RUC/PSNI medal vs NI prison service medal.

Discussion in 'Medals' started by CivPlod, Jul 31, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Curiosity question here,

Is there a reason why the RUC medal was discontinued in 2001(on formation of PSNI)yet the NI prison service medal was continued?

I could fathom it might be something to do with encouraging Catholics into the PSNI, but surely that should have applied to the Prison medal also?

Sent using the patented Telsascope and telsa coil by Nikola Telsa, from Mars.

2. The Prison service (a) was not 'disbanded' due to political pressure from the republicans (b) didnt suffer a name change.
    As such, the RUC no longer exists:
    The Police (Northern Ireland) Act 2000 renamed it the Police Service of Northern Ireland (incorporating the Royal Ulster Constabulary); shortened to Police Service of Northern Ireland for operational purposes

3. Yeah, I get that. But why not rename it the PSNI medal?

What lead it to be discontinued? If it was all about marginalization of Catholics, then surely that went on in the prison service too.

4. Is there a PSNI Service Medal?

5. No, the RUC medal was discontinued in 2001. Nothing took its place.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. Seeing as it was awarded after only 18 months service, is it not obvious why it has ceased? Just like the GSM...

The war is over etc etc.

• Like Like x 1
  7. ooh ooh I've one of the prison medals,
    serious note, we had no issue with catholics in the maze or maghaberry, can't remember any problem with it, catholics had a problem outside amongst their community , but not amongst prison staff.

Just like to add, my post refers to the eighties period when prisons were prisons and police were police.

8. Then why wasn't the prison service one discontinued?

9. I've heard from some ex RUC chaps it was the same in the RUC, although that might be rose tinted glasses talking!

As I said at the start, this is a curiosity thing.
    I find it strange that two medals issued to reflect the uniqueness of working in the province(as compared to the mainland) has one discontinued and the other continued, whilst the
    uniqueness of that job continues!

10. Could it be that the police force in NI had to be changed to suit the nationalist community?and any sort of awards and decorations leaning towards the British establishment were frowned on by the likes of (I shot a prison officer in the face Gerry Kelly)
    I still live here and my view of the police SERVICE is ...do you remember the first police academy film? where they took in anyone regardless of shape size or fitness, well that has come to pass over here, they are exempt from using an iron or cleaning their boots the scruffy twats.
    I have as you guess a sort of bounce banana view on the local dibble.

11. Not at all, one of the cops from
    My shift transferred to PSNI in 2007, he said during the interview process the Protestant lads were turning up in suits, the catholic lads lads a state, said he saw one in jeans and a T-shirt.

With my irish catholic name and family line I should have transferred, I'd be a Supt by now!

I have heard that they want to reintroduce a RUC type medal, but who knows.

12. I believe that the PSNI medal has been agreed in principal. The symbolism has yet to be agreed. It is likely to be of a similar qualifying criteria as the RUC service medal, after 18 months service. I'm guessing it will be issued within the next 12-24 months.

13. Is the NIPS medal still awarded? I thought it was binned in 2002?

14. The Police long service medal is still issued to PSNI officers, I even got a spare jubilee medal from them. All of the above still have the Queens head on them. I led to believe we "peacetime peelers" will be getting a PSNI service medal, once every tick in the world is completed............in triplicate.

• Like Like x 2
  15. The medal was in recognition of the brave service of the men and women who served this province in troubled times . The PSNI is issuing its own medal to members who have served a minimum of 3 years and its coming out of the police budget