RTMC is its reallly needed

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by the_creature, Jun 1, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. After completing the round robins of kit issue and papaer work, passing test and now just signed on the line to be accepted into service i have the right to moan.

Its a piss easy, if your not a complete nugget or a medical fail you will pass the course, all the PFA'S CFT(AFT whatever it is today) should really be done in unit, for infanteers like myself we have done these minimum tests to death over the last 18 months.

The only people who really need the boost up to MATT 1 level is the CORPS in IMHO. They have a trade slot to fill so propably need the revision as most of them addmitted.

In my eyes RTMC is a sinking ship however im sure the army will keep it going for years to come, most tests could easily be done by units and medicals by GP'S or army doctors before mobilisation.

rant over what do you lot think.

Sennybridge and germany is next.
  2. Maybe not all the people who go through RTMC are TA?

I went through there as an regular Reservist who had been out of uniform for a couple of years so all those things were essential
  3. Not for TA. Which is why RTMC will be doing the validation of MATTS at units mobilising. Are you not on the mailing list? Next question.
  4. Great so instead of passing our troops onto RTMC to complete the mandatory tests upto the required level, get all the medicals done and kit issued and all the other bone things, lets put it back to the mobilising unit!!

Great more Policys to be written, more external assessments to be made to ensure every unit is doing it the same.

RTMC takes a lot of work off the unit, personally yes its Matt level 1 test but at least RTMC ensure that it is done to the same standard and do not have any problem Biffing someone where as a Battalion may be looking at numbers.
  5. True,

Also my mobilising unit couldn't/wouldn't sort my pay out, RTMC did.
  6. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

RTMC was set up because those Units mobilising troops failed to do so in a professional manner. It proved its worth with TELIC, when it coped with an astonishing surge in throughput, and did so bloody well.

It now 'mobilises' many, many others apart from just the TA - it's not a TA-only site. It deals with Regular Reserves, which are a pretty large number, Contractors going on Ops (and there is a LOT of them, too), as well a MOD cilivilans, such as MOD Police, Fire Service, Civil Servants, etc - and again, there are many hundreds of those each year. It also trains all sorts of other people who go out to Op theatres, from MPs and Ministers up to important people :)

In short - it does something well that others used to do badly, and it covers a very wide field indeed, far wider than just TA, or even just Infantry. And let's face it - in a couple of years there will be very few TA Infantry mobilised - but probably even larger numbers of supporting Arms and Services, Civvies, and others.
  7. G1 and G4 will still be done at RTMC. MATTS to be invaled by RTMC at unit.
  8. Why? it just causes more issues for the unit.
  9. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

t_c, you're coming to this as someone who has just completed a year and a half of DIE training to bring you up the level of a grade 1 Regular Infantryman, which is a) in itself a comparitively recent development, b) not common to those mobilising dedicated as it is to the Infantry only.

Even with the majority of MATTs now being tested at unit and thereby cutting down the fortnight stay for many units mobbing to less than a week, RTMC is invaluable as a station for G1/G4 administration. Your assertion that the majority of medical tests could be done beforehand by GPs and DMS doctors is, at best, uninformed. As OS pointed out RTMC was set up as a dedicated unit for mobilisation because of the occasionally inept manner of parent units who, in fairness, are just not geared up to handle this.
  10. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

They have to do the MATTs level 1 anyway as part of the build-up DIE training (this is Infantry) and so negating the need to replicate at RTMC and save time spent there, which is instead spent in Brecon live-firing.

Again, this is Infantry specific and likely is not the case for Other Arms.
  11. One that is a new one for me is that my lot (Corps) have to be up to day and night live fire section attack standard. Never done one at night to be honest.
  12. I wouldn't trust my Regt to get the administration of TA soldiers mobilizing right. Sorry but i'd keep RTMC if only to do admin, when my Regiment goes on Tosca in 2012/13 I dread to think what a mess will be made of things by the SPS/QM and other admin bods not to mention some seniors who will stick their noses into things which don't concern them just to appear like they have a job. If it were my squadron there would be no drama's but with the Regt it will be disaster.

RTMC will eliminate some of the potential to get basic personal details right and ensure soldiers get paid.

13. DIE.

Are you talking WTS

Yes great do your training for DIE but in theory this is something that should have been sorted ages ago as in theory its something you should have done to be a trainined soldier i.e WTS.

The big problem with the TA at the moment is that the WTS thing causes a big headache within the system as we are presented with big list of things to do but no real effective way of recording it, or back dating it.

The question you need to ask is why have your battalion has invested all this time and effort into providing the DIE training when you could fair at G1/G4.

And from and infantry background DIE training for our pervious mobilisation didn't properly start until they where through the door at Chillwell apart maybe for some of the field firing.
  14. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

Director of Infantry Employment (DIE) training was rolled out at the fag-end of 2009 as a result of the feedback from mobilised TA Infantrymen in regular units who had experienced a level of close and sustained Infantry combat and the conclusion that their training in the TA had been insufficient preparation for such.

DIE is an approximately 18 month programme to replicate the grade 1 Infantry training of a Regular Infantryman (edit to add apart from the usual MATTs, OFTs etc., this also includes training on a variety of different weapons systems used in theatre and range days for the same). Every TA Infantryman who is looking to be mobilised to serve with a Regular Infantry unit must have completed DIE training to be eligible for mobilisation. It's not a question of our battalion deciding to opt for it, but a directive laid down by DInf.

Ergo your contention that DIE training "didn't properly start until they where through the door at Chillwell" is a non-starter. Once they're through Chilwell & Brecon they'll be off to their unit to start months of pre-deployment/mission specific training.
  15. I'll have to dig it out and read it before commenting however, sounds like WTS, RTGS.

Considering we only conducted Live firing and some of the required OFTs at camp with the proviso that anyone wishing to mobilise had to have completed this part, then a couple of weekends prior to mobilisation, then I'm fairly sure that the training didn't really start until we got them back from Chilwell prior to us releasing them to their units for further training.

"variety of different weapons systems used in theatre" the problem here is the fact that these are not avaliable until you join the recieving unit so.

I never said it was an opt in or opt out just that it was a risky investment in training just to have someone fail at the G1 / G4 hurdle which is the major down fail of most TA soldiers.