

Agreed with the majority; keep the Autumn internationals friendly to encourage top tier nations to try new players and play against more developing nations and thus avoiding burning out their top players just to win a pointless bit of tin.