Rudeness at the supermarket. Right or wrong?

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by scrofula, Oct 25, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I've worked in a shop, and, bless it all, I'm living in central europe, have done for 16 years. I go in a shop, a Tesco or an Albert ( UK folk won't get the Albert even if I say it is part of Hypernova) and what do I get? A get. No, not like oo, err, i can't work that one out, no, no, a full-up accredited get - **** you sir, if you were wearing wellies I'd piss in them. Not once, every day, for months. And there's a pack of the happy little people. Customer services, I have tried to explain, is a skill I teach to senior managers, that makes me a bigger cnut. Should I just punch one of them? I know a palm to the nose is better, but any suggestions. Wait outside and kill them one by one? It really is a dilemma.

2. you want to try Chile mate...

Each shop has about 15 gazillion shop assistants, not one of whom is interested in helping you...

Makes the New Yorkers look positively welcoming...

3. Hahahaha..... try shopping in Russia........ LOL

4. Come to Hull, you wont complain about Slovakia, Chile or Russia or any other place ever again. :lol:

5. Try buying a rail ticket in russia, you actually have to get physical to stop people elbowing in past you as you discuss your requirements with the miserable cnut behind the counter

Plus all rusians travelling by train have big hands, big noses and have generally scoffed a litre of bad vodka each

6. IF I worked in a supermarket and some cnut asked where the beans were I would get the hump too,isn't everything in a supermarket on plain view???Only a retard would ask in the first place.As if working for minimum wage isn't tough enough without ignorant imbeciles asking bone questions every 5....jeez

7. And that is exactly why you get unhelpful shop assistants, because they are as mind numbingly thick as grippar.

8. Yeah well that's as maybe but I've never failed to navigate my way round Tesco in Hull or anywhere else.

9. If you unable to navigate your way round a supermarket, anywhere in the world, you have no right to be out on your own in the first place.

10. Ive been to Hull. Is it in the world? Not in my world Inshalla.

11. Are Polish people are rude?
    I’ve thought about this long and hard. Everybody I’ve ever met who’s been to Poland has wrestled with this question. And almost everybody thinks it’s kind of true and kind of not true. This is the current state of my understanding:
    The truths
    1. Polish people in shops, businesses, and government departments often appear rude to foreigners visiting Poland (not to mention to other Polish people).
    2. Polish people are extremely polite and hospitable in private social situations.
    3. Polish people sometimes are, in fact, extremely rude because they like being extremely rude.
    In other words, there is no simple answer to the question ‘Are Polish people rude?’ Sometimes they are, sometimes they are not. The problem arises because the occasions on which they are rude and the occasions on which they are not rude do not correspond to the expectations of the average Western visitor to Poland. This is known as culture shock.
    The reasons
    1. Polish people working in shops, businesses, and government departments at the ‘customer relations’ level are usually poorly paid and utterly disinterested in the public perception of the institution they work for. In these situations they tend to feel powerless and undervalued. It’s not difficult to understand why these people fail to interact with customers in a positive and smiley way. I wouldn’t, and neither would you.
    2. The woman behind the post office counter who treats you as if you were slightly less important than the dirt she wipes off her shoes would, if you met her in a private social situation, be a paradigm of politeness and hospitality. The private and the public spheres are strictly but unconsciously divided in the Polish mind, If a person is introduced to you by a friend you treat them with genuinely impeccable politeness and generosity. If you happened to meet the same person in the guise of a customer or passerby on the street you treat them as if they were a potential child molester.
    3. And this is the ace in the hole that adds spice to the issue. Rudeness is an art form in Poland. Polish people take great, but secret, delight in the devastating insult or social slight. It appeals to the essentially black nature of Polish humor. In other words, sometimes Polish people are rude because it’s extremely funny to be rude. Just about every Polish film regarded as a ‘classic’ features endless scenes of incredible and extremely funny rudeness. After many years I have to admit, it IS in fact very, very funny.

12. Pissing myself laughing. No really :roll:

13. At the other end of the scale: My daughter has a Saturday job at our local Woolies. Today her manager told her that a customer (not a member of the GasGasGas family) actually 'phoned in to say that she had been very helpful etc. The fact that my daughter had been helpful did not surprise me - being a properly brought up young gel - but that someone would make the effort to ring in quite stunned me. :eek:

14. Hooray for competitive advantage.

15. Sorry Grippar, I haven't the faintest where you got beans from.....I won't eat them after a rather explosive experience nearly tore the porcelain apart. Nah, what gripped me was having dicked me around with the cardreader they made me go to the bankomat outside for cash and actually thought it was funny when I finally got back. Oh if only it had been Bosnia and I'd been a squaddie - sticking the working end of a 7.62 up a nostril would definitely have insured service with less of a smile. As I said, I'm usually a model customer - in, buy, pay, out .... but the scum in this shop even make that painful on a day-to-day basis. Shopping in C. Europe is rarely nice. The words " Who the fcuk do you think you are?" have been part of the transaction about 3 times since 1992 and frankly it's a miracle I have:;t assaulted anyone in that time either