RTU been AWOL 2 months

Discussion in 'Army Pay, Claims & JPA' started by David2008, Sep 2, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi,

I went AWOL late june of this year from DST, reasons being that I was reported depressed by a MO and they failed to get me the CPN they had promised countless times and had been given numerous appointments only to be told he is still at catterick...

The army had been helping me with some debt I had accumulating since feb this year, and they have put the depression and de-motivation down to the fact that I barely had enough to fuel my car to go home even on payday...

I have had the WRVS and AWS onto me saying that I should come back, and I have explained to them everything and why I went AWOL, also spoke directly to my 2IC and he said come back before 120 days and you will avoid going to colchester, and that they promise to help me out with the depression (which to be honest isnt as bad as it was) and sort out some IVA for my debts...

Question I have is, what the hell will my punishment be (roughly) if im not going to the glasshouse? My 2IC seems to know how much I loved my job and never went AWOL because I hated it, so even if I was to get court marshalled im sure he would speak on my behalf too.

My guess is maybe X amount of weeks ROP's and confinement to camp, loads of works parties, inspections and a fine, but I'd like to know roughly and in around exactly what disciplinary action i could be facing (albeit saying they will help me, he also said himself and the sergeant major cannot detail what will happen over the phone, it will all be done in the process, because i also have to face the general, because at the end of the day i have still committed a military offence)

Im quite open to receiveing a harsh punishment, because im a firm believer of do the crime, do the time, however its not me im worried about, my fiance and step daughter have re-located next to my unit so that i can be with them once i return to unit from being awol (next week) when she moves into the house the same day im turning myself in voluntarily, i know shes going to want to know whats happening, but im also guessing from entering the gates and reporting to the guardroom i will be sent to a cell, and no time for a phone call etc? (i have no uniform whatsoever, its all up at DST...) im just quite confused as to how its going to pan out, logically, from going onto camp?

Just to add its been made quite clear that it is not within the 2IC or CSM's wishes to have me discharged, so im almost certain i'll be back on track after the punishment has been served.

So anybody been in this situation or delt with this situation let me know how it all happened.

Thanks, and im open to flames and/or genuine replies, ive been on arrse long enough to know there are loads of civvies posing to be soldiers thinking they are internet warriors :)

2. Before all the p*ss takers have come on and slate you.....you have started the ball rolling by speaking with the CofC so get your self straight back to your camp. Speak with your 2ic/CSM let them know that your turning up back in camp and your doing it voluntary rather than being picked up by MPs/police and as you say face your punishment. The sooner you do this the better as you can sort your life out and your family and you arent constantly looking over your shoulders. Regarding punishment no point speculating though as it will be an individual case but if you get this sorted sooner and do it on your own back then who knows you may find you still have a career.
    The matter regarding finances speak to Citizens advice first of all and they will hopefully be able to point you in the right direction at decent companies who will try and resolve your issues....dont bury your head in the sand

3. Dont worry lad they will treat you nice , put yer to bed ,read yer a bed time story and let yer play outside. with yer muckers!!!!!!!

HONESTLY YOUR GET THE BASIC TRAINING TREATMENT NOT LIKE THE OLD MCTC BED BLOCKS AND AMMO BOOTS UP YER ARRSE

4. The_IRON is quite right.

Get back to camp and get things sorted. If you are £100 in debt you have got a problem, if you are a £1,000 in debt the bank has got a problem. Get some help as soon as you can, you will feel much better.

Be honest with everyone, including yourself and work hard at getting your life back on track.

I’ve known a few soldiers who went AWOL early in their careers and they went on to do the full 22 and leave as SNCO’s. (With a bit of time added on that they owed)

Everyone makes mistakes. Good luck fella. Let us know how you get on.

5. David2008,

Isn't this your second crack at the army, you having jacked the first time?

Now you've gone Awol during Phase 2/3 training. I bet people are queuing up to give you another chance.

If I was your boss and you rang up bleating, I'd tell you you weren't getting nick or discharge. Then when you tipped up back at camp, you'd be straight into pokey until we kicked you out, with no more than a TA recruitment brochure to read on the way home.

6. Banker

Banker On ROPs

You might drop Porridge Gun a PM on the debt/IVA issue, he's all over that stuff, seriously.

Get back to camp pronto and the very best of luck to you.

7. Either way, you need to get back to camp, explain your side of the story and accept what's coming to you. Quick march, soldier!

8. Yeah it is my second time in, im not going to argue, i have been very stupid regardless for what i have done, but i do love my job and will face anything if it means i get to keep my job, thanks everyone though, some really good replies :)

9. TheresaMay

TheresaMay LE Moderator DirtyBAT

I'm a little worried you're asking for advice on here - after all, the 'internet warriors' as you adequately put, can be quite uncompassionate in their responses, especially as they don't know you from Adam and might think it's funny getting you to shit yourself by saying things like "I hear Colly do good bread and water buddy". And with you clearly being of a fragile state of mind - I'm not sure you're the 'water off a duck's back' type.

The other problem to consider is with the Armed Forces fully manned, and the government looking to cut back here there and everywhere, I'm not entirely convinced you'll be shown the same level of benevolence as you would have say, 10 years ago. There are many soldiers who have huge debts, family issues, all kinds of circumstances outside of the wire that could impact on service life. Those that prioritise efficiently and not let it impact upon them, demonstrate the ability to deal with pressure in high tempo situations. Those that let circumstances rule their lives however, don't.

Put yourself in your commander's place - who would you rather employ? You may be good at your job, but you are expected to be. Given your history what good is that though, if your lottery numbers don't come up one night and you decide to leave the country?

My advice would be to echo the Iron's words - grit your teeth and face it head on, but be prepared for the worst. If all else fails and you end up at MCTC - at least you'll have proved you have the moral courage and (provided your stay is in A Coy and not D Coy) a better career once you've done your stint.

10. You've had 2 chances at a job most young lads are gagging for. Waste of rations. Hope you're mag to grid asap.

11. Everyone has covered the advice, get back and do it voluntarily, this will be in your favour when it comes to sentencing. If you are serving with a Bn in the NE of England and being a little economical with your dates (ie; may not Jun) stay away, i've enough case work already!!

You asked about sentence, admit to it (no defence for AWOL anyway) and you will gain credit, make sure you get a good Assisting Officer who can help you articulate yor plea of mitigation well. All this is taken into account at the hearing. you will go infront of the CO for 2 months AWOL (unless he goes for Court martial). Least you could get ROPs (up to 14 days) and / or fine (28 days). Or something called an SSPO (30,60 or 90 days, complicated!! but basically a supervision order with a reducing scale of restriction over time) Worst, detention, if the CO requests extended powers 90 days, if not 28 days.

My CO is brilliant at these cases, he can spot a bull story a mile away, but also if a genuinely serious mitigation he is compassionate but firm and fair

12. Thanks smoggy, best and most helpful reply yet.

Hopefully as my CO is a good, laid back bloke, he won't go for the court martial (cross fingers)

And I only hope I only get the 14 days ROP's with the fine, but I will have to find out on monday when i turn myself in (gulp)

Oh well, as they always say, man up and crack on haha

Thanks guys :)

13. Also make sure you get back and see the MO when you return, if you feel you still need to see a CPN and you're left waiting an obscene amount of time and things start to get worse speak to someone whether it's the MO again some one in your chain of command or the padre.

Be aware that in my experience DCMHs can be very very busy depending on what units they're responsible for and how many staff they have. I once had to wait 6 weeks for an initial assesment from a CPN. There are also other factors involved I've been told about but I won't go into that here in case I give out duff advice/information.

14. Get yourself handed in before you get picked up. All it takes if for one copper to PNC you and you'll be nicked and handover after a magistrates apperance.

In my experiance (not that i've gone awol myself) is that a soldier who hands themselves in gets a hell of a lot of leeway when it comes to sentancing on CO's orders!!

If you dont have the funds to get back to your unit, hand yourself in at the local plod/military establishment or even phone your 2I/C or SSM as advised above and you'll get a rail warrent to return/transport back.

Man up, hand yourself in and crack on with the next 22 years of your career!

MK

15. If you are in debt, crack out your training, get to your unit and get on a tour. I know the AAC only do pansy tours but you could volunteer for a tour of the correct length, and rake in a fair bit of cash. Pay off your debt and enjoy the rest of your life....

If you are at DST I assume you are getting your HGV or similar, so you could possibly sign up for a driving firm in civvie street (in UK) for extra cash. I've seen it done before.

Just a thought.

Now, I am no trick cyclist but. If you can't get home or go on the lash at weekends due to you monetary woes. Why not take up phys? Take yourself out for a good run at the weekends. The endorphins in your brain will make you feel good, and you'll start to feel better about yourself as you overtake others on PT, etc.

Just a thought. Better than sitting on the end of your bed thinking woe is you. I am not saying that a good run will sort you out, but you need to do constructive things with your time, and going home is not the be all and end all. In fact you'd be surprised how little cash you need for a good life.

What about the well known squaddie solution to debt? Doing others' (weekend) guards for them?