Rucking - Shoulder padding

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer

Site Admin

War Hero
Yes I am training - trying to build up some conditioning over time. I carry flour because - all jokes aside - I actually do bake - so it's useful to me outside of training, it sits well in the pack and doesn't move about to much, extra weight I carry is easy to measure (I haven't got a scale - so I can just add up 1.5kg bags). Anyway - thanks for your advice - I'll bear it in mind ;-)

Just out of interest, have you ever walked up here:

F139A6B1-B9A2-45D1-B1EC-24B5B2E65FE3.jpeg

I'm glad you brioched the subject. I've spelt out what you knead but, shucks, I'll let you winnow out the wheat from the chaff. I won't make a whole meal of it. Getting it wrong could be a PITA but don't get sour - dough you could. Work through the petit pains and don't run off home to naan. Stick it. Some people are trying to get a rise out of you but just knock them back, they're just barm cakes. Crumbs, it takes more than this to take some muffin from the cottage and make soldiers.

I hope you've gleaned something from what I've tortilla.

Site Admin

War Hero
I'm glad you brioched the subject. I've spelt out what you knead but, shucks, I'll let you winnow out the wheat from the chaff. I won't make a whole meal of it. Getting it wrong could be a PITA but don't get sour - dough you could. Work through the petit pains and don't run off home to naan. Stick it. Some people are trying to get a rise out of you but just knock them back, they're just barm cakes. Crumbs, it takes more than this to take some muffin from the cottage and make soldiers.

I hope you've gleaned something from what I've tortilla.

That deserves a chapati on the back.

Armaflex pipe insulation or similar ; see your friendly local chilled water pipe installer! Black nitrile foam.
See the manufacturers installation instructions for the correct method of installing it, preferably slide it over the straps without slitting it open.
This.
Lightweight as f... and cheap as chips.

jsm83

Swinger
@Bodenplatte - "But I don’t know which chiabattalion" - You Spelt that wrong
@smartascarrots "Because she's the toast of the town." - She has a name you know. Allison's.
@Bodenplatte "One of the Upper Crust, is she ?". - Wheat don't have to keep this up you know. There will be a dust up and someone will get battered. I don't see why I should take so much flak - you lot Barley even know me. I'll keep working at my condioning plan and hopefully make some cereal grains.

I regularly hike in the countryside - 12km with a pack.

I load my pack with 33kg of flour (I think the pack probably weighs 3kg + I take 3kg water with me - so full weight on shoulders & waist is probably minimum of 39kg ??).

By the end of the walk - the shoulder straps are digging in a lot - I'm using waist strap to try take pressure off - but I can see this being an issue in the future as I increase the weight.

Anyone have any fixes to take the pressure off? Or is it just a matter of getting on with it?

I have a Berghaus Crusader 3.

You need to be careful. If the ruck goes to ground and you get your tittie grabbers in there it'll be a penalty against you.

Site Admin

War Hero
The Guzzi club used to hold a rally in Shaftsbury on Bank Holiday August.
It was a dare I was stupid enough to try. I don't think anyone got all the way.

I guess the bread delivery occupation has gone the same way as HGV drivers; I remember when Hovis delivery boys had to pedal up there, not cruise up there on an Italian motorbike.

jsm83

Swinger
@Site Admin - never walked up that hill - I assume it's something you spend a lot of time running up in the army? never been in British military (i can delete my account if the forum is ex British military ONLY).

Joined the forum to try and solve the shoulder strap problem - thanks for the advice / tips everyone

Last edited:

Stan_Deesey

War Hero
- never walked up that hill. never been in British military (i can delete my account if the forum is ex British military ONLY).

Joined the forum to try and solve the shoulder strap problem - thanks for the advice / tips everyone

Nooo! Please stay. You´re very welcome.

You´ve started one of the funniest threads on here - even if some of the replies are a bit groanworthy.

Start some more threads: are there any other foodstuffs that you like to carry around?

Sarastro

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer

I load my pack with 33kg of flour (I think the pack probably weighs 3kg + I take 3kg water with me - so full weight on shoulders & waist is probably minimum of 39kg ??).

By the end of the walk - the shoulder straps are digging in a lot - I'm using waist strap to try take pressure off - but I can see this being an issue in the future as I increase the weight.

Anyone have any fixes to take the pressure off? Or is it just a matter of getting on with it?

Wider straps. There used to be plenty of 'aftermarket' add-on straps, but will depend on which country you are in. Ultimately at 40+kg your shoulders are going to hurt a bit whatever you do, so yes getting on with it is part of the answer.

I'd suggest you are carrying too much weight. There is nothing you need to train for at 40kg that you cannot train better for at <30kg, and that includes hiking or military tests at 40+kg. There's an exponential scale of how useful / good for you training above a certain weight is. Assuming you are average male build, after about 20-25kg, the training utility of walking or running with weight goes down rapidly with every extra kg, in that you are doing more damage to yourself (overuse injuries) per kg for little to no additional benefit. You are also substantially raising the risk of a traumatic injury (e.g. going over on your ankle) because beyond a certain weight even a small error means a large chance of injury, just as it does with heavy static lifts in the gym.

If you are fit enough to move fast over a distance with 20-25kg, you'll be fit enough to move slowly over the distance with 40+kg. You should do a regular program of faster activity with less weight, and only mix it up with very occasional longer, slower activity with more weight as a test / preparation for whatever event you are doing. The rest should be gym work (squats, deadlifts, leg exercises) with higher weights, or overload (squats, lunges, stepups, etc) with low or no weight, which will build the required leg muscles.

Just remembered...

If you can affix a strap between the shoulder straps and across your chest, that IME does help take some of the weight off your shoulders.

Amazon product

Sarastro

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Just remembered...

If you can affix a strap between the shoulder straps and across your chest, that IME does help take some of the weight off your shoulders.

Amazon product
No no no!

Constricting your chest and lungs to have less hurty shoulders is incorrect tabbing form. More breathing, less whinging. Chest straps are for bimbling and women.

Latest Threads