RTR Mess Kit, Blues and No.2s for Sale

Discussion in 'RAC' started by mysteron, Jul 12, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. mysteron

mysteron LE Book Reviewer

Anyone interested PM me please. Those who aren't don't bother. Thanks!!
    :D
    What's on offer:

No.1 Dress Jacket (Size: would fit a 190/112 coveralls wearer)
    No.2 Dress Uniform complete (Same Size)
    RTR Mess Kit with Overalls (same size again, but with a little extra for the gentleman - around the waist and neck!!)
    Mess Wellies (size 10M)
    Ash Plant

2. What´s the story on the Ash poles, a relic of 3RTR?

Honestly not a p*ss take,just interested :?

3. mysteron

mysteron LE Book Reviewer

Ash Poles are Pan RTR and are carried in Barrack Dress and No.2 uinforms. Historically, they were used by WW1 RTC officers to test the firmnes of the ground as they walked smartly in the face of the enemy and with their tank behind them.

4. During World War I walking sticks were often carried by officers. Such sticks came to have a new and greater use with the introduction of tanks which often became 'bogged' on battlefields, particularly in Flanders. Officers of the Tank Corps used these sticks to probe the ground in front of their tanks testing for firmness as they went forward. Often the commanders led their tanks into action on foot. To commemorate this, officers of the Regiment carry Ash Plant Sticks instead of the short cane customary to other Arms.

Oh and BTW it's called an 'Ash Plant' not a pole! :roll:

5. Thanks for the info,
    typical british army though,they give you an armoured vehicle and you have to walk in front of the bleddy thing! :oops:

Have a great weekend!
    midnight

6. I don't suppose by any strange twist this is still for sale some 6 yrs later?

7. It might be! I'll ask him over on another net if you like.

8. All at RHQ RTR!