• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

RTMC Rehabilitation let down

I am currently p7 and have completed 2 three week long physiotherapy courses at Chilwell, I am due on my third course next week. I have a huge feeling that this will be my last course with them, i wanted to leave that shithole of a place at least p3. But they are getting funny about soldiers constantly on courses when after a while they get rid of them anyway and hand them over to the nhs and demob them.

My problem is, how do I get upgraded by the army if they get rid of me with a p7 grading, after what I have been through I think i deserve to be kept in untill I get upgraded. I have shown great progress, I am tempted to break into a jog here and there but orthapedic surgeons have said I cant attempt road running till august. Chilwells problem is they have a limit to 4 courses max, even if i did a fourth course the last week of it will only start going into the august month.

It makes me angry when alot of the courses run I have been doing rehab with people who have injuried themselves on OP TOSCA by bike riding ect. When i have a combat injury from HERRICK.

I feel physio department and the chain of command have a shit prioierty list or just trying to get bums on seats to justify their department.

ONE ARMY...............is it ****!

Tips or advice.

Sorry about spelling mistakes ect.

Try approaching the issue from another perspective. Put the military to one side. You have a duty to yourself to get yourself properly sorted out physically for whatever time it takes, this August, next August, whatever it takes.

Take charge of yourself and stop whining at systems. You can jog, just not on hard surfaces. Get your arse down to a sports shop, buy a flotation waist jacket and get treading water up and down your local pool. Discuss with your physio what you can be getting on with. Write the advice down. Stop wittering about it on the internet.

Shake yourself out of this 'hard done by' syndrome, then get working.

i keep fit in my own time, when i go home on leave between courses ect. i was really fit before. What i am saying is how do I get upgraded by the army when i return to my TA unit when i discharge at P7.

Also the system and duty of care is shit. Why don't you Go Volunteer yourself as a TA soldier on tour, get shot at, go get injuried, come back and tell me about the system which you were told was equal to regular soldiers when you mobilised. It is not, a few general unspecific injury courses, not local to your parent unit, then shove them into civil street still injuried.

I want to soldier on, go on tour again. I don't want to put the military aside.

T

Tinman74

i keep fit in my own time, when i go home on leave between courses ect. i was really fit before. What i am saying is how do I get upgraded by the army when i return to my TA unit when i discharge at P7.

Also the system and duty of care is shit. Why don't you Go Volunteer yourself as a TA soldier on tour, get shot at, go get injuried, come back and tell me about the system which you were told was equal to regular soldiers when you mobilised. It is not, a few general unspecific injury courses, not local to your parent unit, then shove them into civil street still injuried.

I want to soldier on, go on tour again. I don't want to put the military aside.
You may want to reconsider what you have suggested there mate, Alec has been around a bit.

E

EScotia

Bearing in mind you haven't said how you were injured or what your injuries are, have you had a brief from RTMC or your unit on your eligibility to claim through the Reserve Forces Compensation Scheme?

Sad as it sounds but being released by RTMC as P7 should spark your unit into the PAP 10 process which will lead to your being discharged from the TA if you cannot get upgraded.

You really should be asking your unit the what if questions so you know where you are.

Bearing in mind you haven't said how you were injured or what your injuries are, have you had a brief from RTMC or your unit on your eligibility to claim through the Reserve Forces Compensation Scheme?

Sad as it sounds but being released by RTMC as P7 should spark your unit into the PAP 10 process which will lead to your being discharged from the TA if you cannot get upgraded.

You really should be asking your unit the what if questions so you know where you are.
Right, thanks for the reply, will go in on a drill night and ask, hopefully im not getting the wool pulled over my eyes as I want to soldier on. IED blast in afghanistan fractured my heel in 6 places, but bone has healed completly, just a bit of soft tissue damge and achillies tendon has taken much longer to heal. Did have shrapnel wounds but they have healed and only minor scarring left, no pain.

The_Duke

LE
Right, thanks for the reply, will go in on a drill night and ask, hopefully im not getting the wool pulled over my eyes as I want to soldier on. IED blast in afghanistan fractured my heel in 6 places, but bone has healed completly, just a bit of soft tissue damge and achillies tendon has taken much longer to heal. Did have shrapnel wounds but they have healed and only minor scarring left, no pain.
That is about as good a result as you could have expected from that type of injury, so you have been very lucky indeed! That said, soft tissue injuries can take a long time to heal, and often require physio and rehab over extended periods of time.

As you know, I am no fan of the medical system at RTMC (or RTMC in general!), but I think in this case that it is not unreasonable for them to look to discharge you prior to upgrading. You have no automatic right to be kept on just because you are P7, as you may be P7 for some time yet. You unit will arrange medical review boards as required throughout your recovery process. Start dealing with your ROSO or RMO and get them working on your case for you.

That is about as good a result as you could have expected from that type of injury, so you have been very lucky indeed! That said, soft tissue injuries can take a long time to heal, and often require physio and rehab over extended periods of time.

As you know, I am no fan of the medical system at RTMC (or RTMC in general!), but I think in this case that it is not unreasonable for them to look to discharge you prior to upgrading. You have no automatic right to be kept on just because you are P7, as you may be P7 for some time yet. You unit will arrange medical review boards as required throughout your recovery process. Start dealing with your ROSO or RMO and get them working on your case for you.
Thank you, awesome reply as usual. Going in tonight to see what can be done for the future. I have accepted how lucky I am considering my other mates have life changing injuries, but after 5 months on constant physio you forget and want to jump right back into were you left off. But I understand I could be p7 for a while, what's the criteria for upgrading, passing a pfa ect?

The_Duke

LE
Upgrading criteria are well outside of my experience, being one of the black arts practiced by the medical services. While you are biffed, do not put any undue pressure on yourself to race to full recovery - think about getting better for the rest of your life, not the next PFA.

Hope you get fully recovered soon.

Do you have letters after the P7 e.g. P7R? It's been a while since I looked at PULHHEEMS (admin) rules but if I remember rightly the letters afterwards matter.

Yeah i don't regret it, got 4 months in on a pretty grim tour for us. However I do know some people who are in the process of taking the MOD to court from help of the Royal British Legion for negligence. They are all TA soldiers that deployed to HERRICK. I had professionals blue In the face trying to get my on headly court and other rehab facilities but RTMC did not budge.

I Hope something gets sorted because I really feel sorry for the guys who are keen to crack on but be knocked down slowly by RTMC. Its happened to many I have spoke to. No matter what they say at mobilisation, your care if injuried is not equal to a regular soldier.

You will be far away from home, unlike a reg, have the most general course for rehabilitation, unlike a reg, and know at anytime they can get rid if you as you have a time limit there, unlike a reg.

You sound like one hell of a lucky bloke!

Best wishes mate

Yeah i don't regret it, got 4 months in on a pretty grim tour for us. However I do know some people who are in the process of taking the MOD to court from help of the Royal British Legion for negligence. They are all TA soldiers that deployed to HERRICK. I had professionals blue In the face trying to get my on headly court and other rehab facilities but RTMC did not budge.

I Hope something gets sorted because I really feel sorry for the guys who are keen to crack on but be knocked down slowly by RTMC. Its happened to many I have spoke to. No matter what they say at mobilisation, your care if injuried is not equal to a regular soldier.

You will be far away from home, unlike a reg, have the most general course for rehabilitation, unlike a reg, and know at anytime they can get rid if you as you have a time limit there, unlike a reg.
Interesting, I distinctly remember being told on more than one occasion by more than once source that you were kept mobilized until you were better.

Interesting, I distinctly remember being told on more than one occasion by more than once source that you were kept mobilized until you were better.
Yes you are kept mobilised, but only untill they think your well enough to pass over back to the NHS. So you wont be fully fit, ect. I was P0 until i was well enough for rehab. Then through rehab was ugraded to p7, that means I can do light duties ect. Now their next move is to hand me back over to my TA unit by demolisation when im still injuried. Well enough for the NHs but not well enough to return to normal duties.

Im lucky I have made a good recovery, the sad point is some guys with serious back/knee injuries are being demobbed and can't go back to their previous civilian employment. They have families to provide for. Its a shame. But im lucky in that respect

The_Duke

LE
Well it's a shameful state of affairs and on reflection it's disgraceful that the whole truth isn't being told to guys that join up. I even recall an example being made when I was going through phase 1 of an HAC trooper who was a trader and was being kept mobilized until better to the tune of a £250k a year salary. The rest of the conversation centered around how much additional cover one might want to take out and the advice was some to sort out issues in the super short term but don't worry HMG has got your back.

Obviously that's utter shite, much like those that proffer the notion.
And that is part of the reason that t_c is facing the issues he is - far too many people dragged out minor injuries for extended periods so they kept on their military wages (and often were doing a bit of cash work while still mobilised).

The _Creature, my case isnt quite the same as yours but basically when you are demobbed and returned to your TA unit as a P7 you will have a med board to determin if you will be able to be upgraded. If it apears you will be able to be upgraded then when you get fit and are ready you will have to sit a full med board (Lt Col x 3) to upgrade you from P7 to P3 (and then on to final full upgrade, again it can only be done by a full medical board. If your in London it will be done at St Tommy's.) Then you will have an annual full medical to determin what you can and can not do. You may be then placed on P3 deployable or P3 UKOPs dependant.

P3 UKOPs is basically you will only be able to attend exercises, and you may be excused various things, eg APFT, CFT etc.... even if you get P3 Dep you may still be excused various things and to deploy again you will need a full medical risk asessment on the job you would be doing on tour.

On another note, if the HAC lad who has been mention is the one I think it is then he is one of the few (living) people to have been through a double mine strike. One in the WMIK he was driving, and one in the Pinz that came to save him and drive him and his vehicle commander to the HLS for MERT pick up. His vehicle commander never survived the second mine strike. RIP a bloody good bloke.

The_Duke

LE
As for the ongoing costs of keeping people mobilized, if you accept that some people will be more expensive than their regular counterpart in role then you have to accept that if a %age of those are injured the cost of keeping them mobilized is also going to cost money. If the costs are so unbearable then either you're mobilizing too many, they're costing too much money or too many of them are getting injured and they're so much more expensive. i.e. you're sailing too close to the wind with the overall cost per mobilized head at whatever the rate of injury is.

And back tothe harsh reality - you are a TA soldier who is in the building industry in real life. You pick up an injury whilst deployed (or an old, non military, injury flares up) so you get put on demob hold. Facing the option of being demobbed (and thus no army pay) whilst struggling to find work in a difficult market, hanging onto that army pay suddenly seems very attractive. The brutal truth is that too many were swinging the lead, and so procedures had to be tightened. It is no different to the large numbers of people who declared themselves as self employed contractors on pop star wages, but when asked to produced tax returns etc to justify the wages, none could be found. Hence, the G1 checks to justify income and additional expenditure have tightened up significantly.

There is no problem with people being mobilised at a greater rate than their military rank, nor in putting them on demob hold for as long as is essential. What is a problem is expecting the army to pay their salary until such time as the soldier believes they should be demobbed, rather than as long as the system needs to be there to provide immediate support.

Frankly, in the case of t_c, he will be far better off getting decent physio on the NHS than the treatment likely to be provided by RTMC on a few exercise bikes and crash mats located between the surge accomodation and the shithouse.

Latest Threads