RTCs to be commanded by regular COs?

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by msr, Jun 5, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. msr

msr LE

Is this all a load of crap, or are TA Comd appointments gradually being subsumed by The Borg?

msr

2. When from, ours is working quite happily as is........if it aint broke dont fix it!

3. I'd like to see that happen.

4. Just heard that RTCs are to come under direction of ARTD.

5. Can I be duty mong (as usual)?

With the exception of the reduced number of command slots, what would be the problem with Reg COs in RTCs?

6. msr

msr LE

That is the problem.

msr

7. Interesting idea, if true, not least because up to about 2 years ago RTCs were not a 'Command' and had CIs not COs. In my (limited) experience they were always seen as rather second string jobs for TA Lt Cols other than those who could not aspire to command their TA Regiments as they had a Regular CO only policy.

Illustratrative of a change in emphasis from the 'old' TA Regimental structure that seems to underpin some of the unhappier TA postings on here. Can't see it attracting any thrusters though.

8. Not heard this one. However, the dynamics of centralised reruit selection - all now passing through the relevant ADSC be they regular or TA - and the ADSC's relationship with RTCs is an interesting one. In this region there is a good deal of crossover and I can see how the Regular organisation might now take a keener interest in RTCs, but as for commanding them probably not an act of war just yet. BUT there is a need for at least 1 regular post at RTCs (and that's not FTRS/NRPS), probably at Trg Maj /2IC level.

9. msr

msr LE

If there are no TA Comd Appointments, what's in it for the TA Officer exactly? God knows it has been hard enough recruiting TA Officers over the last decade. Values and Standards come into play here: what exactly have we sold these youngsters and what chance do we have to make good on those sales promises?

Lose the Senior TA Officers and you lose the Capts / Majs who are at that decision point - mid 30's with conflicts from family and work. If there is no TA Career on offer and they are beyond the rank range for mobilisation then why would they not just leave? There may well be some sad people out there who live for admin but the number of leavers would tend to suggest there aren't many.

Lose the Capts and you lose the Subbies because a) there is no-one around to make them feel special and b) they get all the work the Capts would have done and that is just not going to keep a subbie motivated.

I am led to believe that the Review of the Reserves team had rather a shock when they saw the TA Offr manning stats.

msr

10. Is that it? Hardly the end of the world is it?

We've just suffered a reduced number of slots for trades and ranks. It happens, deal with it.

Or would I be better off moaning on an internet forum?

11. Nah. You haven't got it in you, have you?

12. if true, with the review happening, is this not a hint that RTC's are going to get a very large increase in their remit i.e centralised training centers for the production of IR's.

13. Only when they increase the budget considerably. Which is unlikely to happen. So unless we work for scooby snacks and a pat on the head from the brigadier before the helicopter takes off, I wouldn't have thought that would happen any time soon.

14. msr

msr LE

Or they strip it from one place and re-allocate it to another...

msr

15. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

msr,

I ask this as neutral minded JNCO who has neither the ability, inclination nor years left to progress much further, so am genuinely in the dark. Do TA officers really expect a 'TA Career'? The feeling I'm getting from your post is that people won't bother staying on to make Major because there's little chance of becoming a Lt Col. Isn't serving in the TA as a Lt/Capt/Maj enough?

You stated that no-one wants to do X amount of hours of paperwork (I certainly wouldn't), but doesn't the admin factor merely increase with rank? Surely this would counteract any desire for promotion? I mean honestly, what exactly does the CO of an RTC do apart from become buried in paperwork? It's one big admin job isn't it? Would the prospect of signing off scores of recruit training logs tantalise those "the Capts / Majs who are at that decision point - mid 30's with conflicts from family and work" of whom you speak?

I'm genuinely asking here because, devastatingly enough, I think StabTiffy2B has a salient point. Shouldn't our perspectives be "Is this good for the RTC?" rather than "Is this good for my promotion prosects?".