Rtc instructors

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by infromthestart, Jun 17, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The vast majority of instructors at I have spoken to RTCs absolutuely love the job. They have troops to command every weekend and have a real sense of achievement as trainees progress.

Given this , why are there so many vacancies in RTCs?

• Do units think that personnel are displaying a lack of loyalty by going to the RTC. Or Do units think that I am not going to see any benefit in my tenure so why should I send my best people? I.e. OC sub unit is only there for 2 years.
    • I know the Territorial Army does what it says on the tin but national TA travel from one end of the country to the other to train, so distance to the RTC can't be a show stopper can it?
    • Do the vacancies get down to sub unit level or get chucked in the Adjts bin?
    • Do they get chucked in the PSAOs bin if they do get down to sub unit level?
    • Is there some sort of trepidation in going to the RTC as an instructor because people think they are being put out to grass like the old BTTs, or perhaps what is required is not well known?

Any ideas?

2. Because most peeps have no idea as to how satisfying / demanding a job it is.

Wanna be the Cadre Senior to 60 blokes? Get to the RTC.

3. msr

msr LE

Just don't mention 3MI...

4. sniggers..

5. I think that in some units it is still seen as a place to go as a last resort, such as to get away from a shite OC or PSI you've had a fallout with.

Also seen as a dumping ground for shit Seniors, as opposed to something to strive to be a part of.

Before anybody starts 1st Parading the Outrage bus, Im saying that its the perceived state of affairs, not the actual state of affairs.

6. I have never heard of any vacancies. Sounds interesting job though.

7. What? There are DS vacancies at RTC's? Why didn't anyone say something?

8. I've always said that you get an immense amount of job satisfaction from working at an RTC, no matter what wing you're with.

They are always short of staff, I know mine is and units are loathe to send instructors even if only to 'guest' for a weekend.

As for being a good place to avoid going on ops.....ours currently has three instructors on Ops, with other members of the RTC having recently come back, so go figure.

9. Or Adjutant.

I think most of the blokes ( at RTC SE anyway ) have done Op tours. Never been posted there though. Or done an Op tour.

10. • Do units think that personnel are displaying a lack of loyalty by going to the RTC. Or Do units think that I am not going to see any benefit in my tenure so why should I send my best people? I.e. OC sub unit is only there for 2 years.

I don't think this is the case, I think rather it is that OCs are reluctant to release those who are qualified to instruct at the RTC as their unit then loses this asset.

• I know the Territorial Army does what it says on the tin but national TA travel from one end of the country to the other to train, so distance to the RTC can't be a show stopper can it?

Distance to the RTC isn't really an issue for us.

• Do the vacancies get down to sub unit level or get chucked in the Adjts bin?

All the vacancies are posted on the drill hall noticeboard at ours.

• Do they get chucked in the PSAOs bin if they do get down to sub unit level?

See above.

• Is there some sort of trepidation in going to the RTC as an instructor because people think they are being put out to grass like the old BTTs, or perhaps what is required is not well known?

This shouldn't be the case, generally we send personnel to the RTC and they subsequently come back to us a rank up. Unfortunately there is an expectation from the Bde to send a number personnel per unit to the RTC; when no-one is suitable, those who are sent aer inevitably of lower quality.