Rubbish Games

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by Ritch, Nov 17, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I decided to start this thread after buying a couple of games in the past few weeks that should have been spectacular and sadly, weren't.

My idea is that if you don't like a game for specific reasons, ( not just 'cause you're no good at it :) ) then post what the main faults are, and people who are thinking of buying can share your feedback.

I'll start off with Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II :-

After playing the first TFU game, I had high hopes for this sequel. I was particularly looking forward to wielding the dual-lightsabres, use the new and modified Force Powers and getting stuck into another engaging campaign.

One thing about this sequel is the length of the story. I completed it in 3 hours on 'Hard' difficulty, evn shorter than MoH! The game is very repetetive and a quarter of the way through the campaign, the game freezes for a couple of seconds every time you kill anything, which is a major pain in the arse!

To be honest, LucasArts seem to have taken a step-back from the first SW: TFU, made a disappointing campaign and added a few novelties like dual-lightsabres and decapitation in the hope of making gamers think its a fantastic game.

3/10.

2. Surely there is no reason to 'blindly' buy games these days what with the number of online review sites and forums available.
    If there is something I'm not sure about I'll wait to find a 2nd hand copy or when it is reduced.

3. Fair do's. I posted this thread because I thought that you had to be a member of the Review team to review a game. Because I'm not, I thought I'd post my review of that game, and if others wanted to do so, they could. Now I've had another shufty round the review section, I realise I'm wrong.

Sent a note to the CO's asking for this to be removed.

Cheers

4. Bad CO

Bad CO LE Admin Reviews Editor Gallery Guru

No need to remove the thread and yes we do publish reviews which we think are good enough (the review, not the game!). You don't have to be a member of the 'official' review club for this to happen though. If you want to review a game then put down 4-500 words about it in this forum and, if we like it, we'll 'promote' it into the eternal glory that is the reviews section!

The added bonus is that we do occasionally get free games to review (not many so far though) and guys who have reviews published in the reviews section will get first refusal!

5. BrunoNoMedals

BrunoNoMedals LE Reviewer

4-500 words? Have you seen my last effort?!

6. Ahh okay! Thanks for clearing it up.

7. chrisg46

chrisg46 LE Book Reviewer

One of my gripes with games these days is that they are so bloody short! I remember spending ages playing through the first Half Life game, and i am playing the first rainbow six vegas game again, which while i am not playing religiously is taking me a pleasurable amount of time :)
    Whereas i rented medal of honour a few weeks ago, and finished it within 5 days. I understand black ops is similar?

It seems to me that these days, developers get the game designed but then just rely on multiplayer to continue, as it just is a case of doing a few (admittedly well designed) maps and then letting people loose. A singleplayer involves a host more factors so the game will take longer to release and is jsut more work.

Personally, i prefer the acheivement felt by completing a hard campaign is far more worthwhile than shooting some snotty 13 yr old chav.

As a side note, why do so many games now end with the death of the character? Medal of Honour, Call of Duty Modern Warfard 1 & 2, and so on...

8. BrunoNoMedals

BrunoNoMedals LE Reviewer

Well no-one dies at the end of MW1 or MW2, apart from the bad guys and some side characters (supposedly Gaz in 1, although I reckon Ghost in 2 is Gaz... but he dies again anyway!)

If the lead protagonist in MOH dies at the end, then I'd just like to thank you for fucking up the end of a storyline I was actually planning on buying at some point in the near future. Supposedly the only decent thing about MOH is the quality of the story (length of it aside). I'd hate to think I now know the ending.

Let's just hope your grasp of modern gaming storylines is as good with MOH as it evidently is with MW.

9. chrisg46

chrisg46 LE Book Reviewer

Oops, i guess i am off your xmas list.

In fairness, MOH is ambiguous so dont take my word for it!

Actually your right, its not the main character that dies in the games i mention, but it does seem an increasing trend in other games i wont mention in case i b*gger it up for someone else!